Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shipping rifle to myself...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by DSbur, Sep 18, 2009.

1. DSbur

DSbur Vancouver WA Member

Refresh my memory-

If I'm in Arizona visiting and I purchase a Rem.700 face-to-face, then ship it to myself in Vancouver WA, what am I missing? Honestly don't remember if it's legal to do so.

Or maybe I just oughta check it in baggage on the airline?

2. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

I believe fed law says you have to ship it to an FFL. Not sure about long guns but I know that you can take handguns with you. You'll need to contact the airline and find out what their policy is. I wouldn't suggest trying to take as part of your carry on though:D

3. VinnieBoomBah

VinnieBoomBah Hillsboro OR Active Member

I don't think, as a Wa. resident, you can legally buy a firearm FTF in another state. So shipping is the least of your worries. What part of the big Az. you going to?

ETA links:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4893352

4. eriknemily

So I realized that I missed the whole FTF part of this sale. Unfortunately, I think the only way to do this legally is to have the seller ship it to the FFL of your choice in your home state. The seller doesn't have to be an FFL or ship it through an FFL if I recall correctly. I would make sure you ship the ammo separate from the rifel:)

5. VinnieBoomBah

VinnieBoomBah Hillsboro OR Active Member

This is true, but it is also important to make sure that the FFL in Oregon will except shipments from a non-FFL sender.

6. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

7. eriknemily

8. eriknemily

So I think I spoke out of ignorance again. Here's what the ATF website says:

Clear as mud?:D

9. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

10. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

what about if you are from alaska and you move to CONUS... can you mail the guns you already own to yourself?

11. ikona

ikona west of pdx Member

Check out FedEx rules. But I suggest that you just bring it back on the airline, it is no big deal. I travel with several 1911's in check baggage quite often.

12. eriknemily

When shipping a firearm via ups or fedex etc. simply mark the package as sporting goods. They don't need to know that it is a firearm. Insure the package for what it's worth, don't ship it with ammo and you should be good. The best way to avoid all of this is to find someone in your own state to purchase a gun FTF. That way big brother doesn't know about it at all:thumbup:

13. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member