JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to ship hand gun slide (without barrel) to manufacture for warranty work. Yes, I am going to ask them for prepaid postage, but in worst case.

Is it legal to use USPS priority flat rate box?

Yes, I had a really dumb old timer USPS guy tell me once any gun part is illegal but I know for a fact that it is fine as long as it's not a frame/receiver because I used to ship parts every day. Even the registered parts can be legal, depending

I know this for a fact because one of my packages once was roughly handled and an AR15 upper barrel poked thru.. a USPS inspector called me and asked what it was, and he was fine with it just being an upper. He never fully opened it and just repaired the box and off it went

As long as you don't ship the serial numbered grip, that's considered to be the "gun". The rest are, as someone already posted, "parts". No need to declare them unless you're buying insurance and even then I'd just say "machine parts" if I had to declare what the parts are.

No, it's only the handgrip on a pistol. That's all BATF considers to be the "gun"

Actually, there is an exception to that. The Beretta Neos has a separate grip that is removable from the frame. I don't know if there are any other exceptions, but as far as I know it is whichever serialized part the BATF deems to be the receiver/frame, which usually is the grip frame on a pistol.

I need to ship hand gun slide (without barrel) to manufacture for warranty work. Yes, I am going to ask them for prepaid postage, but in worst case.

Is it legal to use USPS priority flat rate box?

If it is for warranty work you may ship a firearms whole or in parts to the MFG. Yes even the serialized parts. I checked with the MFG (FFL) and my local guy (FFL) that I use and they both said the same thing when I did it. Below is federal law on the issue.

7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A).

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top