JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to decide between the Shield in 9mm or .40, and wondered if anyone knew of a range that has a .40 version for rent. I found one -- West Coast Armory -- but you have to be a member. I would seriously like to shoot both before plunking down my cash (OK, make that "before getting on a never-ending waitlist"). I've already tested out the 9mm.

Thanks!

Hello,

I bought the .40 and sold it. Too much muzzle flip. I think the guy I sold it too also turned around and sold it.

Bought a Sig 239 in .40. Much more control. Bigger gun.

Still thinking about a 9mm shield for back packing and the truck.

I have the Shield in both 9mm and .40
I would go with the 9mm because of the muzzle flip with the .40 . The recoil is greater too so it's
less comfortable to shoot the .40 than the 9mm.
I don't carry my .40 , I only use it for shooting at the range.
I usually carry a Glock 19 but when I need something smaller, I'll carry the Shield 9mm.

I agree, if you want a .40 get a bigger gun. I have a Walther PPQ in .40 and a Glock 22.
Both are much more controllable and much more comfortable to shoot compared to the Shield .40

And lest anyone thing I am a weakling female who can't handle a .40......my husband doesn't like the Shield .40 either. :s0114:

I would never accuse anyone of being a weakling, female or otherwise! Hey, if I had a nickel for every time I handed my husband a jar to open, I could hire a professional jar opener and let my husband focus on more enjoyable tasks. :)

And this is why I'm really hoping to shoot the .40, so I can compare the two for myself. Recoil is so subjective -- some say the Shield .40 is a bear, others say it's a breeze. What will it be like for me? I carry a fairly small .40 now (Sig P224, which is slightly smaller/lighter than the previously mentioned P239), and I can easily put hundreds of rounds through it in a session without any discomfort. I have no doubt the Shield in .40 recoils more than the 9mm version, I'm just wondering if it reaches the level of "I freaking hate shooting this thing" or if it's simply "more."

Last Edited:
Recoil is subjective. I don't think the Shield .40 is either a Bear or a Breeze.
I can shoot it well- not as well as the 9mm- and I can tolerate the flip/recoil.
But I just don't enjoy shooting it because it's definitely got more of both than the 9mm and
it's a lot more noticible than with larger guns (duh!).

Hope you can find a place to rent it from, or a friend to borrow it from.
Too bad you are in Washington or I'd say come on by and try mine out.

A bronze membership at West Coast Armory is about $35. Why not just join and rent it for yourself?

Yes, I'm aware that West Coast is an option. However, instead of getting a membership that will never be used (I've been there twice in the past decade and that rate likely won't increase in the future), I wondered if any forum members knew of other potential options.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top