JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few years ago I inherited my grandfather's 1894 Winchester. The story is that he received it, new, in 1912 for his 12th birthday. I'd like to research the carbine but the serial number is missing. It looks as if it's been worn away over time.

It's in great shape, I'd like to hunt with it someday.

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

My question is, is there another place on the carbine that the serial number appears?

Thanks,

P

Last Edited:
When you took the 2nd picture, did you have the lever open? I really doubt the Serial Number would be worn away. And, I don't think Winchester ever put the Serial Number under the Lever, but it's possible and worth looking. The Marlin Company put them under the Lever for a while. Your number should be on the Round area in front of the Lever on the Bottom of the Rifle. It should be visible in the first picture, but isn't. I've seen some VERY, VERY worn Model 94s but there has always been part of the Serial Number present.:):):)

Most of the serial numbers I have found on 1894's are on the bottom forward of the lever. Possibly on the lower tang behind or under the lever. I haven't disassembled my inherited gun from my grandfather to look under the furniture, but possibly on the receiver. It would be worth a look if you don't find it in any of the above mentioned places. I don't think the area forward of the lever looks like it was tampered with. The metal matches too well with the wood for a file job for that IMHO.

The numbers are there, they're just very faint. The pics don't show it but when I'm in a dark room with an angled flashlight I can see the outlines. I'm confident the numbers have not been obscured on purpose.

P

The numbers are there, they're just very faint. The pics don't show it but when I'm in a dark room with an angled flashlight I can see the outlines. I'm confident the numbers have not been obscured on purpose.

P
If they are there but faint try a magnaflux kit.

Send it to Winchester and have them re-strike the serial numbers. That's the only legal way other then an importer.

Just my opinon, but I wouldn't go through that hassle. If they are visible, even slightly, then they are just faint due to normal wear. Who's going to care? Personally, I wouldn't send off a family heirloom like that for fear of God knows what happening between the time I let go of it and it coming back home safe and sound.

The only time someone is going to want the serial number is if he sells it (I am presuming that isn't the OP's plan) or it gets used in a mass shooting, which we all know aint gonna happen because it isn't black, evil, semiautomatic (shudder), and doesn't have a a forearm handle o_O :rolleyes:

A few years ago I inherited my grandfather's 1894 Winchester. The story is that he received it, new, in 1912 for his 12th birthday. I'd like to research the carbine but the serial number is missing. It looks as if it's been worn away over time.

It's in great shape, I'd like to hunt with it someday.

View attachment 434786

View attachment 434787

My question is, is there another place on the carbine that the serial number appears?

Thanks,

P
the serial # will be on the underside of the receiver just behind of the forearm and nowhere else. there are other numbers in various places but they are inspector numbers or assembly numbers. newer guns will have serial number on bottom of receiver beside the lever.

Neither of the pictures posted here are anywhere near where the serial number is stamped. Its under the receiver near the junction with the forestock. They are stamped across the receiver.

The very fact that I wrote "worn away" should communicate that I knew where the serial number should be.

And yeah, I thought it was pretty funny.

P
So have you figured out what it was seeing as how this was asked four years ago?

Neither of the pictures posted here are anywhere near where the serial number is stamped. Its under the receiver near the junction with the forestock. They are stamped across the receiver.
Not all of the original pics are there, post was edited a few times since 2018

I wanted an answer 4 years ago.

Now, not so much.
You may not be so much interested anymore, but anyone who stumbles across this thread, in search of a similar answer, I can tell you that your gun was likely made before 1919.
That's the year that Winchester changed from a 4 digit model number to a 2 digit model number.
The problem with dating Winchesters via serial # is that lists posted on the net stem from a list compiled in the 1960's, I believe, and there was a lot of "Kentucky Windage" and a little "Alabama Elevation" used in creating that document.
I've been told that the actual Winchester records are locked away at the Cody museum and there are no examples available on the net.
So even if we did know the serial # of your rifle, the answer any one of us would've been able to give you should be taken with a little salt.
Considering the "Model 1894" printed on the tang of the receiver of your rifle, I'd say your grandfather's story holds water.
If its in good enough condition, shoot it, hunt with it, enjoy the heck out of it.
I'm sure it would've made your grandfather very happy to see it being used and appreciated by you.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads