JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone,
As this site has encouraged me to make a self-introduction, here is is:

I expect that I'm rather different from the majority of people on this list. I'm not a "red neck", I don't care about sports, I don't hunt (yet), I'm a "progressive liberal", I meditate daily. I'm what could be called a Sensitive, New-Age Guy. Not only are the vast majority of my friends not into guns, but a sizable number of them would be horrified to learn of my interest.

But I have become interested in guns because I'm convinced that modern, industrialized civilization is running itself off the edge of a cliff. I've studied it carefully and I'm convinced that 20 years from now we are going to be living in a very different world (and I don't mean that we'll have personal space ships and robot servants.) BTW, this coming collapse is being brought about by Republicans and Democrats alike. I'm disgusted with the whole lot of them.

Easily within five years and certainly within ten years, world oil production will be declining by something on the order of five percent annually. I believe that we have already passed the all time peak in world oil production (Peak Oil). Natural gas production will be declining around the same time. Most people don't understand what an important role fossil fuels have played in so many things that we take for granted. Much of that will beginning going away soon. There is no renewable energy source on the horizon capable of meaningfully replacing fossil fuels - especially with the utter lack of leadership coming from our "leaders".

My biggest concern is that in a few years there will be serious hunger and desperation in the US. I've chosen to become armed not to protect myself against the government (at least not directly and immediately), but I've become armed to protect myself against the less enlightened half of the population who may have difficulty finding food, but will presumably be able to get their hands on guns. In other word, I've become armed to protect myself from the more sketchy fraction of the gun owners. (How ironic is THAT?)

Anyway, that me and I'm happy to be here.
Villager

Welcome. While Joey is right, we accept all kinds, you will find some of us who are a little snarky. Don't take it personal, we already like you more than most new agey types, 'cause you're here. Good hunting.

Timely post, Villager!
Did you catch the WikiLeaks story about how the State Department knows that the Saudis have been overstating their reserves for years? The cables say that the jig is up, and in a year there will be no hiding the irreversible decline in Saudi production. Right now al-Ghawar produces something like a 90% water cut.

Add to that the utter crash of Cantarell in Mexico, and the future is looking pretty thin here in the States.

Anyway - I'm with you. It would have been hard to tell the wife, "You need to do this," but it worked out well to say, "Hey, this is what I'm doing, why don't you join me?" So we have our CHL's, we have his 'n' hers shotguns for the home, and I even got my first tax stamp for a .22 suppressor. I think that an Argentina-type decline is the most likely outcome, and the big dangers will be from common crime: theft, robbery, and kidnapping. Do you read FerFAL's blog? How about Theoildrum? Theautomaticearth?

We're all in this together, pointy-headed intellectuals and peckerwood rednecks alike. Politics don't matter when we're all on one side of the law, and the gangsta lowlifes on the other.

Besides, shooting is the most fun way I know to turn money into noise!

>>>We're all in this together, pointy-headed intellectuals and peckerwood rednecks alike. Politics don't matter when we're all on one side of the law, and the gangsta lowlifes on the other.

Chemist,
Yes, there are going to be some strange bedfellows emerging in the future. Progressive liberals have a lot more in common with "Tea Party" types that you might imagine. The similarity will become all the more noticeable when it becomes clear that Democrats and Republicans alike have been utterly asleep at the switch.

I read Kunstler's blog weekly and I'm always interested in what Mike Ruppert has to say - though I feel that they both can be a little overly alarmist or maybe they just like to scare people. I go the oil drum occasionally. I'll check out the other two sites your suggested.

Welcome. I'm sure you will have trouble finding people thinking that we are headed for collapse around here. :s0114:

It's getting harder and harder to find anybody who ISN'T prepping in one way or another. The total disillusionment with our craven, corrupt (R) vs. (D) political system has spread far and wide, from Tea Party to the Greens, Ted Nugent to PETA, and we can all see that the Establishment isn't going to permit real change without a fight.

But like with the Egyptians, the disagreement isn't about what we want to get rid of, it's what we'll do the morning after.

Welcome on, Villager! Yep, I too have had some friends & family members (from all across the political spectrum) express surprise, glee, horror, and many more emotions at my enjoyment of firearms, but all are interested :) . This is a friendly forum for real. Sure, there are some who might snark (regardless of your views on whatever) but that's the internerd in general :s0114: We're all in this together! If you get up around PDX let's go punch some paper, you can be my guest at the indoor range I'm a member at.

Um, the sketchy portion of "gun owners" you speak of would be the CRIMINALS who are not supposed to have guns in the first place.:s0131: I don't honestly know how Libs find there way into owning guns when they are the ones constantly pushing to ban them or the components to make them usable.:huh::huh: By the way just because you own a gun, shoot, hunt, or play sports does not make you a "REDNECK"!!
That said, welcome.......................I Guess??:s0131:

How the **** is my Harley suppose to run without oil?

And i think why most people are so horrified about guns is that they associate it with death and killing when the mojority of us here aren't into killing. They dont see it as a beautifully cut piece of metal.

Welcome aboard new aged hippie

It seems that more and more "progressive Liberals" are joining the group of proud gun owners. Welcome. oh, and even though I am more to the "redneck" bretheren, I won't hold your views against you. enjoy, learn and participate...

It's getting harder and harder to find anybody who ISN'T prepping in one way or another. The total disillusionment with our craven, corrupt (R) vs. (D) political system has spread far and wide, from Tea Party to the Greens, Ted Nugent to PETA, and we can all see that the Establishment isn't going to permit real change without a fight.

But like with the Egyptians, the disagreement isn't about what we want to get rid of, it's what we'll do the morning after.
Yep. People are prepping in various amounts for a variety of reasons. There's a lot more people who are doing something now than leading up to Y2K. The last decade has been very interesting to say the least.

Welcome, Villager!

I'm not a "red neck", I don't care about sports, I don't hunt (yet), I'm a "progressive liberal", I meditate daily. I'm what could be called a Sensitive, New-Age Guy. Not only are the vast majority of my friends not into guns, but a sizable number of them would be horrified to learn of my interest.

I have an excellent friend who is a new-agey yoga instructor, but also a hunter and firearm enthusiast. Sometimes her friends are not only horrified but completed baffled as to how she can reconcile the two. She, on the other hand, has no problem.

How the **** is my Harley suppose to run without oil?

Considering how full of Bull chips harley riders are, you should be able to convert to methane with no problrm.

Seriously, are y'all forgetting about the oil we have here?

And I am a Proud, White, American, English speaking redneck.

WELCOME ABOARD you fellow gun owner....

Besides, shooting is the most fun way I know to turn money into noise!

I don't know, playing guitar in a metal band is pretty fun way to turn money into noise too!

And in reference to the hippie types arming up, I met a guy last summer who falls into the hippie demographic. He was telling me how he's always been against war and violence, but in the last couple years he's been arming up. He now owns 12 guns.

I know another progressive liberal couple. They own a couple of guns and are looking for a good defensive shotgun now too.

The singer of my band is a registered democrat, but she owns a pile of guns and goes shooting regularly with her boyfriend.

Everyone, everywhere is arming up.

Villager-

You are not alone as being the flaming liberal who has come to his or her senses. You are on the right track and those that belittle or skoff your efforts are loathing there own laziness or self denial. If they admit things aren't right it is really scary to deal with.

We had two seperate customers come into the shop today with stories similar to yours. One is an artist who just came to this realization the other day and is getting his stuff together.

Good luck and welcome aboard. If there is anything I can help with let me know.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR