JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree, I found it odd the majority industry focuses on 4" and 6" barrels, but 3" and 5" seem to be sweet spot.

For so many years the 4" barrel was called for as a police duty revolver due to so many hours in a patrol car, longer just won't work unless it's hung on a swivel holster, most departments wouldn't allow them. So the compromise was 4".
Shorter than 4" also reduced the sight radius and velocity. so everything was a trade off. 6" was mostly for target or hunting. I had a Rossi 3" 44spl that I liked to carry on hikes, but the ammo was too expensive for me to stay practiced with it, so I sold it.
A 357 is more versatile and practice can be with cheaper 38spl loads.
Gabby

For so many years the 4" barrel was called for as a police duty revolver due to so many hours in a patrol car, longer just won't work unless it's hung on a swivel holster, most departments wouldn't allow them. So the compromise was 4".
Shorter than 4" also reduced the sight radius and velocity. so everything was a trade off. 6" was mostly for target or hunting. I had a Rossi 3" 44spl that I liked to carry on hikes, but the ammo was too expensive for me to stay practiced with it, so I sold it.
A 357 is more versatile and practice can be with cheaper 38spl loads.
Gabby
This ^^^

But for woods carry, the chest rig changes all that.
I had a Amazon gift card that eased the wallet pain on a Diamond D chest rig.
I see why they are so well liked, but they are pricey.

LOL Since my chest is now where my stomach used to be, that won't work for me.
I'll just have to stick with strong side behind point of hip or the pocket of my vest, if it's the shorty gun.
Gabby

I take my seven year old grandson shooting almost every weekend from now until snow makes it impossible to get back in to the Cascades. When we see other guys back in the woods we shoot the breeze with them.
The problem most of them had was running across tweekers. Some of the stories were down right scarry.
I swithed from carrying a 6" 357 magnum Ruger GP100 to a Glock 20 - 10mm with the 15 round magazine with two extra magazines. When we go shooting I let him carry a 38spl or a 357mag revolver just in case some BS comes along our way.
His ammunition is loaded down for him, i carry the high test stuff.

I take my seven year old grandson shooting almost every weekend from now until snow makes it impossible to get back in to the Cascades. When we see other guys back in the woods we shoot the breeze with them.
The problem most of them had was running across tweekers. Some of the stories were down right scarry.
I swithed from carrying a 6" 357 magnum Ruger GP100 to a Glock 20 - 10mm with the 15 round magazine with two extra magazines. When we go shooting I let him carry a 38spl or a 357mag revolver just in case some BS comes along our way.
His ammunition is loaded down for him, i carry the high test stuff.
G20 would be good tweeker defense.
You have your 'shroom hunters, brass pickers and homeless campers out there.

I always keep a G20 handy when I'm downrange servicing targets.

One guy I talked with walked down to swap out his target, while down range all by himself a guy came out of the woods to.his table grabbed one of his gund and robbed him of everything. All of his guns, his truck and all of his cloths.
That is why i always have a loaded side arm on my belt or chest and who ever I go shooting with needs to have one as well.

Another guy I talked with does alotof hiking in the North Cascades. He was alwsys a anti gun person until his little ordeal. Some times hecwould do a day hike, sometimes an over night or two. He would drive way back.in the forest service roads and then venture out from there. On one of his hikes he went back in on an over grown logging road that lead back to a lake. About a 1/2 mile in there was a sharp turn in the overgrown logging road and two guys were doing a meth cooking operation. They confronted him with two shotguns. Since then he carries a gun everyday/allday and he became efficaint with it.

One place we go shooting is six miles off the main road. I was shooting with.my doctor and an old guy stopped. It was on a monday. This old guy stopped to shoot the breeze and said one of his friends was taking his dog for a walk last friday along the river at the bottom of the mountain and got back in his car after his walk and a big black guy came out of the woods from across the road with a stick about the size of a baseball bat.
He locked his car door and the guy tried to smash the wimdow. A pickup truck came up the road and the guy dropped the stick and took off back in the woods across the street. Tje old guy said after that incident they will be carrying a gun from then on.

A friend of mine went to go shooting a few years ago. He wenr just before noon to the gravel pit up in lyman. When he got there it was already occupied so he went to another spot on a dead end log road. There was about two inches of fresh snowon the road and no tracks going in.
When he got to the cul de sack there was a beat up old car with a broken out back window that was covered up eith a piece of plastic and the car was covered with snow so it had to of been there since it snowed out .
He came0 to a stop and all of a sudden there was a guy at his drivers side door with a shotgun pointed at him asking him what the EF are you doing here. My friend said that was the most scared he has ever been. He had a loaded 357 revolver sitting on the passenger side of his pickup. If he would of made one move to grab it he would of got shot. The guy had the jump on him, there was nothing he could do. The guy let him go. He went to where he got cell service and called 911. It took about an hour & a half for two sheriff deputies to show up. He yold them what took place.they went back there and the car was gone. They followed the trackes into the woods and found his tent and his meth cooking operation.

It happens and when it does you can be done in the matter of seconds. Even miles back in the mountains you still have to be alert to your surroundings.

Like General Mattis said.
BE KIND, BE POLITE, BUT HAVE A PLAN TO KILL EVERYBODY YOU MEET.

^^ Exactly why you are much more likely to encounter two-legged threats in the woods than four-legged.

I carry a Glock 29 10mm with 10 rounds and a back up 15 round G20 magazine. That's my sidearm. I built and started carrying an AR chambered in .450 Bushmaster as well. Only 9 rounds, with another 9 round magazine in a holder on the stock, but it is big medicine against anything I'll come across.

A good aquaintance of mine goes bow hunting in southwest Washington for Elk. He camps way in the mountains then hikes in farther to hunt. He owns two antique revolvers, one is a 455 Webley and the other is a really old 357mag. If I shot it I would only shoot real low velocity 38spl through it.
So I let him use one of my 7 1/2" - 44 magnum Ruger Redhawks or my 5 1/2" - 41 magnum to carry while out in the wilderness.
He didn't borrow one this year, he figured he never had a problem in 25 years he didn't need it.
While on his stand he heard a weird noise he never heard before. It turned out to be a very small baby black bear. The baby bear seen him and made it's way to him to check to check him out. He tried quietly to shoo it away, then momma bear came into view and she wasn't to happy.
He said she was sucking in large anounts of air and started growling and snorting out large volumes of air.
She did three false charges towards him. All he had to protect himself was his bow and a fixed blade knife. He said while this was taking place the little bear wander off a little and climbed a tree.
The momma bear slowly made it's way to the tree where the little cub climbed into. When she wasn't looking at him he would back up and put some distance between him and them.
He said a couple of times he thought he was going to get mauled by that mother black bear but luck was on his side that day.
When he got home he went out on his next payday and bought himself a 44 magnum revolver.
Things happen and when they do you need to be ready for the situation what ever it might be.

I think just about any of them will work. More important than the cartridge is the load ! A pack of wolves , that is an interesting problem. Don't you think killing one would run the rest off ? A 9mm FMJ, has been proven surprisingly effective on grizzly bears punches through the skull nicely ! I like most of my hand guns in the forest. My Alloy frame Dan wesson .45 is easy to cary, My 100 Ruger is still pretty light and packs a wallop. my38 Super With 124 grain FMJs would punch trough to the vitals of anything in Oregon,
I have 4 9mms but for hiking my 2.0 Compact with 15 in the Gun and 2 spare 17 round mags is a ton of firepower, and not verry heavy. But i don't shoot it to well. But for camping without long walks Give me my Model 29-2 4 inch ! 2 speed loaders, 250 grain Gas check Keith style. Even in Griz country ! ...

Have usually hiked with 6 shot 357 6 or 8" barrel while hiking in wilderness areas with my two dogs, Airedale and Standard Schnauzer, both dogs armed with bear bells; but recent news of people encounters with packs of wolves; I am rethinking of switching to high capacity 9mm or 40 caliber semi-auto with 4-5 inch barrels. What do you think or have recommendations?
I think I would stay with a 357. wolves aren't too likely to attack you but in that kind of area a bear attack would be a concern. Wolves might go after your dog though.

I have a silly question for the OP, just how many wolves or cougars have been spotted where you are and how many attacks? Unless they have learned to disrespect humans they usually avoid us 2 legged animals. Once they lose that respect of course we become a menu item. Which is why almost deaf old man that I am I avoid walking in deep woods anymore. They are more stealthy and quiet than I'll ever be.
I would want something close to hand that was quick to bear on a fast moving target. That would eliminate most long guns unless you are really quick. I doubt many are that quick. Which leaves you with a hand gun which you can get to quick and hit what you are aiming at quickly. So if what I said makes any sense, I would leave my rifle and shot gun at home unless that was the only thing I had. Carry what you are good with because hitting what you are aiming at is what is the most important.
If you can't hit what you are aiming at, what good is a hand cannon? I pack my 38 or 9mm all the time, if I get in a scrape I'll just have to try to place my shots!
Gabby

One guy I talked with walked down to swap out his target, while down range all by himself a guy came out of the woods to.his table grabbed one of his gund and robbed him of everything. All of his guns, his truck and all of his cloths.
That is why i always have a loaded side arm on my belt or chest and who ever I go shooting with needs to have one as well.

Another guy I talked with does alotof hiking in the North Cascades. He was alwsys a anti gun person until his little ordeal. Some times hecwould do a day hike, sometimes an over night or two. He would drive way back.in the forest service roads and then venture out from there. On one of his hikes he went back in on an over grown logging road that lead back to a lake. About a 1/2 mile in there was a sharp turn in the overgrown logging road and two guys were doing a meth cooking operation. They confronted him with two shotguns. Since then he carries a gun everyday/allday and he became efficaint with it.

One place we go shooting is six miles off the main road. I was shooting with.my doctor and an old guy stopped. It was on a monday. This old guy stopped to shoot the breeze and said one of his friends was taking his dog for a walk last friday along the river at the bottom of the mountain and got back in his car after his walk and a big black guy came out of the woods from across the road with a stick about the size of a baseball bat.
He locked his car door and the guy tried to smash the wimdow. A pickup truck came up the road and the guy dropped the stick and took off back in the woods across the street. Tje old guy said after that incident they will be carrying a gun from then on.

A friend of mine went to go shooting a few years ago. He wenr just before noon to the gravel pit up in lyman. When he got there it was already occupied so he went to another spot on a dead end log road. There was about two inches of fresh snowon the road and no tracks going in.
When he got to the cul de sack there was a beat up old car with a broken out back window that was covered up eith a piece of plastic and the car was covered with snow so it had to of been there since it snowed out .
He came0 to a stop and all of a sudden there was a guy at his drivers side door with a shotgun pointed at him asking him what the EF are you doing here. My friend said that was the most scared he has ever been. He had a loaded 357 revolver sitting on the passenger side of his pickup. If he would of made one move to grab it he would of got shot. The guy had the jump on him, there was nothing he could do. The guy let him go. He went to where he got cell service and called 911. It took about an hour & a half for two sheriff deputies to show up. He yold them what took place.they went back there and the car was gone. They followed the trackes into the woods and found his tent and his meth cooking operation.

It happens and when it does you can be done in the matter of seconds. Even miles back in the mountains you still have to be alert to your surroundings.

Like General Mattis said.
BE KIND, BE POLITE, BUT HAVE A PLAN TO KILL EVERYBODY YOU MEET.

My grown Son and I were shooting at one of our favorite places at the end of a logging road and a pickup with several people pulled in behind us.Most just turn around and leave when they find someone there before them.This bunch sipping on beers wanted to stay and watch us shoot. I told them it made me nervous to have people at my back when shooting, and asked them to leave. They did and even apologized for intruding. But you never know. We both always have a gun on hip when shooting and never walk to targets unarmed.I remember back in the 80's or early 90's an elderly man was killed while target shooting near Portland. Three teens asked to watch and one of them shot him as his back was to them.One of the teens confessed his friend shot the man.
The motive was.....He wanted to see how it would feel to kill someone. Scary! Remember the Boy Scouts Motto "Be prepared"

Billygabby, what are the odds of needing your pistol in the city pretty unlikely, but i carry one anyway !

So do I, I feel it may be needed MORE in town where the 2 legged animals roam, my point though to my question, is just how great is the expected danger of a wolf or cougar attack where the OP lives and roams the woods. If the chances are high that might give a clue to what sort of firepower would be needed. That being said though, canines and felines have thinner skins and lighter bones compared to say, a bear. And a pistol or revolver suitable for taking down a human, would work well on either species. I recall that many cougars were killed by professional hunters with just a 22LR and I've had to kill coyotes and dogs and used a 22 as well. I think for a big timber wolf though I might want something a little bigger say my 9mm. LOL
Gabby

So do I, I feel it may be needed MORE in town where the 2 legged animals roam, my point though to my question, is just how great is the expected danger of a wolf or cougar attack where the OP lives and roams the woods. If the chances are high that might give a clue to what sort of firepower would be needed. That being said though, canines and felines have thinner skins and lighter bones compared to say, a bear. And a pistol or revolver suitable for taking down a human, would work well on either species. I recall that many cougars were killed by professional hunters with just a 22LR and I've had to kill coyotes and dogs and used a 22 as well. I think for a big timber wolf though I might want something a little bigger say my 9mm. LOL
Gabby
Where there are cougars there are likely to also be bears. I think that 2-legged predators are more likely to be a problem even in the woods than 4-legged ones, and that if you are loaded with JHP bullets optimized for self-defense against people, you're also well loaded for self-defense against cougars, dogs, or wolves. But you aren't loaded for bear. The non-expanding bullets optimal for bear aren't quite as optimal for self-defense against humans. So you have to make a choice.

I used to carry JHPs optimized for self defense against humans in the woods. Then came the day I surprised a black bear from 22 feet. And we stared at each other in complete silence for the longest 30 seconds in my life, me pointing my 6 inch Ruger Security Six .357 mag at the bear, intensely aware every one of those seconds that the JHP bullets I was carrying might not penetrate the bear's skull. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, the bear took off. From then on I carried bear loads in the woods. I'm a lot more confident about being able to stop an attacking human with a bear load than being able to stop a bear with a JHP. But it's personal choice.

People who hunted cougars or bears with 22s usually treed them with dogs and were shooting a trapped animal that wasn't moving, and from a position not in harm's way. They shot them in the head. Trappers also often killed trapped animals including cougars and bears with 22s. This has nothing to do with what you need for self defense if attacked by a cougar or bear. For killing an attacking predator, you need instant incapacitation, or you can get mauled or killed while it is bleeding out. For shooting a trapped animal or in a hunting context, you don't need instant incapacitation.

Last Edited:
Have usually hiked with 6 shot 357 6 or 8" barrel while hiking in wilderness areas with my two dogs, Airedale and Standard Schnauzer, both dogs armed with bear bells; but recent news of people encounters with packs of wolves; I am rethinking of switching to high capacity 9mm or 40 caliber semi-auto with 4-5 inch barrels. What do you think or have recommendations?

Someone slower than you.
or
Westinghouse M-27 Phased Plasma Pulse Rifle, bullpup design, might be to heavy though.

I carry my 9mm with 2 extra mags and my K -bar.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top