JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wanted Ad Type
  1. Want to Buy
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
City
Portland METRO
State
Oregon
Hey Shooters,

I'm looking for a good quality long gun safe, but I need a SMALL & NARROW one for discreet install into a modest sized closet.

MAX EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS:
22.5" Wide
12" Deep
61" Tall
Additionally, I want something that takes a KEY, either as the primary locking mechanism, or as a backup for a dial, keypad, or thumbscanner.

I'm looking for an actual safe, ideally a couple steps above a thin sheetmetal "locker" box. So, please no cheap sheetmetal lockers. Fire-safe, waterproof, etc would be nice but not necessary.

Used, and OLD/vintage is great -- much preferred over modern Chinese made stuff.

So if you have upgraded to something bigger, let me take your old small safe off your hands. I have cash in hand to pay a fair price, and could potentially sweeten the deal by giving you a box or two 9mm or some .45 ACP or something.

Thanks!

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Doesn't fit the old/vintage bill, but my local Bimart (Scappoose) usually has a couple models that may fit the bill. May be worth checking yours.
Bi-Mart, eh? I'll check it out. My problem is that I haven't found many actual safes in the size I have been looking for that are available to inspect in person prior to purchase, and I'm a bit suspicious of dropping substantial coin on something that might turn out to be a cheap POS when it arrives.

I think it's the 12" deep that's going to be a problem. I have a safe that sits behind one of the sliding doors on a standard double sliding door closet but depth is 17.5" plus 3" for the handle. It's been a great safe and has this as key option:
  • SecuRAM™ Lock: UL-listed digital lock with EMP-proof mechanical key backup
Check out Snapsafe website for their Titan model. If you're interested I can send you some photos with it in my closet when I get home this weekend. It's a great idea if you've ever had to help move a gun safe, it assembles (and can be disassembled) but has better ratings (fire and wall gauge) than most safes plus the heaviest part is the door at about 90 lbs so it can be moved fairly easily to an upstairs area.
PM me if you'd like some photos.

Hey Shooters,

I'm looking for a good quality long gun safe, but I need a SMALL & NARROW one for discreet install into a modest sized closet.

MAX EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS:
22.5" Wide
12" Deep
61" Tall
Additionally, I want something that takes a KEY, either as the primary locking mechanism, or as a backup for a dial, keypad, or thumbscanner.

I'm looking for an actual safe, ideally a couple steps above a thin sheetmetal "locker" box. So, please no cheap sheetmetal lockers. Fire-safe, waterproof, etc would be nice but not necessary.

Used, and OLD/vintage is great -- much preferred over modern Chinese made stuff.

So if you have upgraded to something bigger, let me take your old small safe off your hands. I have cash in hand to pay a fair price, and could potentially sweeten the deal by giving you a box or two 9mm or some .45 ACP or something.

Thanks!
Check the safes at Tractor Supply Store nearest you

I think it's the 12" deep that's going to be a problem. I have a safe that sits behind one of the sliding doors on a standard double sliding door closet but depth is 17.5" plus 3" for the handle. It's been a great safe and has this as key option:
  • SecuRAM™ Lock: UL-listed digital lock with EMP-proof mechanical key backup
Check out Snapsafe website for their Titan model. If you're interested I can send you some photos with it in my closet when I get home this weekend. It's a great idea if you've ever had to help move a gun safe, it assembles (and can be disassembled) but has better ratings (fire and wall gauge) than most safes plus the heaviest part is the door at about 90 lbs so it can be moved fairly easily to an upstairs area.
PM me if you'd like some photos.
Thanks for the tip I looked at their website and I like the safes, but as you predicted they don't have anything with the depth I'm looking for :(

Check this link: https://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Quick...677712501f80b745bd5654a63050a9&language=en_US

You should find others too. Not saying they're good or anything but looks like it might fit your requirements.
I have seen that one, and I actually PMed someone hereabouts who has a listing for one 'cause I'd like to see it in person. . . But the real issue I have with it is that I'd like something very similar but 2x as wide. . . according to the reviews it is effectively a 1-1.5 gun safe.

I have seen that one, and I actually PMed someone hereabouts who has a listing for one 'cause I'd like to see it in person. . . But the real issue I have with it is that I'd like something very similar but 2x as wide. . . according to the reviews it is effectively a 1-1.5 gun safe.
At link there were other recommendations and I think some were larger. Look down the page some to see the "you might also like" section. Is there a reason your resistant to a good quality gun locker instead of a safe?

At link there were other recommendations and I think some were larger. Look down the page some to see the "you might also like" section. Is there a reason your resistant to a good quality gun locker instead of a safe?
When I looked through the offerings, the larger sizes got quite a bit deeper. . . but I might not have seen all of them. . . Amazon does try so very hard to show me what it thinks I should see and not what I'm trying to find.

Re lockers, I have had a couple and I suppose they are ok. Never found one I would consider to be good quality though. I particularly want to avoid exposed piano hinges and mailbox -style tab-locks, which seems to be most of them

When I looked through the offerings, the larger sizes got quite a bit deeper. . . but I might not have seen all of them. . . Amazon does try so very hard to show me what it thinks I should see and not what I'm trying to find.

Re lockers, I have had a couple and I suppose they are ok. Never found one I would consider to be good quality though. I particularly want to avoid exposed piano hinges and mailbox -style tab-locks, which seems to be most of them
My boss has one that is good quality. See if anything here meets your needs: https://homak.com/product/homak-8-gun-steel-security-cabinet/

The Homaks I have seen have both exposed piano hinges and mailbox tab locks. Maybe they have fancier offerings, but all I have seen are that type of construction -- it is too bad because I see Homaks on CL regularly for under $100

The Homaks I have seen have both exposed piano hinges and mailbox tab locks. Maybe they have fancier offerings, but all I have seen are that type of construction -- it is too bad because I see Homaks on CL regularly for under $100
The link I posted opens to unit that it doesn't look like exposed hinges and inside view that shows dual locks that are fancier looking than mailbox locks.

The link I posted opens to unit that it doesn't look like exposed hinges and inside view that shows dual locks that are fancier looking than mailbox locks.
descriptive txt from the page you linked to: "Full Length Piano Hinges Secures Door to Cabinet" that said, the pics are too small to tell much re hinges. the Homaks I have seen in person have the piano hinges on the outside, and given how that kind of hinge works, I'm not sure how you could mount it on the inside. . . it could also be that the descriptive text on their website is wrong and they changed the design.

those "rotating lock plates" are just inserting thin steel tabs into a slot. it is a little better than just a mailbox lock, but not much. I'm looking for the kind of heavy rod mechanism you see in an actual safe.

Do I appreciate your attempts to help me find something

descriptive txt from the page you linked to: "Full Length Piano Hinges Secures Door to Cabinet" that said, the pics are too small to tell much re hinges. the Homaks I have seen in person have the piano hinges on the outside, and given how that kind of hinge works, I'm not sure how you could mount it on the inside. . . it could also be that the descriptive text on their website is wrong and they changed the design.

those "rotating lock plates" are just inserting thin steel tabs into a slot. it is a little better than just a mailbox lock, but not much. I'm looking for the kind of heavy rod mechanism you see in an actual safe.

Do I appreciate your attempts to help me find something
Sure thing (it didn't require much), gun cabinets are definitely not as good as a safe but with your depth constraints I wish you good luck in finding a proper safe that will hold much. I'm not a big fan of the gun cabinets myself but probably the best way to actually get something that will fit AND hold a few things.

UPDATE: I ended up buying a locker style cabinet today that fits perfectly -- found something with a recessed door, no piano hinge, a decent locking mechanism, and nearly100% USA made and assembled-- nothing imported except for the lock tumbler mechanism, which is actually pretty decent, and a few steps above a mailbox rotating tab lock. That last bit might seem silly in 2021, but it means something to me, especially if I'm buying something new/retail.

It is a temporary solution until I find the perfect actual safe, and then the locker will get to live in my cabin the the mountains :)

So, I am STILL LOOKING FOR A GOOD QUALITY SAFE as described in the initial post.

Thanks!

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.