JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use to fish out of Newport and wede' loose quit a few salmon to lions. At least the head was still good crab bait. I was on the boat havin coffee on morning and there was a big one sittin on the next dock over. He had a big silver flasher hangin out of his mouth. Some guy came walkin down the dock with a pair of plyers in his hand and I thought, " this will be entertaining" The guy got about 6 ' from the thing and it turned and lunged at him. He was back up the dock full trot. Lucky too.

Sooo, as a pinniped is very closely related to mans best friend, old Rover, they are also susceptible to many of the same types of diseases as canines.

Diseases such as Parvovirus and distemper. This was related to me by a friend who is a marine biologist....

Being that they transfer these diseases throughout a colony fairly quickly, the method of transmission is their gregariousness.

Now, not that I am suggesting anyone do this,,, this is how a mode of infection was related to me...
first, a donor with parvovirus or distemper has a saliva culture taken.
That culture is then placed into a shallow vessel and 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 ounce of water are added and mixed, then placed under a 40 Watt bulb to allow it to reach no higher temp. Than 100 degrees for 72 hours.

Then several .17 caliber pellets are added to this witches brew.

Not that I'm condoning this, but as I was told, surgical gloves are mandatory during this whole process, and again,, not that I would ever suggest such action, it doesn't take many to spread like wild fire throughout a colony, in fact not too many years back there was a massive die off on the east coast due to distemper.

It's problem alright, so are the gill nets.
Gill nets aren't a problem, they fish terminal fisheries that most fish swim up to the hatcheries and die before spawning anyways because of over-crowding. Why not let people make a living off controllable fishing? Anybody who throws sea-lions and gill-netting in the same boat needs to go fly a kite. Love when people talk with their foot in their mouths.

Gill nets aren't a problem, they fish terminal fisheries that most fish swim up to the hatcheries and die before spawning anyways because of over-crowding. Why not let people make a living off controllable fishing? Anybody who throws sea-lions and gill-netting in the same boat needs to go fly a kite. Love when people talk with their foot in their mouths.

So you are a gill netter huh.............
I spent 4 days and nights a week for 8 months out of the year, on the Columbia for years. I see and know the damage the gill netters do. Also the number of dead fish that they discard or kill that is not part of what they are supposed to be catching.
Also on the days they set and drift those nets there are n0 salmon to be caught for a week afterward. They need to be restricted to seine nets from shore of eliminated altogether.

Last Edited:
So you are a gill netter huh.............
Nope, just live in a community full of them. I sport fish along side them because there's enough fish for the both of us. As for the natives they've been doing the same thing for years, lots and lots of years, and there's still runs of fish. Might not agree with everything but once again, sea-lions are more of an issue than a fishery that can be shut down at anytime.

Nope, just live in a community full of them. I sport fish along side them because there's enough fish for the both of us. As for the natives they've been doing the same thing for years, lots and lots of years, and there's still runs of fish. Might not agree with everything but once again, sea-lions are more of an issue than a fishery that can be shut down at anytime.

The Natives didn't gill net they dip netted and seine netted till the white man started it.
They sure as hell didn't string a thousand drifting nets across the river nearly shore to shore as they do now.

Your perception on that is all wrong and frankly just dumb, fish don't take a week to build back up, I've fished right after openers and caught fish like the nets weren't even there. Obviously if gill-netting was so detrimental it would be band by now, and the by-catch of sturgeon is also completely removed as the retention of white sturgeon is now illegal. Live in a place that actually gill-nets and see what really happens buddy, you must have voted for Kitzhaber huh?

Your perception on that is all wrong and frankly just dumb, fish don't take a week to build back up, I've fished right after openers and caught fish like the nets weren't even there. Obviously if gill-netting was so detrimental it would be band by now, and the by-catch of sturgeon is also completely removed as the retention of white sturgeon is now illegal. Live in a place that actually gill-nets and see what really happens buddy, you must have voted for Kitzhaber huh?

They kill sturgeon and throw them back in the water so they don't get caught. I watched them do it over and over again. The sportfish lobby has no where near the payoff money of the commercial fish lobby and that is exactly why it has not yet been banned but it will be.
And (puke) I don't vote for rotting liberals EVER.
You have been brainwashed by your community of gill netters.
We WILL get it banned, if not this year the next or thereafter but it will get done.

If you've never caught a sturgeon before they're one of the most hardy fish there is, live out of water for hours.

That's why there are dozens of floaters the day after the nets are out. Yeah UH HUH.
I have lived on the rivers literally since 54. I know exactly what damage the netters do.
There are other ways to commercial fish beyond choking off a river and strip mining it.

My commercial fishing was out of Pacific city in a dory Taku, for what it's worth. Spent half a dozen years out of Bristol bay AK though and can say that not much that goes into a gillnet alive comes out otherwise.
Yep I probably know you.
My grandparents owned Red Raines Resort in woods and mom & dad lived on the hill above the airport.
Spent many a year in PC.
The fishers lake had some big trout in it <chuckle>
Those were good days. Now they pretty much screwed up the cape with commercial crap and built where no one was ever supposed to.

I do miss those big fish frys at the end of the airport in town and the dancehall :) at the turnaround.
Yeah yeah I dated myself LOL

Yep I probably know you.
My grandparents owned Red Raines Resort in woods and mom & dad lived on the hill above the airport.
Spent many a year in PC.
The fishers lake had some big trout in it <chuckle>
Those were good days. Now they pretty much screwed up the cape with commercial crap and built where no one was ever supposed to.

I do miss those big fish frys at the end of the airport in town and the dancehall :) at the turnaround.
Yeah yeah I dated myself LOL

It was! The turnaround was fun!

Boyd (owned the sunset),
served my wife and I honeymoon dinner,
Bless his hard old heart he wouldn't let me pay for dinner.
10 years later on that date, when we walked in he hollered "the honeymooners" and once again wouldn't let us pay for dinner.

Man was he pi$$ed when he found the cash under the plate.

I fished with Leonard Hammer, perhaps one of the best skippers in a long time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top