JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
IMG_20170705_212024435.jpg

Apparently this die needs some polishing, as I've cleaned it several times, but still get this result.

Question is, are the scratched cases still safe to use?

I've heard that you could send them back to the manufacturer to get them polished out. Course, you should contact their customer service first.

Anyway, I've never done it.

I instead just chose to purchase another F/L sizer. I figured it was better than, dealing with the hassle of mailing stuff back and waiting.

Aloha, Mark

What Lightborne said, but call them first and they will give you instructions on how to return them. I've returned dies, bullet molds, and a scale, some after many years use, and they have always replaced or repaired them at no cost.

To be fair, I did get these second hand. They're far from brand new dies.
Then my guess is the guy before you used some dirty contaminated brass and scratched up the die.

I'd be having a "talk" with whoever sold or gave you those dies.

I have a feeling RCBS will still take care of you. Whether or not the dies are salvageable, or whether there will be a nominal fee for polishing them might be another story. I'd still get on the horn with them. They're pretty good about customer service.

Seems like I have this fixed. Took a .30 cal brush and stuck it in a cordless drill. Wrapped a few cleaning patches around the brush and put some Flitz polish on it, then let it run in the die for a few minutes. Cases are coming out nice and scratch-free now.

Seems like I have this fixed. Took a .30 cal brush and stuck it in a cordless drill. Wrapped a few cleaning patches around the brush and put some Flitz polish on it, then let it run in the die for a few minutes. Cases are coming out nice and scratch-free now.

Or....

You can fix it yourself like that and save the hassle...

Most likely someone using the dies before you didn't believe in cleaning the cases before sizing and got some nice range debris stuffed inside the die. Good job with the cleaning patch and Flitz, that should work. I have heard of people using emery cloth in these situations, but you can change those really close tolerances really quickly that way.

I personally have never had this problem, but I bought a bag of used brass from a guy a few years back. Suddenly I started noticing those same scratches in the brass.... turned out in my case, he had buried some damaged brass in the bottom of the bag and I judged the scratches to not be bad enough to scrap the cases usually. Initially I thought it was from my sizing die, but then I saw the scratches in cases I hadn't processed yet. There were a few that I never fired as I felt they were just too deep. At any rate, they worked, but it definitely limited the life of the case.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews