JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I still don't have a scope for my AR-50

I keep thinking about getting one, but the nice ones are at least $1K per, and the really nice ones are $2K to $3K+

I was just wondering - I see cheap scopes to moderately priced long distance scopes from time to time. I know the good ones, like Burris and Leupold and NightForce/et al. will handle the .50 BMG recoil and are good glass, but what about the ones that cost less than $1K?

Just saw a Weaver 6-24x for under $250. Vortex 6-24x LR scope is around $1K, Burris LR scopes are between $1K and $1500 MSRP.

Is it a waste of money to get something like a Weaver - will it eventually fall apart on a .50 BMG?

Is going over 20X a waste of time or can one really use 40X scopes?

TIA

I put about 200 rounds through one of my .50's with a old Tasco World Class on it. Never had a lick of trouble.

.50 recoil is not that bad really. It's more of a thud than a crack. I suspect a light weight 22-250 is far harder on optics.

Of course that is assuming a 20-30 pound rifle. I'm sure you could build a brutal.50. Mine was 60" long and weighed 33 pounds so maybe my experience was an outlier

I use a Leupold Mark 4. But Barrett's also come with Bushnell's.
However the Bushnell's are fixed power. Adjustable and inexpensive scopes probably have too weak internals?

As to recoil?
My barrel is a 29'' fluted. And I think the rifle is about 21lbs.
The muzzle break dose a great job when the gas hits it. But for 29'' your on your own! o_O

Maybe not enough distance traveled in those milliseconds, to register much on your shoulder.
But more than enough to register on the internals of your scope.

To me it feels like a super sharp attack on the shoulder for a split second. That just somehow suddenly goes away.

I also have an AR-50A1. With the rifle, bipod, monopod, and scope its pushing 40 pounds.
Between that weight and the massive muzzle brake the recoil is not all that bad.
My 30-06 is worse.

With that said, I have a Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 scope on mine.

Vortex also has a no questions asked replacement warranty.

Yeah, plenty of high end scopes out there for thousands, try to find one that will be decent quality and reliability on a .50 BMG for under a thousand is a little bit harder.

But sometimes a good deal presents itself just when you need it - or when you are patient enough to wait for it.

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, I would hold off till the fourth. Its kind of our black Friday. If you do end up with a Leupold, good work. Their manufacturing is done out of Beaverton so you would certainly be supporting the locals.

Last Edited:
If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, I would hold off till the fourth. Its kind of our black Friday. If you do end up with a Leupold, good work. Their manufacturing is done out of Beaverton so you would certainly be supporting the locals.

Yup - my SIL used to work there. They had a sale of blems one day and I had him get me some, but they did not have a LR scope (I had him check).

I just wish - and I keep saying this - that Leupold or Burris would make a 1-4x or 1-6x or 1.5-6x LER/pistol/scout scope. A number of manufacturers make 2x+ variables, but I want one that starts at 1 to 1.5x

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top