JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the slow process of building a Bear and possibly Elk rifle Its a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter (accutrigger DBM) I will be putting a 22" long E.H. Shaw barrel chambered for .35 Whelen in a heavy magnum profile .700" muzzle. It will go into a Boyds Walnut checkered stock.

I'm wondering if there would be a better choice for the scope then the Leopold VariX II 3-9X 40mm I have

for instance would there be an advantage to a 2-7X

Black bear and Elk would be its intended use.

Thoughts

The scope you have should work well for you. Another option is a fixed power, say 6x. For hunting, your current setup will be good to go.

I am in the slow process of building a Bear and possibly Elk rifle Its a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter (accutrigger DBM) I will be putting a 22" long E.H. Shaw barrel chambered for .35 Whelen in a heavy magnum profile .700" muzzle. It will go into a Boyds Walnut checkered stock.

I'm wondering if there would be a better choice for the scope then the Leopold VariX II 3-9X 40mm I have

Black bear and Elk would be its intended use.

Thoughts

At the top end not much difference between 7x and 9x, but a big difference in field of view between 2x and 3x (about twice the area) If you are hunting in a wooded area that would be a big advantage.

A 2x7 scope is also smaller and lighter also an advantage in a wooded environment.

At the top end not much difference between 7x and 9x, but a big difference in field of view between 2x and 3x (about twice the area) If you are hunting in a wooded area that would be a big advantage.

A 2x7 scope is also smaller and lighter also an advantage in a wooded environment.

Excellent points!

Mine has a 1.5 x 5 Burris on it. It's still a heavy rifle.

UCRyiJr9R6W6EGXY2tBM0A - Copy.jpg

No advantage. That Leopold has a 34.6 foot FOV at 3x you will be very 'hard pressed' to beat that for close in brush hunting and hard to beat the quality of Leopold for the money. FWIW I have the VXR version of that same scope and love it.

I am putting a 2-7 leupold on my whelen - i dont consider the whelen a target rifle. I like the lower power in the brush and its enough power to hit an elk to 300-350 yards.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top