JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am in the slow process of building a Bear and possibly Elk rifle Its a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter (accutrigger DBM) I will be putting a 22" long E.H. Shaw barrel chambered for .35 Whelen in a heavy magnum profile .700" muzzle. It will go into a Boyds Walnut checkered stock.

I'm wondering if there would be a better choice for the scope then the Leopold VariX II 3-9X 40mm I have

for instance would there be an advantage to a 2-7X

Black bear and Elk would be its intended use.

Thoughts

The scope you have should work well for you. Another option is a fixed power, say 6x. For hunting, your current setup will be good to go.

I am in the slow process of building a Bear and possibly Elk rifle Its a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter (accutrigger DBM) I will be putting a 22" long E.H. Shaw barrel chambered for .35 Whelen in a heavy magnum profile .700" muzzle. It will go into a Boyds Walnut checkered stock.

I'm wondering if there would be a better choice for the scope then the Leopold VariX II 3-9X 40mm I have

Black bear and Elk would be its intended use.

Thoughts

At the top end not much difference between 7x and 9x, but a big difference in field of view between 2x and 3x (about twice the area) If you are hunting in a wooded area that would be a big advantage.

A 2x7 scope is also smaller and lighter also an advantage in a wooded environment.

At the top end not much difference between 7x and 9x, but a big difference in field of view between 2x and 3x (about twice the area) If you are hunting in a wooded area that would be a big advantage.

A 2x7 scope is also smaller and lighter also an advantage in a wooded environment.

Excellent points!

Mine has a 1.5 x 5 Burris on it. It's still a heavy rifle.

UCRyiJr9R6W6EGXY2tBM0A - Copy.jpg

No advantage. That Leopold has a 34.6 foot FOV at 3x you will be very 'hard pressed' to beat that for close in brush hunting and hard to beat the quality of Leopold for the money. FWIW I have the VXR version of that same scope and love it.

I am putting a 2-7 leupold on my whelen - i dont consider the whelen a target rifle. I like the lower power in the brush and its enough power to hit an elk to 300-350 yards.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top