Sporting Systems
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Low Price Guns
Southwest Firearms Forum
Oregon Rifleworks
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Gun Deals
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Scope rings

Reactions
I've never actually purchased a scope and rings before (silly me). I only really have experience with 1 piece mounts on ar style rifles.

Anyways, I have a tikka t3 ctr stainless that I'm looking at mounting a leupold VX-f 3-9 on with a 40 mm objective.

From what I'm seeing, low rings SHOULD be fine. But I was wondering....
Because the stock has a small built in cheek riser/comb to it, would it benefit me to go with a little taller scope ring? Or just stick with as low of ring as possible?

KKG

Reactions
Personally, I like to keep a Scope as low as possible on my Rifles. I also like the Leupold QR Rings because I also make sure the Rifle has been Zeroed in with the Iron Sights of it has any. The QR Rings also make exchanging Scopes if the first one becomes damaged.

OP
H
Reactions
Ok. Thats helpful. I'll plan on saving the couple bones and go for non qr as I have to irons. I have very little experience with bolt guns as this is my first.

osprey

Reactions
Keep the scope as low to the bore axis as possible. My go to rings are one piece Talley light weights. Spend the time to lap and align them and you will have years of great service with them.

bsa1917hunter

Reactions
Keep the scope as low to the bore axis as possible. My go to rings are one piece Talley light weights. Spend the time to lap and align them and you will have years of great service with them.
Talley lightweights wont work on his CTR. it comes with a factory m1913 rail.

bsa1917hunter

Reactions
Op, you can use something like the Burris XTR rings. For the scope you mentioned, id run the extra lows.

MechaNik

Reactions
It's always amazes me that kit guns tend to come with Scopes mounted 3/8-1/2" above the barrel. I've never seen anyone with cheeks that low. Typically, I believe they come with "medium" rings and I often end up mounting "low" rings with results of less than 1/4" clearance which is much, much better. Granted, I shoot Savage and Remington so your Finnish model could be different....

turq

Reactions
Yesterday I read some instructions that suggested to put your scope on a stack of pennies on the rail to see how high your scope objective will sit above the barrel.
You might tape them and the scope in place to see thru the scope for “fit” then check specs for which height rings correspond to the height of that stack and buy that ring set.

LATEST REVIEWS

• Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I had a second gunsmithing job completed by Mr. Copeland. As with the first, he did amazingly good work, communication was solid, and the rates...
    • CountryGent
    5.00 star(s)
    I brought Tim a henry goldenboy youth and a vision of what I wanted. Tim made it come true at a very reasonable price, while others quoted me way...
    • Iceman04503
    5.00 star(s)
    Tim, has done several projects including a sweet 1911 .38 super project
    • Qochoc
  • Mary's Pistols
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic small business with equally excellent folks running the place. I was given fair value for a trade in and was able to order something I...
    • Red98422
  • Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    Very popular service road with some unmarked logging roads that branch off of the main. Relatively cleaned up from what we saw. I just wish that...
    • Benzdriver81

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online