1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Scope mounting question

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Atroxus, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Atroxus

Atroxus Marysville, WA Member

I recently mounted a Bushnell .22 rimfire scope on my Marlin model 60. I *thought* I had tightened the screws down pretty tight. When I sighted in last week at 50 yards my best 5 shot group was barely over an inch across. Today I took it to another range and was shooting at a distance of only 25 yards, and my shots were all over the place. By the end of the 200 round session all were hitting far right and low of point of aim. When I got home I realized that somewhere along the line the scope had slipped back far enough that the rear mount was completely OFF the end of the mounting rail. Anyone have any idea how to keep this from happening again?

The picture below shows the screws on the scope. I am wondering if I need a special screwdriver or driver bit for a drill to get these tightened enough? The widest screw driver bit I own still only made partial contact due to the big hole in the center of the head slot, so I tightened it as tight as I could without risking stripping the screw heads. Apparently it was not tight enough. :(
  2. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

3. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Buy some gunsmithing bits from Brownells or Midway, then you'll have them.
  4. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I always use a touch of blue loctite, but then what do I know? :thumbup:
  5. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

+1 on the blue Loctite. I've had a couple of mounts, including the rimfire ones, that wouldn't stay tight without it.