JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Approximately a year ago, I purchased a Trijicon VCOG to mount a top a BCM AR-15. While it has been on the AR since it arrived, we haven't had the chance to take it out (Thank you COVID). The other day I found my son turning the adjusters. Now, from what I understand, when a scope comes from the factory, the factory settings should usually only need minor adjustments when sighting in. Herein lies the problem. I consider myself very new to guns. I have never sighted in a firearm before, let alone an optic. If I recall, the VCOG calls for it to be sighted in at 100 yards. Is there anything that can be done to get the settings back to 'zero'? Is it necessary? Are there any locations to allow sighting in at such distances? Does it really need to be sighted in at such a distance?

I have been using this site intermittently over the years. I would like to become a supporter. How does one accomplish this?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and patience.

Jace

separate your upper and lower and remove the BCG. Use a gun rest or vice, etc. to hold your upper on a table. Look down through the barrel and move the upper until you can see something definitive throw the barrel. Something like the neighbors mail box, a house light, etc. Holding the upper steady turn your elevation and windage knobs until your ACOG is sighted on the same object you see through the barrel. This is called bore sighting. You are looking down the bore at an object and adjusting your sight with that object. Once done you're ready to go to the range and sight it in. At 50 yards you should at least be on the paper target and you can then adjust your sight accordingly.

The only reasons that would require a 100 yard zero is if the optic has a BDC (bullet drop compensator) reticle setup for a specific load, otherwise do what you want. Many people prefer a 50 yard zero as it is also basically a +/-225 yard zero. There are target setup for 25 yards that simulate 50 and 100 zeros that might help you out, I'll post a link. Here is video of how to zero a scope.

Here's that target link
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthrea...ine-Zero-Targets-50-200M-100M-amp-300M-Zeroes

Welcome Jace.

There are two ways to factory zero a scope.

1 is to turn the turret all the way to one side, then count how many clicks to the completely other side. Divide by 2 and click back that number.

The second involves a mirror. In a well lit bathroom place the scope against the mirror. If the reticle is off, you will see a shadow of the reticle. Adjust it till you don't see the shadow.

Zeroing distance is preference. If you want to zero at 15 yards, ok. 200, ok. Subjective really. Zero where you feel you would best need it zeroed. Or get the best result.

Some time ago I had a Leupold (not sure about the spelling) scope with the same type of problem. They told me the optic should centered before installation using a mirror and the method Reno mentioned above. Hope that helps some.

Most scope adjustments in the field start at 25 yards since the bullet is in an arching trajectory and at 25 yds it's at the same trajectory plane as 100 yds when it drops down.
Once you dial it in at that 25 yd distance, you then move the target out to 100 yds for fine tuning.
That is a way to save ammo. and speed things up.
The mirror trick works best if someone holds a strong flashlight above the scope when it's pressed tight against the bathroom mirror.
I wouldn't recommend turning the adjustment dials all the way to one side as some scopes don't like having their internals components torqued that much to one side.

The other day I found my son turning the adjusters.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and patience.
Jace
How old is this boy and have you or have you not had training sessions with him? If he is younger how did he gain access to the rifle? If he's older how long did it take for him to pick his butt up off the floor after you noticed what he was doing?

If this is a range toy for plinking sighting in at 100 yards will work for most ranges since they usually have target set ups at 25, 50, 100 , 200 and some beyond.

If this is a .223 then sighting in at 25 yards works for a lot of people since a 25 yard zero prints a little over an inch high at 100 and close to zero at 200. Barrel length and ammo will dictate fine tuning once you get things figured out.

Google: How to Adjust Mechanical Zero On Rifle Optics (Sorry don't know why this is in bold and color!)

Chances are you'll be "on paper" at 25 yards if you follow basic mechanical zero methods as above.

Smiles,

You can do the bore sight or get a lazer bore sight.
And just move the scope cross hairs to the lazer spot on a wall or tree or mail box across the street that will get you close enough.
To take it to a range and fine tune it.
And I'm wondering like others how your kid got the gun to turn the adjustment nobs

Take to range, separate lower from upper and remove bcg/charge handle. Bag upper so steady and point at downrange target until image of target is centered in bore, adjust optic to match. I use 50 yd target. Shoot and make fine adjustments. Have fun! Once in awhile a mechanically zeroed optic will be on paper but with the cost of ammo and how simple it is to bore sight, it is silly not to do it.

Scopes are generally centered from the factory. Doesn't mean the mounts, rings, and receiver are straight. Its really not a big issue.

As for zero....it really depends on the height of the site over the bore line. The higher, the more extreme angle you get at 25 yards. A 25 yard zero for a scope that is low to the bore is different vs a scope that is mounted high. Your 100 theoretical zero might be more like 300 with the scope mounted high.

Lite it was suggested, remove the upper and sandbag it at the range. Remove the bolt carrier. Adjust the sandbags to fully support the upper. Find an aiming point in the bore (rock, target, whatever) and adjust the scope so the reticle is pointed at the same thing at the same time as the bore.

I start at 100 yards. I don't bother up close. Mainly, it takes way more clicks of adjustment at 25 yards to adjust your point of impact than 100. There is little margin for error up that close.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top