JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey everyone!

I need a little help. I have an FN Patrol Bolt Rifle with a Nikon Buckmaster scope in high quality, quick release rings and I cant zero. I took it out to zero and was about 6 inches over my target at 100 meters with my scope fully adjusted down. I'm very frustrated

Any ideas on what to do? Or a shop that could help?

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I need a little help. I have an FN Patrol Bolt Rifle with a Nikon Buckmaster scope in high quality, quick release rings and I cant zero. I took it out to zero and was about 6 inches over my target at 100 meters with my scope fully adjusted down. I'm very frustrated

Any ideas on what to do? Or a shop that could help?

Thanks!

Take it off and put it back to its mechanical zero. If you don't know what that is and I am not suggesting so but take the windage and elevation and turn them all the way to the end but don't force when you come to the end. Then count the clicks all the way back to the other end and divide by 2 and turn it back that many turns on both. That way the reticule is dead center in the scope.

Then remount and bore sight and hit the range again. I think the Buckmaster series has 40 or 50 MOA availble adjustments so you should not be bottoming out.

If that does not work make sure you are mounting it right as well.

But first set the mechanical zero and that is the best way too start. You have plenty of adjustment available.

That should work.

Hmm. There is no mention of a laser or optical bore sighter or any attempt to zero before heading to the range. I'd do exactly what Scott said, plus, you should try to debug your problem at our garage before you head back to the range. If you do not have a bore sighter, you can still do a rough adjustment, to get on paper, just using your Mark 1 Eyeball. This is how it is done:
1. set up a very bright target at approx 25 yds.
2. set your rifle on a cleaning stand and remove the bolt.
3. while looking down the bore from the bolt side, align the rifle to point at the target you set up at ~25yds. This could be tricky; you might find it easier to move the target to align with the bore, and that's ok.
4. adjust your scopes zero.
Good luck.

They are Thompson quick release rings on a factory installed riser, that does have a built in taper. What really confuses me is when I put in the laser boresighter and have the scope at factory center, it looks right. It sits about two mil-dots high. I then adjust to the boresighter and my shots are not even close.

They are Thompson quick release rings on a factory installed riser, that does have a built in taper. What really confuses me is when I put in the laser boresighter and have the scope at factory center, it looks right. It sits about two mil-dots high. I then adjust to the boresighter and my shots are not even close.

Turning the turret the wrong way? Sorry couldn't resist ;)

Did you try checking zero with your bore sighter AFTER firing the rifle to check it the scope shifted position? Albeit unlikely, your quick release rings may be messing with you.

Also, what's the distance between bore and scope center line (should be between 1.5 to 2.0"), at what distance are you setting the point blank zero (should be between 25 to 40 yds, closer if the scope is higher) and what's the muzzle velocity of your ammo? For example, assuming 1.5" scope height and shooting r 150gr FMJ NATO fodder at ~ 2800 fps, point bank zero is 30yd for a 200yd zero, at just 2" high at 100yd.

But, regardless, your scope's elevation dial should not max out. Did you save the target? If you did, I'd be willing to help you debug this issue if you can come to my house. I am available Friday after 3pm-ish. Also bring your bore sighter.

I had a similar issue with a scope on an sks that I had a Choat scope mount placed on it. I failed to get it completely level with the bore and I did not have the room to complete adjust the elevation. A fellow on another forum recomended Burris Signature Rings. With these rings, you can purchase a spacer set that allows nearly unlimited adjustment for your optics. I cannot speak highly enough about how well these work.

The link above takes you to Burris' site and there is video about how these are used. I strongly reccomend these for your troubles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top