JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So other than that they exist, I know pretty much nothing about magnifiers and how they work with a red dot. Is it basically just a low power, fixed mag scope that sits behind the RDS? And if so, how does it affect the appearance of the dot? I just put together an AR in 6.5 Grendel, it's currently set up as a target rifle with a fairly large scope, but I'm thinking seriously of getting a .223/5.56 upper, and I have a Sig Romeo7 just collecting dust on a shelf. Sounds like it might be a good application for a magnifier. Your thoughts, experience, and suggestions are welcome, later.

Dave

My thoughts...
I like micro RDS's for the light weight, small foot print and fast handling characteristics. By the time you add a mount plus magnifier those features go away, add in the cost and at that point a 1-6x LPVO makes more sense to me. That said I can see getting behind a Unity Tactical Fast mount setup with their 2.26" height and drop down rather than side swivel maginifer mount. I would go with an Eotech G33 3x. IMO the 5 and 6x magnifiers destroy the big eyebox feature of the RDS/Holo. Magnifiers work better with Holo style sight than RDS with regards to the appearance to the dot/reticle.

Magnifiers are a good set up I have them on my 10.5in ARs. They are fun to shoot as it's fairly quick to go from red dot to 3x or 6x. Sig makes some to fit your red dot you already have. Most multiplier have adjustments to center your red dot in the sight picture. I have scoped, lvpo, and red dot multipliers to me each has its reason. Lvpo are probably the best imo as it's only one thing to go wrong and no two. You also can get some lvpos 1-8x or even 10x.

Solid meh. Tried them a couple of times. Write them off as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Better solution would be a low power lightweight scope with a throw lever.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the info. So it sounds like these are an attempt to sidestep an either/or issue, RDS or LPVO, and like most compromises, they end up not doing either all that well. Might look into a prism sight sometime in the future, but for now, I'll stick with either/or ;). Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA