JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello fellow NFA Folks,

Need a little expertise here. I'm looking at buying a Sig MPX or the rifle version and I would like to submit an ATF Form 1 and make it an SBR. I made an SBR last year so I am proficient with the form aspect. My question is this: Is it easier to make a pistol a SBR or a rifle a SBR? Or does it matter? I'm not asking about the physical aspect of changing the barrels, but the legal aspect of getting it through ATF.

Thanks!

Good question.
I don't think the form 1 SBR's intentions would matter, unless you were to sell the firearm later on and revert it back to it's original configuration without the tax stamp.
If it started out as a pistol MPX, then just removing the stock would bring it back to it's original build, but if was sold as a rifle, then reinstalling the rifle length barrel might be problematic.
That's just a guess on my part.

When I was talking to one the counter guys at Curt's, he recommended the pistol model MPX to me, because it would be easy to add a stock to it, as compared to ordering a pistol barrel for it.

I went with pistol to rifle. It took longer to get the stock than to get the stamp

20160106_205527_zpsbdjaq5bo.jpg 20160106_205604_zps7lk2gcjg.jpg

Sweet! I just form 1'd my pistol and that looks really good. I have heard the stock looks awesome, but is not that comfortable. I have not tried it though, what are your thoughts? Trying to decide between the folding wire stock or collapsable.

I went with pistol to rifle. It took longer to get the stock than to get the stamp

Yeah after I posted that I wondered if it said where I had lived a while ago. I am currently in North Carolina and I will be moving back in July to Olympia. I have form 1'd a couple of things in anticipation of the law preventing me from doing it when I move back. The MPX was one of them.

Wait a minute. I thought there were still issues with the way the legislature wrote the law? You cant add anything because then you are a manufacturer???

cycles really fast and is alot of fun to shoot. the stock is fine when fully extended pretty much useless in any other position. I also have the sig brace that came with my pistol so didn't really see the need in ordering the folder

Wait a minute. I thought there were still issues with the way the legislature wrote the law? You cant add anything because then you are a manufacturer???

No one is manufacturing anything here. Making yes, manufacturing no. Just because the guy sweeping the floor at DOL doesn't know the difference doesn't mean we all need to fall into the same quicksand of ignorance! ;)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews