JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In section 8. (2) (d) of the SB 501 bill it only provides for a telephone method as requirement to complete background check processs with OSP. Does that mean no more online background checks for FFLs? That should rile up the FFLs.

"
(d) The gun dealer shall request by telephone that the department conduct a criminal [history record] background check on the purchaser and shall provide the following information to the department:"

You're missing the point. It'll do away with FFLs in Oregon entirely. Look at the restrictions in the law, the appetite of FFLs since the end of 2012 (and pre 2016 election), and come up with a sustainable business model going forward selling guns with neutered 5 round mags, and 20 rounds per person per month. It's not possible (by design). Big box stores may survive because they don't rely on gun/ammo sales entirely, and can go the way of dicks, but every other gun shop better start talking to each other and unite in their message to Oregon's elected officials that SB501 will condemn them all to bankruptcy (fully aware that's a message destined to fall on deaf ears). The only shop I've been in where the employees were talking about it did nothing more than suggest I start panic buying. Real classy.

You're missing the point. It'll do away with FFLs in Oregon entirely. Look at the restrictions in the law, the appetite of FFLs since the end of 2012 (and pre 2016 election), and come up with a sustainable business model going forward selling guns with neutered 5 round mags, and 20 rounds per person per month. It's not possible (by design). Big box stores may survive because they don't rely on gun/ammo sales entirely, and can go the way of dicks, but every other gun shop better start talking to each other and unite in their message to Oregon's elected officials that SB501 will condemn them all to bankruptcy (fully aware that's a message destined to fall on deaf ears). The only shop I've been in where the employees were talking about it did nothing more than suggest I start panic buying. Real classy.
I was simply addressing the language in the bill regarding the permitted methods allowed for in intiating background checks. It requires telephone call to initiate background check.

I agree that FFLs need to unite and stand up to this in a much bigger and more publicly visible way. But I won't discount the entrepreneurial spirit of small business people. A few may give up but I expect most will adapt. I actually expect the total number of FFLs to increase as they will be exempted from some of the restrictions. I would strongly encourage this for anybody who can financially afford it. I would like to see micro FFL operations start up in office buildings or strip malls where rent can be shared. Sort of like gun shows but with permanent and more secure floor space.

Ammo has long shelf life, I would agree with that shop to buy now while prices are low.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top