JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Goose is right...that stock is as bad as it gets. It is a nice action and barrel, and with a $100 Boyds stock you are willing to bed would make a nice rifle. If you are not up to bedding a stock and don't want to pay for it to be done, $300 gets you a great Bell and Carlson and $400 gets you the same stock with an H.S. Precision name on it.

This thread has been discussed so many time that it borders on beating a dead horse. There are an awful lot of savage fanboys out there. The truth is that they are a fugly rifle. That is to say, functionally ugly. I dislike the looks, especially the bolt and barrel nut. I think they clutter the rifle. I don't care for the accu-trigger. But they often work straight out of the box.
Same can be said of the Remington. The last heavy barrel .308 I had was a Rem 700 AAC-sd. It had a short heavy barrel and a hogue stock from the factory. With hand loads it shot ragged hole groups at 100 yards.
I really like the Howa rifles. As a gunsmith, they are nicer to work with than the Remington. They look better than the Savage. They have an adjustable trigger without needing a giant bar in the middle of it. I have no need for a heavy barrel .308, but that's where I would start if I were buying one now.

Despite what anyone tells you, there will be stellar rifles coming from all three companies as well as absolute turds. But at 500 yards all three should do what you want.

Add in the cost of a stock. This one is not even Tupperware. I had exactly this stock and it truly is crap. There was actually a pin on the front that touched the "free floated barrel". Which Remington Insister was intentional.

That is hardly an impediment. There are way more 3rd party stocks available for the 700 than any other rifle.

This fellow slapped a HS Precision stock on his 700 Varmint SF in 308, and it shot great with just a 10x scope on it.

Rem700-308-1.jpg

Checkout his video here:

The OP has never come back to this thread since he started it, though. So it may be a waste of our time even discussing all of this.

"The OP has never come back to this thread since he started it, though. So it may be a waste of our time even discussing all of this."

Now,how could discussing guns be a waste of time?