JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am pretty set on my rifles right now, except a long range rifle. I've been looking at the Savages and Remingtons. I've had many M700, and I like them, but I think maybe Savage has more to offer for the money. I'd like to stay around $800 for the rifle, and then put about $500 into a scope (thinking Vortex). This doesn't (isn't going to be) have to be the best or top of the line, but it would be nice to hit paper plates at 500yds or so, consistently. I'd like to not have to swap stock, cause they get expensive. Pretty much looking for a box stock rifle, minus optics and bi-pod, that will do what I want. I also want a heavy (ish) barrel and more of a tactical style stock if possible.

WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR?!

i own a rem 700 adl in 308. i like it, it hits what i aim at and im happy with it. never can go wrong with a 700. i have two savage hunting rifles. one is a model 11 trophy hunter xp 308 with accutrigger, the other a model 116 300 win mag non accutrigger. with both rifles are bone stock and i have taken shots out to 450 yards with much success.i am by no means a bench shooter but shoot ATLEAST moa with my handloads. i am a firm believer in savage rifles and have recommended them to anyone that asks. its hard to beat the value. if i were thinkin about buying a bench rifle for around 800ish i would be looking for a savage 10fp.

Get the Remy 700

Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

Savage makes a straight shooting rifle, but, for example, when it comes time to re-barrel or find an HS stock - Good luck.

You will have an unlimited number of aftermarket items available for the 700, if you upgrade components in the future. No so with a Savage.
Shilen barrels at Midway & Brownells. chamber reamers also...........
Stocks at Stocky's stocks, Midway, Red Hawk Rifles............
Competition triggers..........
Scope Bases..........
Receiver Bolts & Parts.........
Bottom Metal.............

Last Edited:
I had a Savage model 12 SS Varmit in 308. Shot good but not great.
A little over 1 inch groups at 100 yards. It looked like this.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12VLPDBM
I now have a heavey barrel Savage model 10 in 308. Composite
stock. Shoots unbelevable. One hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards!
With just a cheap 3X9 glass on it. I have never owned a Remington
model 700. I have a shooting biddy that has a couple of them and
they do shoot extremely well. I hold the Remington 700 in very hgh
regaurd.

I am pretty set on my rifles right now, except a long range rifle. I've been looking at the Savages and Remingtons. I've had many M700, and I like them, but I think maybe Savage has more to offer for the money. I'd like to stay around $800 for the rifle, and then put about $500 into a scope (thinking Vortex). This doesn't (isn't going to be) have to be the best or top of the line, but it would be nice to hit paper plates at 500yds or so, consistently. I'd like to not have to swap stock, cause they get expensive. Pretty much looking for a box stock rifle, minus optics and bi-pod, that will do what I want. I also want a heavy (ish) barrel and more of a tactical style stock if possible.

WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR?!

Get a Howa. They are real quality made rifles and are extremely accurate. They have some real handsome models too, and their current rifles now come with great triggers on them.

This chart shows some of the awesome features they have:

Legacy_Sports_Howa_Classic_Laminate_Thumbhole_Varminter_Rifle.jpg

Very impressive rifle when you see one in person:

IMG00032-20090418-0022.jpg

IMG00035-20090418-0024.jpg

Available with or without a thumbhole in the stock.

Bud's Gun Shop will ship a stainless model with a heavy 24 inch barrel and a thumbhole stock for $768. And that is the most expensive variant.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_280/products_id/16266/Howa+4+++1+308+Win.+Varmint+wStainless+Heavy+Barrel+&+Thumb

Last Edited:
Savage isn't slumming. Remington built a set of custom 40-x rifles for one of the US shooting teams. They tried them and all the shooters returned them in favor of Savages. In competition outside of bench rest they represent 70%+ of winning rifles.

There are lots of aftermarket options and the statement that you get more barrel choices is ignorant. There are at least a dozen barrel manufacturers including Shilen, bartlein, PAC nor, criterion, Douglass, brix and others. AND changing a savage barrel takes a headspace gauge and a reciever wrench and 5 minutes.

Get a 308 and the bolt face is good for 308, 260, 6mmbr, 7mmbr, 22-250, 20br, 243, 6.5 creedmoor, and more.

I have owned two r700 in the last 6 years both were marginal quality. One was sold and replaced with a savage. The other had to get a new trigger, recoil dampner, HS stock and Timney trigger and it finally works.

Savage is clearly the one to beat and has been since 2005 or so.

Between those two I would take the Remington, no questions asked. My luck with Savage rifles have not been great. Several malfunctions, bad triggers and I don't like the clunky look of them.

Take a look at Howa or Wby Vanguard rifles. Both of them are better values than the Remington. Price is on par with the Savage but the quality is much higher.

Check out my thread on the Savage 10T from Cabela's. The aren't on sale for $539.99 any more but there is still a $100 mail in rebate on them and I don't think you will find a more accurate full featured tactical bolt rifle for anything close to $500 (after rebate).
That would enable you to up your scope budget to $800, which really broadens your optics options. I went with a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14X40 on mine (on sale st SW FOR $699.99). I Really like mine and am shooting my first hunters benchrest match with it tomorrow. Curious to see how well a box stock sub $450 rifle stacks up against some of he custom jobs with better operators!

Sadly, the quality of Remington 700s has dropped considerably in recent years. I've owned a coupple of older ones, and they were great, but I would not purchase a new one.

I've fired a few newer Savage bolt actions, and was very impressed. If I were to buy a tactical bolt action for less than $1,000, I'd opt for that.

Sadly, the quality of Remington 700s has dropped considerably in recent years. I've owned a coupple of older ones, and they were great, but I would not purchase a new one.

Sadly, as another former Remington fan, I would have to agree with you on this.

In my opinion, this downturn at Remington all happened after they were purchased by that Cerberus Capital Management and became part of their Freedom Group in 2007. When that happened, Remington started discontinuing some of their best rifle models, which I found to be quite unbelievable as to why they would want to do that. Although some of these models had become quite expensive, with MSRP's over $900 and even over $1000 in a few cases.

I still own two great Remington 700's in .22-250 and .243 Win that are totally awesome rifles. But neither one is available for purchase today.

308 rifle? The Remington 700 tactical,hands down.
Thee only big bore I have,with my limited abilities,made 1 hole groups with. The barrels are the left overs from the police and military sniper rifles .So they are just short of perfect.Well mine was at least.
Not a big fan of the Houge overmold stock but the rifle as a whole is as good as it gets.

Remington is still making the Model 700 Varmint SF in 308. If he wants to get a Remington, that is the one that I would pick. And apparently they can still be had at good prices. This dealer is discounting one for just under $700.

That is a lot less than the Police Tactical, and I think this is a nicer gun.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-varmint-sf.aspx

View attachment 240749

View attachment 240750

Add in the cost of a stock. This one is not even Tupperware. I had exactly this stock and it truly is crap. There was actually a pin on the front that touched the "free floated barrel". Which Remington Insister was intentional.