JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So me and a buddy are gonna be heading to the pawn shops this weekend to find a couple cheep savage long or short actions ... I know I want to stay with like a modle 10 or 11 ... Is there anything i should look for that would make my build easyer ... Gonna do 260 rem in a short action or 6.5-06 in a long action

I would avoid the older flat back actions, they're the ones that are not round where the rear scope base would bolt on. Look for a newer center feed model. On a short action it will have a screw spacing of 4.4" not 4.27 like the older ones. Also avoid the fairly new ones that have a non-adjustable firing pin. On these you can usually see a spring down inside the slot in the bolt by the cocking pin. See pick below. Lastly before you go look at Midway and Stocky's for the kind of stock you want and check if it fits bottom bolt release or side bolt release guns. They're not always interchangeable. Good luck.
PICT0006_zps09624c9c.jpg

I would avoid the older flat back actions, they're the ones that are not round where the rear scope base would bolt on. Look for a newer center feed model. On a short action it will have a screw spacing of 4.4" not 4.27 like the older ones. Also avoid the fairly new ones that have a non-adjustable firing pin. On these you can usually see a spring down inside the slot in the bolt by the cocking pin. See pick below. Lastly before you go look at Midway and Stocky's for the kind of stock you want and check if it fits bottom bolt release or side bolt release guns. They're not always interchangeable. Good luck.
View attachment 561292

Ok so avoild old ones with flat black actions and can you find a pic of what your saying with the action ...

I would like to do all the work my self.. And i plan on shooting alot with the hot loads. So the ablitly to rebarrel with the limited gunsmithing skills i have is a +

I would like to do all the work my self.. And i plan on shooting alot with the hot loads. So the ablitly to rebarrel with the limited gunsmithing skills i have is a +
it's not just simply swapping out barrels. A good barrel will last over 1000 rounds, even loaded hot. That's more than most people shoot before losing interest in a toy project. It's not a 10/22

it's not just simply swapping out barrels. A good barrel will last over 1000 rounds, even loaded hot. That's more than most people shoot before losing interest in a toy project. It's not a 10/22
What? 1000 rounds is nothing on a target rifle unless you are way over bore. Being able to swap barrels is essential.

Alphapygmy gave you great info. I'd listen to him.

Ok so avoild old ones with flat black actions and can you find a pic of what your saying with the action ...

I would look for a 3rd gen short action. Not in the pic below but you get the idea, it'll have a screw spacing of 4.4" and have a magazine that feeds from the centerline of the action. I occasionally see some 4.27" actions and they feed staggered left then right from the centerline of the action.
The thing about Savage is they love to change crap all the time. They're easy to change barrels without a lathe but there's lots of little variations to watch out for that can cause a lot of frustration when it doesn't go together smoothly. Side or bottom bolt release, at least 2 different centerfeed bottom metals, etc...

If you reload and aren't planning for the apocalypse I'd do a 6.5x47L or a 6.5 Creedmoor. If you want to go cool factor and more speed look at 260AI. I'd pass on 260, the others are a little easier to tune and the sharper shoulder makes the case more stable and requires less trimming. 308 is great from a barrel life and availability standpoint but 6.5 is fairly superior ballistically and recoil wise. I've put collectively 1000's of rounds through all these and it's just my experience but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Action_Lengths.jpg

Last Edited:
Grab you a Savage 4.4" short action, add a Criterion barrel, match recoil lug, and trued barrel nut from Northland Shooter Supply. Bed it into a decent stock, slap on some decent glass. Break it in properly with a quality bore guide. Shoot 800 yards... Most barrels will speed up a little somewhere around 125-150 rounds so a little load re-tuning may be in order.

So me and a buddy are gonna be heading to the pawn shops this weekend to find a couple cheep savage long or short actions ... I know I want to stay with like a modle 10 or 11 ... Is there anything i should look for that would make my build easyer ... Gonna do 260 rem in a short action or 6.5-06 in a long action

Good idea. I should have gone that route, instead of just buying the 12fv cabela's exclusive, which they had on sale the other week for $319.00.... I didn't get the satisfaction of "building" it and get ho hum accuracy from the pos:

[By the way, this rifle has exactly a 1,000 rounds through it now and the only thing I've noticed is the throat has grown .020", so now my loads are .040" from the lands, but still shooting pretty good. Just thought I'd throw that out there, since there was talk about rifles with 1000 rounds down the tube].....:
J5P4Bo1.jpg
RpgJIlg.jpg

I may unscrew the barrel and do it right next time around...

In all honesty, if you are looking to build off of an action, the 12 fv would be a good option and at a great deal from time to time at Cabela's. Another route would be to find an older Stevens 200. The last one I bought was still brand new in the box and I played around with the bedding and threw it in a newer trophy hunter stock my buddy gave me. The rifle cost me $300.00 and shoots like this:
dw5ffFT.jpg
JNX0uWl.jpg
Y03GMNY.jpg

The model 10 is a good action as well. Some savage guys prefer the top side bolt release, which all of my savage rifles have. The predator .223 rem model 10, I recently bought for $400.00 also shoots lights out and is a great option..... Good luck to the op, whichever route he takes.. Hard to go wrong with Savage, if one is looking for good consistent accuracy, without breaking the bank..
20YVffx.jpg

Last Edited:
Ok so i totaly saw what you ment on the reciver ...
View attachment 561292

Pawn shops didnt wanna work with me today too so no dice ... But i thinki will go with thr 6.5-06 ai or the 260 ai

You might take a look at 6.5 PRC and also the Remage (M700 w/Savage barrel system) that i posted above.

Remages can work very well but they have their road bumps too. It can be hard to get the barrel off for the home builder, some are threadlocked locked on like the 2 I've built. Sometimes the nut doesn't fit into the stock inletting. I used a Mcree chassis so it worked fine. Lastly, the tolerances around the bolt nose recess cut in Remage barrels can let the bolt nose touch and either prevent proper headspace or cause funny harmonics and accuracy issues. I put a PTG one piece bolt in mine and it just barely touched the barrel and wouldn't shoot well until I put some blue Dykem on the bolt nose and found it was rubbing in the recess cut. After that was taken care of it turned into an absolute tack driver, maybe my all around favorite rifle. 6.5x47L easy to load, Timney trigger, Criterion barrel, Mcree chassis.
In all fairness I think a Remage is a little harder to build but can be better in the end. Much better aftermarket triggers and stocks, and better standardization through the years. Quality has really gone down hill recently and primary extraction is usually poor but there's work arounds. Really either one will be fine with a quality barrel, some good bedding, and good ammo.

I "built" my target rifle starting with a .223 Savage 12 FV from Cabela's. Got it on sale for $319, minus a $100 gift card. Added a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, $140, turned some steel pillars from stock on hand, Devcon bedding compound, $30 (?), and topped it off with a new Bushnell Engage 4-12x40, on sale, another $150 plus $30 (?) for rings. Total out of pocket under $500, and it's an easy 1/2 MOA shooter with good factory ammo. I'm still working up loads for it, I got distracted by pistols last year and set it aside, but have started up again this spring. Need to do some fine tuning, but I've already got one load that's looking to come in under a 1/2 minute, and I still have several others to try. Will need to upgrade the scope, this just isn't enough scope for me when I start stretching its legs out past a couple hundred yards. Don't know why folks are saying a Remington is "prettier", I think this looks just fine :D:

IMG_0413.JPG

And a bit of a close-up on my pillar escutcheon, what's the point of doing nice work if you can't show it off once in awhile :cool::

IMG_0415.JPG

I like the Boyd's stock, it fits well, and works well off the bench. Later.

Dave

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads