JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a cheap M10 rifle I'll be pulling apart to build a new gun.
The question is what caliber?
7mm-08
6.5 creedmoor

I don't have 6.5 creedmoor any thing. But I do have a good 6.5 Grendel. I do have a few hundred bullets but on the small end of the scale.
The 308 I have plenty of brass and bullets and a few hundred loaded rounds.
7mm-08 I have a few hundred rounds and brass and bullets.

What would you choose and why ?
0-1000yds when I can go have fun. 400+- max for hunting in the future if I stop shooting archery.
Thanks Jake.

I bought an older, new 10FP from a seller in Everett a couple of years back. I changed over to AICS as the Savage magazines were very unreliable. While I was at it, I swapped in GRS stock. Haven't range tested yet. I stuck with 308 because of the ease in purchasing and reloading.

This is like asking someone to choose their favorite child. Whenever I'm asked that question, I pick the neighbors kid, because that kid is awesome. So I'm going with .358 Winchester.

For 1000yds, go with the 6.5 manbun. I know it's cliche, but for good reason. Outstanding BC bullets, lowest wind drift of the bunch. Easy to buy or roll your own. The 308 does have a much longer barrel life however. And a bit more knowdown oomph than the manbun if you're shooting elk. The 7-08 is the best deer round with least recoil, just not the modern choice for a precision rifle. Agree with the comment about multiple barrel options. Have a long range target barrel in 6.5cm and a bigger game knockdown cartridge like 7mm or 300 PRC… not that the brass is easy to find, it's not, but elk at long range… and steel at a mile? No problem… if using a short action cartridge in a long action receiver. But if u have a short action receiver, the long action wonderrounds are a no-go.

Last Edited:
6mm ARC was the last one I had. Damn that thing shot incredibly well.

I removed the 6 arc from my list bc I have a 243 and I have WAY less reloading supplies for that cal than any other.
The 308 makes sense from availability stand point. As does the 6.5cm. I shoot heavy and light 308 bullets in my two 300blk rifles already. I shoot up to 130 in my Grendel as well.
For the 7mm. I bubblegum the snot out of a REM M7. That thing shot lights out. Till my lights and water went out and had to sell it. Now many years later I'm looking at it again.
I know the length needed to shoot the high BC bullets in 08 base cartridges is mid or long action. Or you start getting into powder compression.
Since I can't ever see getting past 1000 rounds threw it. I don't think burning a barrel is a problem.
I'll look at the switch barrel. I've heard of one out of Texas that makes one but I don't know about savage yet.
Thanks all!

I'd go with the 7mm-08.

I found an old Remington 788 carbine in 7mm-08 and it is my go to hunting rifle. Ligt, short and scary accurate. Plenty of factory loads, and east to reload for also. I shoot a lot of Privi Partisan ammo out of mine. No issues at all.

"I have a Subaru Crosstrek. What's the best trailer to use to haul my 9000lb tractor?"

Sell the short action and buy a long action if you want to do "long action" jobs.

:D

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top