JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a cheap M10 rifle I'll be pulling apart to build a new gun.
The question is what caliber?
7mm-08
6.5 creedmoor

I don't have 6.5 creedmoor any thing. But I do have a good 6.5 Grendel. I do have a few hundred bullets but on the small end of the scale.
The 308 I have plenty of brass and bullets and a few hundred loaded rounds.
7mm-08 I have a few hundred rounds and brass and bullets.

What would you choose and why ?
0-1000yds when I can go have fun. 400+- max for hunting in the future if I stop shooting archery.
Thanks Jake.

I bought an older, new 10FP from a seller in Everett a couple of years back. I changed over to AICS as the Savage magazines were very unreliable. While I was at it, I swapped in GRS stock. Haven't range tested yet. I stuck with 308 because of the ease in purchasing and reloading.

This is like asking someone to choose their favorite child. Whenever I'm asked that question, I pick the neighbors kid, because that kid is awesome. So I'm going with .358 Winchester.

For 1000yds, go with the 6.5 manbun. I know it's cliche, but for good reason. Outstanding BC bullets, lowest wind drift of the bunch. Easy to buy or roll your own. The 308 does have a much longer barrel life however. And a bit more knowdown oomph than the manbun if you're shooting elk. The 7-08 is the best deer round with least recoil, just not the modern choice for a precision rifle. Agree with the comment about multiple barrel options. Have a long range target barrel in 6.5cm and a bigger game knockdown cartridge like 7mm or 300 PRC… not that the brass is easy to find, it's not, but elk at long range… and steel at a mile? No problem… if using a short action cartridge in a long action receiver. But if u have a short action receiver, the long action wonderrounds are a no-go.

Last Edited:
6mm ARC was the last one I had. Damn that thing shot incredibly well.

I removed the 6 arc from my list bc I have a 243 and I have WAY less reloading supplies for that cal than any other.
The 308 makes sense from availability stand point. As does the 6.5cm. I shoot heavy and light 308 bullets in my two 300blk rifles already. I shoot up to 130 in my Grendel as well.
For the 7mm. I bubblegum the snot out of a REM M7. That thing shot lights out. Till my lights and water went out and had to sell it. Now many years later I'm looking at it again.
I know the length needed to shoot the high BC bullets in 08 base cartridges is mid or long action. Or you start getting into powder compression.
Since I can't ever see getting past 1000 rounds threw it. I don't think burning a barrel is a problem.
I'll look at the switch barrel. I've heard of one out of Texas that makes one but I don't know about savage yet.
Thanks all!

I'd go with the 7mm-08.

I found an old Remington 788 carbine in 7mm-08 and it is my go to hunting rifle. Ligt, short and scary accurate. Plenty of factory loads, and east to reload for also. I shoot a lot of Privi Partisan ammo out of mine. No issues at all.

"I have a Subaru Crosstrek. What's the best trailer to use to haul my 9000lb tractor?"

Sell the short action and buy a long action if you want to do "long action" jobs.

:D

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews