JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not the expert but I did find this:

Savage axis actions are all one length, these can be short OR long action by simply rotating the lug on the axis bolt body.

Savage Axis receivers are all one length: long action. Short action calibers utilize a shorter magazine and a spacer in the factory stock. You can rebarrel an Axis to short or long action, but would need the appropriate mag and stock. For your example, you would need a .30-06 barrel, factory or aftermarket Axis long action stock and long action magazine. The .308 stock and mag won't work. I heard they are a little tougher to rebarrel than a 10/110 action because the threads are not as clean, but haven't actually done that myself. I have done a 110 action, but not an Axis or Axis II.

My Axis II only came in long action. The short action calibers have a spacer in the mag to keep the short cartridges forward. the bolt still has full travel. the barrel and bolt face has to be changed to swap calibers. with a new bolt face mag and barrel I could go from 223 to 30-06. DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top