JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wanted to see what everyone would do with an old savage 110e 30-06.

I have been considering tearing it down, rebarreling in long range target caliber, and bedding it in a stock capable of using hi cap Mag's.

Or just selling it and starting over..

What do you think? Would like to see suggestions using budget and money is no option!

I like the 30-06 as a long range caliber as well when you use heavier bullets.

There are some nice 7mm bullets available for long range shooting. The 280 AI would be a good chambering as well.

Many of the higher end barrel makers are offering drop in barrels for Savage rifles. I have had good luck with Shillen. Be sure to choose a barrel with a twist rate that matches heavier bullets. A varmint or bull contour would be preferred.

How about a Mcmillian stock? Too rich for my blood.....Bell & Carlson make 'em for the Savage long action. Choate and Hogue are ugly but offer models with full length bedding blocks rather then just the dual pillars.

Don't forget an aftermarket trigger. I like the Sharp Shooters Supply trigger. Rifle Basix makes one as well.

Finding bottom metal for a long action detachable box mag may be difficult. I have only seen them for short action Savage.

The 110's haven't changed screw spacing so you're good there. Pick up a trigger, choice of barrel, CDI bottom metal you'll have the choice of the short box or long box, or go Accurate mag for a lil cheaper (all AICS mag compatable). Stocks for the 110 are somewhat limited in the semi budget arena.

I'd go a different route with a 110E action. I would buy a EH SHAW .35 Whelen barrel kit and build a nice Bear/Elk rifle. Wouldn't even need to change the stock unless the new barrel had a slightly heavier profile. And then you could just sand the barrel channel to match.

I was told the 6.5x284 is extremely accurate and was my first choice. I looked it up and sounds like a perfect long range target round. They also say you go through barells very fast.

I turned a left hand '06 into a 6mm rem for a varmint/coyote gun. got bored with that & turned it into a 223. they're a pretty flexible platform. I got a lot of my advice from <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top