JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
no backstop, as someone who hunts and forages this area can we close this? Live trees are being shot....

This has been going on here for a long time but I noticed today the damage has greatly increased.
45.7640, -123.4133

@Cogs

0705211624salmonbery.jpg

0705211624asalmonberry.jpg

0705211625_HDRsalmonberry.jpg

0705211625 salmonberry.jpg

Man , I just went to wolf Creek and drove past the lanes a few miles up to the right. Some knuckle heads left a truck canopy cover and some other crap. I was fuming pissed. I don't get these people who can take advantage of the outdoors only to make it look like Portland. I hope I catch some idiots littering, it will be a win in the never ending battle of Dirtbags. Rant over….

no backstop, as someone who hunts and forages this area can we close this? Live trees are being shot....

This has been going on here for a long time but I noticed today the damage has greatly increased.
45.7640, -123.4133

@Cogs

View attachment 986822

View attachment 986824

View attachment 986825

View attachment 986826
Good call, Koda. I'll ask ODF if we can do that, but first we should come up with a recommendation of how to do it. I'm kind of thinking a gate at the beginning, remove that downed log, and put a no shooting sign up. Make it look like just a standard closed spur road.

They should never put a log across the road to block it. And they always do it about 50 yards from the beginning. It's a cheap way to close a road to vehicle access. If a sportsman were to do that, he'd know that someone would think it's a place to put targets, so, the sportsman, using common sense, would locate the log at the entrance to the road. Either that or he'd put a gate up at the entrance.

I don't think placing boulders would work because they will be used as a firing line and will get graffiti tags.

Any other ideas before I send it in?

Man , I just went to wolf Creek and drove past the lanes a few miles up to the right. Some knuckle heads left a truck canopy cover and some other crap. I was fuming pissed. I don't get these people who can take advantage of the outdoors only to make it look like Portland. I hope I catch some idiots littering, it will be a win in the never ending battle of Dirtbags. Rant over….
I'll include your info in my note to ODF. Thanks Adam!

Bill

Good call, Koda. I'll ask ODF if we can do that, but first we should come up with a recommendation of how to do it. I'm kind of thinking a gate at the beginning, remove that downed log, and put a no shooting sign up. Make it look like just a standard closed spur road.

They should never put a log across the road to block it. And they always do it about 50 yards from the beginning. It's a cheap way to close a road to vehicle access. If a sportsman were to do that, he'd know that someone would think it's a place to put targets, so, the sportsman, using common sense, would locate the log at the entrance to the road. Either that or he'd put a gate up at the entrance.

I don't think placing boulders would work because they will be used as a firing line and will get graffiti tags.

Any other ideas before I send it in?

I'll include your info in my note to ODF. Thanks Adam!

Bill
What if the boulders were arranged parallel along side Salmonberry road? ....like, leave no room to even park there.

(The spur "road" takes off at an angle from the main. )

I went there after picking up my C93 to do a function test.. it infuriates me that idiots shoot the trees. I dont think they understand once that tree succumbs to fungi after shooting the bark off down to the core that the structural integrity is compromised and the winds that just happen blow through there can create some very deadly conditions or take our their vehicles. Its one of the reasons I dont shoot up there when its windy anymore.

THEN there are those lazy POS' that haul trash up there, shoot/burn it and just leave it all there. I always pick up a trash bag worth of junk when Im out there but it doesnt even make a dent.
It sure seems like its the city dwelling Subaru driving types blasting techno while they shoot that I constantly see leaving junk behind.

8/15/21
*Shotgun shell hulls (cleaned by me)
*Tons of 9mm/380 (didnt check) and 300win mag brass picked up.
*Glass bottles, cardboard (cleaned up)
*And while I was collecting brass.. I came upon an effing syringe. Diabetic or heroin Im unsure.. but I want to violently slap the POS that left such a thing there. I picked that up as well, someone had ran it over and smashed the vial part.

Who are these scum that leave this stuff behind?

Tons of 9mm/380 (didnt check) and 300win mag brass picked up.
I'm really surprised people are leaving brass!

As for the other. No answers for you. I have people living within a block of my home, on the street. The garbage slowly builds up the longer they are there.

I'm really surprised people are leaving brass!

As for the other. No answers for you. I have people living within a block of my home, on the street. The garbage slowly builds up the longer they are there.
Brass I know others pick up, but hulls and trash just gets left there. People doing that dont deserve public land to shoot on. And Koda called it out, I guess the area IS closed.

Shoot it may have been, people coming in and out the entire time I was there, in all honesty as I was passing folks as I drove past the sign and didnt even look.
I really have to get better with checking those signs regardless of traffic.
I don't think they have a gate to close at the beginning of Salmonberry Rd. They may also want it open in case they need to access quickly with emergency and/or fire vehicles. They did mention some spots will not have gates just for that purpose.

Shoot it may have been, people coming in and out the entire time I was there, in all honesty as I was passing folks as I drove past the sign and didnt even look.
I really have to get better with checking those signs regardless of traffic.
I wouldn't worry much about it, I figured people would still be driving up Salmonberry to shoot in the lanes there. The forestry dept closed the whole forest due to fire danger but seems like they could do better with posting larger signs.

I don't think they have a gate to close at the beginning of Salmonberry Rd. They may also want it open in case they need to access quickly with emergency and/or fire vehicles. They did mention some spots will not have gates just for that purpose.
Koda may have been right, there might have been a sign posted. I didnt even check to see. Usually Im good with that stuff unless vehicles pass by and my focus is on them, in which case that was my fault today.
No gates aside from a new logged area right at the entrance.

I wouldn't worry much about it, I figured people would still be driving up Salmonberry to shoot in the lanes there. The forestry dept closed the whole forest due to fire danger but seems like they could do better with posting larger signs.
I do try to practice what I preach. Had I seen the sign I would have respected the closure. Ill have to do better with that. I knew there were county restrictions elsewhere on those hot weeks, I just had assumed Salmonberry was open. I gotta do better with that.

I do try to practice what I preach. Had I seen the sign I would have respected the closure. Ill have to do better with that. I knew there were county restrictions elsewhere on those hot weeks, I just had assumed Salmonberry was open. I gotta do better with that.
Well, they just recently closed it on short order, so they may not have gotten all the signs posted. Not a biggie to just drive down and clean up some spots.

I wonder if you saw anyone shooting, or if shooting was few and far between?

Went friday 8/13, wanted to function check an item. Didnt get to however, at the beginning on the big post board theres a large sign covering it saying no vehicle entry into the forest due to high risk of fire so no one should be going up there if following the rules. Sorry i didnt snap a pic of the board.

Went friday 8/13, wanted to function check an item. Didnt get to however, at the beginning on the big post board theres a large sign covering it saying no vehicle entry into the forest due to high risk of fire so no one should be going up there if following the rules. Sorry i didnt snap a pic of the board.
Thanks for that confimation!

(Damned Friday the 13th!)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top