JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went up this morning, the first pit is a lake. The other areas look clear, including camp 5 rd. There was snow higher up, but clear at the top for use. Expect it to be wet this weekend up there. Bring gloves if you are up early...

Just got the notification that @Grumble gave a like to the above post. It made me think of an encounter with the OSP this week while fixing their furnace at their office.

I had a unique opportunity to chat with a State Police Sargent, based in North Plains, and he asked about what we see on the Salmonberry Rd. I told him lots of BS shooting along with an increase of illegal dumping, homeless invasion and needles. He assured me they will make more frequent patrols up there. I also extended my appreciation for their patrols at North Fork Wolf Creek lanes.

They often use the Wolf Creek lanes when off duty. (You never know who's shooting next to you!!!)

Just got the notification that @Grumble gave a like to the above post. It made me think of an encounter with the OSP this week while fixing their furnace at their office.

I had a unique opportunity to chat with a State Police Sargent, based in North Plains, and he asked about what we see on the Salmonberry Rd. I told him lots of BS shooting along with an increase of illegal dumping, homeless invasion and needles. He assured me they will make more frequent patrols up there. I also extended my appreciation for their patrols at North Fork Wolf Creek lanes.

They often use the Wolf Creek lanes when off duty. (You never know who's shooting next to you!!!)

The "Stater's" going off road? Cool! And amazing at the same time. Nice to realize you have TWO agencies out there, State Police and Wa County Sheriff. But then I live in the heart of potland, where the elected "Powers" canceled police service. So there's that. :(

After a failed attempt to go to Gooseneck Road today to do some bird watching, I ended up going to Salmonberry. The first pit on the left was occupied but still has standing water. I was not able to look at the amount of trash though. I missed the left turn to the first pit (Camp 5) and ended up going up to the bird watching area before the two pits (off Wheeler road). That area was clean and no trash. After shooting I went further down the road to the other two pits

first pit.JPG
First Pit (if you can call it that)

small pit.JPG
Small Pit

camp 5 pit.JPG

Camp 5 pit

Last Edited:
Yes. I was determined to do some bird watching :). Considering I live in North Marion area, I figured why waste a good day.
Ah Ha! North Marion, eh? Have I got a deal for you! Santiam State Forest, just East of Mill City is a decommissioned gravel pit where we are planning an improved shooting site. You're gonna love it!

As of yesterday, I'm waiting to hear back from ODF on access to the pit because of last years fire. It sounds like we'll be good to continue with our plans to drop in a nice 100 yard & 35 yd shooting area in this pit. I like it for the run-n-gun opts it has to offer in 3/4 round shooting walls.

I have some details of the project on the Trash No Land website, and we are trying to move forward with ODF & ODFW to get this done in the summer. https://www.trashnoland.org/fundraisers/615-pit-project/

Ah Ha! North Marion, eh? Have I got a deal for you! Santiam State Forest, just East of Mill City is a decommissioned gravel pit where we are planning an improved shooting site. You're gonna love it!

As of yesterday, I'm waiting to hear back from ODF on access to the pit because of last years fire. It sounds like we'll be good to continue with our plans to drop in a nice 100 yard & 35 yd shooting area in this pit. I like it for the run-n-gun opts it has to offer in 3/4 round shooting walls.

I have some details of the project on the Trash No Land website, and we are trying to move forward with ODF & ODFW to get this done in the summer. https://www.trashnoland.org/fundraisers/615-pit-project/
That looks great. Closer to me plus 100 yard and35 yard range.

@Cogs Seems like camp 5 rd is closed here, but there are several pits not near that pit off Salmonberry. Any idea if they don't want people shooting from there altogether, or just at the rock crushing operation off camp 5 road. That;s How I read it, but I am not sure...

@Cogs Seems like camp 5 rd is closed here, but there are several pits not near that pit off Salmonberry. Any idea if they don't want people shooting from there altogether, or just at the rock crushing operation off camp 5 road. That;s How I read it, but I am not sure...
I don't know for sure. I see the Camp 5 area was closed in Aug, '20 but no word of it reopening. I heard today that the stockpile pit, next to Browns Camp/Beaver Dam Pit is closed due to rock crushing activity. They usually update their Blog info on a regular basis. Search April Blogs and maybe even March Blogs.

Check their Blog and see what's there. It'd be good to subscribe to their Blog to get the latest updates on closures and such.

Tillamook SF Blog: http://tillamookstateforest.blogspot.com/p/target-shooting.html

I don't know for sure. I see the Camp 5 area was closed in Aug, '20 but no word of it reopening. I heard today that the stockpile pit, next to Browns Camp/Beaver Dam Pit is closed due to rock crushing activity. They usually update their Blog info on a regular basis. Search April Blogs and maybe even March Blogs.

Check their Blog and see what's there. It'd be good to subscribe to their Blog to get the latest updates on closures and such.

Tillamook SF Blog: http://tillamookstateforest.blogspot.com/p/target-shooting.html
@Cogs Is browns camp also something off salmonberry rd? I'd like to use the two lower spots, as it's usually less crowded.

@Cogs Is browns camp also something off salmonberry rd? I'd like to use the two lower spots, as it's usually less crowded.
I'm not sure what you mean. Browns camp pit (also called Beaver Dam Rock Creek Pit), is South of Hwy 6. The Salmonberry Rd is South of Hwy 24.

If it helps, you can find the GPS info to Browns Camp pit on the home page map at Trash No Land https://www.trashnoland.org/

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top