JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was up there today at a pit off Wheeler Road, just me and plenty of deer (they left when I started shooting though, not AR fans apparently). Decent amount of snow was coming down too, but was wide open for business.

Was up there today at a pit off Wheeler Road, just me and plenty of deer (they left when I started shooting though, not AR fans apparently). Decent amount of snow was coming down too, but was wide open for business.

Hard core man. Booyah!

how many pits/lanes are off the Salmonberry Road? According to the map at the top of this thread "45.7538391,-123.419243", i see the area in red. Are the other 2 in yellow also for shooting? Are there more?

1587486121234.png

how many pits/lanes are off the Salmonberry Road? According to the map at the top of this thread "45.7538391,-123.419243", i see the area in red. Are the other 2 in yellow also for shooting? Are there more?

View attachment 686971

coming up Salmonberry Road to that pit circled in red there's about 3-4 different pits that people shoot at. Wheeler Road has a couple of spots as well. The 2 in yellow I believe is where they are logging at right now.

Thanks @bad pony ! Yeah, i zoomed out a bit more. I assume you are talking about some of these spots (probably more obvious when driving by)

View attachment 686974

tagging @joonsup

If I read your pic right, that last spot circled is not a shooting lane and is unsafe to shoot at and has been closed. We put a sign up a while back but people keep shooting and stealing tbe sign.
It has no backstop in any direction.

If I read your pic right, that last spot circled is not a shooting lane and is unsafe to shoot at and has been closed. We put a sign up a while back but people keep shooting and stealing tbe sign.
It has no backstop in any direction.

Thanks @Koda, Good to know! Yeah, I want to make sure it's safe for myself and those around me when I go out there. I am glad that I found this forums with all the info. I started with BLM maps and really had no clue where to start. Now I am narrowing it down to Wolf Creek, Salmonberry, and Browns. So far, it's kinda sad to see people are not keeping the site clean, but also glad to see there are some doing their part and then some. :)

The quarry was looking pretty good this morning. We shot for about an hour before we started to clean up. We got a bag and a half of trash before four more vehicles rolled in and started setting up (they saw that we were packing up). Nice folks. We talked to them about NWFA and TNL before we left. Most of the other lanes looked pretty good on the way up to the quarry except for the big lane on the left about part way up.

IMG_20200501_120517.png

Got up a little late on Sunday but still gave it a shot and tried our luck. Originally aimed for Wolf Creek road but all lanes were packed and taken so we headed down to Salmonberry. Right as we turned onto Timber, 3 cars were flying down followed by another shortly after so we felt lucky. BTW, folks, SLOW DOWN, you ain't Colin McRae!
image-1.png

I am not sure the first spot on the right is actually a shooting pit or not. I've never seen anyone shooting there and I've seen people camp there. We took the pit on the left and no having to share lane with anyone. There were four of us and saw many drove up and down and no one tried to ask us to share lane. Although we did save the right side for others just in case.

The pit was not in the greatest shape. A lot of trash left behind and people have been shooting cans, spray bottles, glass, etc. My kid didn't feel like shooting, but as we were cleaning up, he jump out of the car and started cleaning with us. My kid (7 years old) doesn't need to be told, even though he was shooting, would know to clean up. You can do it too!

_nc_ohc=bx_kR6ZyCvcAX955Z__&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Last Edited:
Got up a little late on Sunday but still gave it a shot and tried our luck. Originally aimed for Wolf Creek road but all lanes were packed and taken so we headed down to Salmonberry. Right as we turned onto Timber, 3 cars were flying down followed by another shortly after so we felt lucky. BTW, folks, SLOW DOWN, you ain't Colin McRae!
View attachment 725085

I am not sure the first spot on the right is actually a shooting pit or not. I've never seen anyone shooting there and I've seen people camp there. We took the pit on the left and no having to share lane with anyone. There were four of us and saw many drove up and down and no one tried to ask us to share lane. Although we did save the right side for others just in case.

The pit was not in the greatest shape. A lot of trash left behind and people have been shooting cans, spray bottles, glass, etc. My kid didn't feel like shooting, but as we were cleaning up, he jump out of the car and started cleaning with us. My kid (7 years old) doesn't need to be told, even though he was shooting, would know to clean up. You can do it too!

View attachment 725087

that spot on the right of the picture isn't a shoot spot. The only berm to shoot into there has you aiming for the road and the pit opposite of it. I saw that ODF placed some boulders there to block it off. I've seen people doing both camping and shooting there before they blocked it. All the pits have been pretty messed up lately up there. I was up on Sunday as well, but I go deeper into the forest to a lesser known pit. I try to hit a pit or 2 on the way back to clean, but all were busy.

They're logging big time further up the road, so watch out for the log trucks. They really haul bubblegum on that road and have the right of way.

If you have a CB radio, even a handheld, they run channel 13 out there. Usually there is a small sign at the beginning of the road that says what channel the log trucks talk on. It will only say Ch 13 (could be a different channel but you'll see that sign at the beginning of the road). Sometimes the sign is simply a piece of cardboard with sharpie letters on it.

I think they are supposed to call out at each blind corner.

Road access into forest to be gated and temporarily closed at some locations along Hwy 6 & Hwy 26, to help prevent wild fires.

Hunting and foot traffic still okay to access.

Read more at their blog (and bookmark this link for up to date info on the Tillamook SF).

Tillamook State Forest Blog

More information... This info is from Oregon Dept of Forestry, Forest Grove office...

The gate on N. Fork Wolf Creek Rd will be at the highway before the lanes. We hate to close the lanes but in conferring with the recreation dept, they were on the same page as the rest of the leadership team in that if the fire danger is that high we should close off the whole area to reduce the potential for fire in the fresh clear cuts.

The Salmonberry Road will not be gated but it will be heavily patrolled. People without the appropriate fire tools will be asked to leave the Forest immediately.

Given the fire danger, it would be best for folks to find alternative activities for the holiday weekend. The fire danger will likely head up to EXTREME by Monday or Tuesday.

Hey @Cogs , what does it mean by "appropriate fire tools"? Thanks!
The requirement, for any vehicle traveling through the forest, is min 1 shovel and 1 gallon of water. A better pack would be a shovel and 2 gallons water. Acceptable, and better yet, is a shovel and a fire extinguisher (I add an axe to that).

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top