JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is the pit still open ? what is it's conditions?. Last time up (long ago) it was starting to collect trash and they were working the quarry so we moved on to safer spots
It's there, still full of trash... Doesn't look worked much besides a mound of gravel. There seem to be a few of these around.

Anyone up for pounding some steel?

(Steel posts, I mean!). I'd be happy to pound some steel targets when we're done!

I have the okay and a request for help, from ODF Stephanie Bealls and Randy Peterson, to install the No Shooting signs at 6 locations. Five will go on the North Fork Wolf Creek Rd and one will go at the place on Salmonberry Rd that @Koda mentioned on page 6.

I need at least 2 people to install. ODF is providing the signs, hardware and steel posts. We need to provide a steel post pounder, 3 foot level and basic hand tools for the hardware. I suspect we may need to drill the bolt holes in the steel posts, so, a cordless drill and some drill bits would be in order. I have everything we need, including a real heavy post pounder (home made beast!), but we should have a 2nd set of tools if we get more than 2 people to help.

They asked if we could do this on Sat or Sun, Oct 26 or 27th. I'm okay with either date, although I had mentioned to @WrenchNguns that I'd be able to cover Graffiti on rocks in Yacolt Burn forest on the 26th. Tell you what, Wrench, If I do Salmonberry on Saturday, I'll still do Yacolt on Sunday (or vise versa). Would that work?

I think this sign project should be pretty easy for only 2 people, however, 4 people would get done sooner and on to shooting!

No Shooting ODF Signs Final cropped.jpg

These signs are to alert shooters of unsafe and/or fire hazardous conditions at specific spots where we all know are bad places to shoot yet some people still shoot there. These places should be obvious, even to novice shooters, but apparently some people weren't taught what a backstop is or what it's used for!

Closing down the dangerous places is one way we can help improve our image and move a little closer to making shooting in the forest great again!

Any takers?

We could test some stuff DemolitionRanch style and see if you can drive a t post with 12 gauge slugs?

(Steel posts, I mean!). I'd be happy to pound some steel targets when we're done!

I have the okay and a request for help, from ODF Stephanie Bealls and Randy Peterson, to install the No Shooting signs at 6 locations. Five will go on the North Fork Wolf Creek Rd and one will go at the place on Salmonberry Rd that @Koda mentioned on page 6.

I need at least 2 people to install. ODF is providing the signs, hardware and steel posts. We need to provide a steel post pounder, 3 foot level and basic hand tools for the hardware. I suspect we may need to drill the bolt holes in the steel posts, so, a cordless drill and some drill bits would be in order. I have everything we need, including a real heavy post pounder (home made beast!), but we should have a 2nd set of tools if we get more than 2 people to help.

They asked if we could do this on Sat or Sun, Oct 26 or 27th. I'm okay with either date, although I had mentioned to @WrenchNguns that I'd be able to cover Graffiti on rocks in Yacolt Burn forest on the 26th. Tell you what, Wrench, If I do Salmonberry on Saturday, I'll still do Yacolt on Sunday (or vise versa). Would that work?

I think this sign project should be pretty easy for only 2 people, however, 4 people would get done sooner and on to shooting!

View attachment 625888

These signs are to alert shooters of unsafe and/or fire hazardous conditions at specific spots where we all know are bad places to shoot yet some people still shoot there. These places should be obvious, even to novice shooters, but apparently some people weren't taught what a backstop is or what it's used for!

Closing down the dangerous places is one way we can help improve our image and move a little closer to making shooting in the forest great again!

Any takers?
If you have help for Saturday, I could do Sunday afternoon. Do we want graffiti remover or gray paint? How much do you think?

If you have help for Saturday, I could do Sunday afternoon. Do we want graffiti remover or gray paint? How much do you think?
Saturday is the day for Wolf Creek and Salmonberry Rd. We have 3 people so far and 1 set of tools (post pounder, level and handtools). We could use 1 more person with another pounder! I'm also thinking I should bring some trash bags and do a quick cleanup of each spot we post the signs. I hate thinking we have a sign but is ignored by evidence of shooting trash. We don't want to encourage people to ignore the message.

The Arrowhead Pit in the Yacolt Burn, WA, on Sunday afternoon will work great for me to meet you, Wrench. I'll be there about 2 PM. I plan to pick up at least 4 cans of flat Grey paint (unless I can get a good discount of a case). If you want to pick up 2-4, we'll be covered.

I tried the Graffiti remover and worked my arm off trying to get deep into the pours of the rock and the concrete jersey barrier. Then switched to grey paint and it looked great and went real fast. So, I'm sold on the paint part.

Thanks!

Bill

I have the okay and a request for help, from ODF Stephanie Bealls and Randy Peterson, to install the No Shooting signs at 6 locations.
@Cogs, thanks for doing this, this will help greatly preventing inevitable accidents we dont want to read about.
I was out of town (and cell range) traveling this weekend and will be out of town for a week thru next weekend so I regret I cant help on this request I initiated. I would help if the timing was different but Im also glad we have you and the others that are helping out. Thank you for this.

View attachment 625888

Any takers?
We meet Steph and Roger at the intersection of Hwy 26 & North Fork Wolf Creek Rd, at 10 AM, on Sat, 10-26-19 .​

They will bring out the posts, hardware, and one of ODF's post pounders for us to use. They will also have a map showing the locations identified so far for the signs. They will bring some extra signs and posts if there are a couple of other locations in the area as well that make sense to sign. Our focus for placement of these signs is at locations that clearly have safety issues at them, meaning there is no backstop and people are shooting in the direction of roads, trails, campsites, homes etc.

Any others care to join us? So far, we have @Reno , @Flymph and me, with a bad back! Urgent care put me on light duty and going into therapy this week. So, I won't be too much good! I can use a level and a trash picker tho! No restrictions on the trigger finger! :D

I might be late. Depending on when my wife gets off of an open house she has at her new office location. Should I try and find you guys at a certain location?

If not I'm good to go solo Sunday to get the rest or anything needing finished, finished.

I might be late. Depending on when my wife gets off of an open house she has at her new office location. Should I try and find you guys at a certain location?

If not I'm good to go solo Sunday to get the rest or anything needing finished, finished.
We'll be somewhere on NF Wolf Creek Rd, past the turn off to the lanes. Can't miss us!

I'm curious what the consensus is, or if a sign is going up at the 100 yard dead end road that forks off to the left from Wolf Creek, a ways past the lanes, but before the fork to the 200+ yard spot. I sometimes use that to dial in handloads since there is no wind, and good shade for my chronometer. That spot is usually pretty darn clean too.

While it does go down a 'road' it is thoroughly closed and blocked off from the backside, and while there is a very large backstop/hillside, it's also very green. It seems as safe as the 200+ yard spot, that has a road at the top of the ridge, and dry grass everywhere.

I'm curious what the consensus is, or if a sign is going up at the 100 yard dead end road that forks off to the left from Wolf Creek, a ways past the lanes, but before the fork to the 200+ yard spot. I sometimes use that to dial in handloads since there is no wind, and good shade for my chronometer. That spot is usually pretty darn clean too.

While it does go down a 'road' it is thoroughly closed and blocked off from the backside, and while there is a very large backstop/hillside, it's also very green. It seems as safe as the 200+ yard spot, that has a road at the top of the ridge, and dry grass everywhere.
I haven't seen the map of recommended places to post signs, yet, so I can't say if that's slated for a sign or not. We will have a say in which places get a sign and we'll certainly be evaluating each place on their map. If we don't find safety or 'real' fire hazards with it, we won't place a sign, but rather present our reasonings to ODF.

Perhaps @Reno is more familiar with this location and could share any concerns he may have about it.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top