JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a stamped Saiga Ak-74. I bought it from a private party with two standard muzzle breaks. One is after market and chrome lined, the other is supposedly stock and not chrome lined. The aftermarket one was installed when I bought it, then when I went to install the "original", that's matte black, it felt like it was going to cross-thread after about 1.5 turns. After I get the money I want to put a can on it, it would be nice to know if the threads on the rifle or the threads on the break are messed up. I don't have any other rifles with the same threading to test the break on. Any thoughts on how to figure out what's wroung?

It's very noticeable if thread is stripped. (flat spot or mushed up thread / shiny spot)

How can you cross-thread it after normal 1.5 turn?

It's very noticeable if thread is stripped. (flat spot or mushed up thread / shiny spot)

How can you cross-thread it after normal 1.5 turn?

I didn't strip the threads, I stopped as soon as I encountered resistence. I'm unsure what you're asking, even if you have a US threaded bolt you can get a metric threaded nut on it 1/4 to 2 turns before you find restistence and mess up threads.

clean up your threads really good with a strong solvent and a wire brush, do the same to the inside of the brake, the non chrome lined one is junk and will weld itself to the end of the muzzle if you dont clean it thoroughly

First off it's a "brake" not a break

Do as slice said,then take the brake down to the hardware store and find a bolt that fits it. You will have to go to a better,high end store that has a good selection of bolts.
And you could do the same with the gun.
Or just take them to a machine shop or a gunsmith and have them tell you what the threads are.
Take goodies with you for this.

If you think your theads are damaged you can recut them if you have to. A couple of ways to go here; I am going off the premise that you have 14mmx1 LH thread pattern on your barrel. Order a TAT (tread alignment tool) and die from CNC warrior and clean up the threads by recutting them.

If the first couple threads are damaged so bad repair is not an option then you can cut the barrel back some, the tools are available at Brownells and Dinzag arms.

Good luck.

Last Edited:
If it's just a few burrs a needle triangle file can clean the threads up.. a set is really cheap at harbor Freight tools and everyone should have a set in their gunsmithing tools

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top