JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Our secure firearms storage is kind of a hodge-podge of different things now and I'm looking to improve upon that. I'd like to acquire a good safe that:

• Can store a decent amount of long guns. Say, for sake of a round number, 20 long arms and some handguns. (Give or take; that isn't a hard figure, but puts it in the range of what we're looking for.)
  • Is water and fireproof, if possible.
  • Is not dependent on electronics or electricity to open/close. Or at least has a manual override for said.
  • One no wider than 30 — 40" would be beneficial. (I'm yanking an old safe out of a room. It is a tad over 30" width wise. If I had to, we can move a small, narrow book shelf we have next to it somewhere else, thus freeing up to 40"-ish.)
  • Cost? Don't know. Anything a grand and below is a no-brainer, but if we have to go higher for quality, no worries.
Thanks much for recommendations. :)

I upgraded to a Superior Safe from my older Chinesium 5-6 years ago and couldn't be happier.

Not really in your neck of the woods but Bulldog Tuff Safe carries Superior Safes and after looking at others in the area, their features are why I went with it. The added bonus was the professional service that Bulldog Tuff Safe provided.

My vote is for more than one safe. Master suite, office and basement safe. By dividing "things" between the safes I'm OK with electronics.
Also ignore what the manufactures say fits unless you don't mind packing them in tight and ignoring all the scratches that will cause.

If you can afford it and are willing to pay a bit extra. Bypass the glorified security cabinets that call themselves safes and buy a real safe.
I kept my old safes and use them for ammo and or a go-to firearm in the other part of the house. I ended up after a bunch of research buying a Graffunder. Want a real safe you get what you pay for.

some notes on safes.
If the safe uses plasterboard (or drywall) for fire protection, Note most of them do. While they will protect in a fire, know you will have well-rusted firearms inside after a big fire. Anything paper will disintegrate. If you have any ammo inside it will most likely light off release all those wonderful caustic chemicals inside!
Reason for the above. Drywall absorbs moisture. The way these safes provide fire protection is by boiling the water off that is inside the drywall. And they do provide some insulation to heat transfer. Think of a hot steam bath or Suana inside your safe.

My safe has no drywall or fireboard. Its steel is thick enough that it takes a ton of heat and LONG exposure to it to warm up the contents enough to do damage. Also, no one is getting inside the safe without the combo or a plasma torch. And using the torch will most likely end up damaging most of the contents.

So pay and cry once and never look back if you can. Also, know that once it's in place you are not going to be able to move a real safe! (Or not move it without cutting out the floor.) I had to reinforce the floor joists as well.

Last Edited:
If you want to stay "budget" I have been real happy with the Steelwater I bought a while ago. They are of course China made. Same safes are sold by several names. Electronic key pad lock but they come with special long key that will open them if the lock fails. Best part for me was the delivery was included. They brought it to my house and the driver let me inspect it on the lift gate, then drove it into my garage with an electric pallet jack. They offer several sizes.

Our secure firearms storage is kind of a hodge-podge of different things now and I'm looking to improve upon that. I'd like to acquire a good safe that:

• Can store a decent amount of long guns. Say, for sake of a round number, 20 long arms and some handguns. (Give or take; that isn't a hard figure, but puts it in the range of what we're looking for.)
  • Is water and fireproof, if possible.
  • Is not dependent on electronics or electricity to open/close. Or at least has a manual override for said.
  • One no wider than 30 — 40" would be beneficial. (I'm yanking an old safe out of a room. It is a tad over 30" width wise. If I had to, we can move a small, narrow book shelf we have next to it somewhere else, thus freeing up to 40"-ish.)
  • Cost? Don't know. Anything a grand and below is a no-brainer, but if we have to go higher for quality, no worries.
Vault pro they are the best

You really need to think about this and clarify what it is you really need/want. The word "safe" can be a very broad and generic term that covers everything from the cheap CostCo special RSC's (Residential Security Container)...RSC's are what most people have...and run all the way up to a true TL rated safe that can weigh thousands of pounds and cost from $8,000 - $15,000 or more.

Note: How much safe you need is often defined by the value of what you are intending to protect.

Do you understand the difference between a RSC and a real Safe? Because you really should so that you understand just how much security you are really getting...or not getting.

It would be a bummer if you thought you had a really good safe and decided to forgo the purchase of firearms insurance, only to find out after a theft that what you had was actually a RSC that was relatively easy to get into.

Note too that sorting safes out is no small task. The problem is that most of what you truly need to know about is under the paint and not visible. And Safe makers don't get real detailed about their products for obvious security reasons. So it can be very difficult to understand and compare products. This is where a really good retailer can help.

Two high end safe MFG's are Graffunder and Brown Safe. Brown's website isn't really laid out in the best manner but there is a ton of information there worth reviewing IMO.

I have a couple of these AMSEC BF safes

They sure cost a lot less when I bought them 10 years ago & they had a 2 hour fire rating too

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top