Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Safe Installers?

Discussion in 'Gun Safes & Secure Storage' started by GuyBMeredith, May 29, 2016.

1. GuyBMeredith

GuyBMeredith Salem, Oregon Active Member

Okay, I have my Sturdy safe sitting on a pallet in the garage, waiting for touch up paint before rolling it into position. Now I am not really sure about a 160 pound non athletic 70 year old rolling that 700 pound safe around without having to resort to Medicare.

Any good installers around for the Salem area? Bonded, insured et all? Sportsmans Warehouse advertises Oregon Pro Arms, but what I am able to search out on them is not encouraging.

Velzey likes this.
  2. aasbra

aasbra Portland Active Member

I used Fort Knox Northwest out of Canby based on a recommendation from a friend. Their number is 1(800)238-5669. Did a fine job and price was not unreasonable.

Spendon and GuyBMeredith like this.
  3. Lilhigbee

Lilhigbee SE Portland Visit Target550.com Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I think the Liberty Safe guy in Hubbard will do it. Give him a call. 503-351-0627.

4. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

I'm a locksmith, and I usually find a furniture mover will charge less than a dedicated safe mover

oknow likes this.
  5. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

^^^^this^^^^^

6. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  7. kilimanjaro

kilimanjaro Skagit County Well-Known Member

Go to a moving outfit, they'll send a couple of guys with the gear they need to move it.

If it's on a pallet now, and going in the garage, you could rent a pallet jack and move it yourself. You'll need a buddy to help you get the pallet away.

GuyBMeredith and oknow like this.
  8. Dungannon

Dungannon Vancouver, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

9. GuyBMeredith

I've seen the videos put out by Dean's. One has a "This was done by a professional. Do not try this at home without help" disclaimer. I have a bunch of dowels and may give it a go, but I'd rather not have to be on a learning curve pushing a 700 pound safe around and trying to place it with any precision.

10. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

When I moved my 850 pound amsec BF series safe I used three lengths of 1 1/2" white plastic pvc tubing. You'll need help both to tip the safe to get it on the tubing, and also to always keep
    a piece of tubing in front of the safe, as you roll it along. I used the same tactics with my big 1850 pound amsec BF series safe too, but I substituted 1 1/2" steel pipe and had two helpers.

The main thing is it just isn't worth losing a finger or a toe to save a few hundred bucks--You need to have patient helpers and plenty of time

GuyBMeredith likes this.
  11. GuyBMeredith

I used Kirk at Liberty Safe. The job is done, but there were some bumps in t he road. I won't go into the details, but basically he had not encountered a Sturdy brand safe with fire lining.

I was pretty shaken at how easy Kirk could move around a 700 lb safe. You definitely want to make sure to bolt all safes down.

Also, Kirk is definitely a sales type. The Sturdy safe is almost 1/4 inch walls and 3/8 inch steel plate with 4 inch 3/16 inch steel C channel re-enforcement and he kept harping on UL rating. I am sure Liberty's 12 GA walls and 12 GA wrapped doors aren't going to best the Sturdy safe in preventing break in, UL rating or not. :rolleyes: