Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

S&W .44 mag mod 29?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Barone20, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Barone20

Barone20 Damascus, Or Active Member

i had a gun of mine looked at years ago and was told it was 1956 5-screw. which would be pre -29 if im correct. recently i did some homework and looked at sn# and found S207xxx. where am i looking to make it a 5 screw. the number i am getting tells me 1960. i thought the 5 screw was only until 56.
    any help from someone would be appreciated.

2. Dusky

Dusky Eugene Member

Does it have a 29- number on the inside of the crane below the ser. no.? If so what is it?

3. Barone20

It says S207XXX
    mod29

4. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

As it says there, it's a 29 "no dash" - e.g., Model 29 with no engineering revision. 1960 sounds correct. It would be a "four screw" as the upper sideplate screw is gone, but the trigger guard screw is still present.

5. Barone20

I was told in 2008 it was a $1000+ value and since have been told more. Any info. I also have the original wood s&w box it came in.

6. Keane

Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I just bought one from a gun shop for $800. It didn't come with a wood box, but it DID come with laser grips. Probably 90% or so condition.

7. Barone20

it says
    mod-29
    if thats what u mean by dash the dash between the mod and 29
    anyways was just thinking about selling or trading and wanted a little more info since i was skeptical of what i was told. i always want to make sure before i do something.

8. NCW Ray

NCW Ray Sunny Eastern Washington Active Member

9. Oro

Oro Western WA Active Member

A "dash number" would follow the "29" if there were an engineering revision. So this is just a "Model 29" with no dash after it. Unless this is a rare presentation model for a unique purchase, they did not come with wooden boxes. They shipped then in gold cardboard boxes with the s/n written in grease pencil on the bottom. The wood case is likely a later addition. It has some value in itself, but not to the gun as original I would guess.

To get a value on it would require a few high-resolution photos and very thorough description. I paid $475 at auction for one not long ago in 6.5" bbl length in average condition. If it is in high or "mint" condition, then more. Bbl. length also influences value, less for longer and more for shorter.

10. Barone20

I could email or text pics but I have no pic host. The box has a red velvet lining fitted for the pistol. I was told it was original and sought after. Thanks everyone for the info so far.