JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have an Arsenal Sam7 that is 2-3 years old and last night I took it out of the case and looked it over and found rust around the barrel where the gas block touches as well as a little around the front sight block where the barrel meets, and a touch on the bolt. All of these things are new and I've never had an issue before as well as the gun being fairly well oiled from end to end using Outers gun oil.

Any suggestions for removal and possibly treating my guns for preventing future rust issues?

Thanks ahead of time! :)

Thanks, but unfortunately this is in a seam where two parts come together so simply scrubbing isn't going to fully do it. Hoping for some type of solution that will attack rust without having to actually touch it. I will look in to Remington oil though.

Many manufacturers leave the areas where the barrel and gas block meet bare, as well as the sight block areas. I never quite understood why they wouldn't just parkerize or what not the whole barrel. Some actually coat or treat the gun assembled, so those areas never get treated.

Without removing the block, your best bet would be an oil.

If you want to treat it after wards, I'd say oil to try and remove rust, then soak in a solvent to get all the oil off, then cerakote or spray paint the area. Something like red lock tight around the seams may help too.

I have a gas block on an AR that is pinned in place that started to show signs of rust around its seams. I haven't done anything to it, just knowing it is there helps, and I remember to keep it well lubricated.

I got some Remington oil and it mostly scrubbed right off with a nylon brush. The bolt took some effort and the rough side of a scrubbing pad and the seams are pretty good but I need a slim brush so I can get in there better though but overall it's much better. I think switching to Remington oil or similar is a good idea as I've just been using straight Outers gun oil.

I've found Corrosion-X works best for just about anything gun related. Using it with 0000 Stainless Steel steelwool would be my preference. Regular Steelwool can actually cause more rust because it can become inbedded in the metal. It might also be wise Not to store the rifle in that particular case. Firearms should be stored in a place where the air can get to them but the air needs to be very dry.

The remoil for removing the rust is fine, but *not* for protection, it's bubblegume, only thing it's good for is being thin, thus good for surface rust removal.

I personally recommend something like Seal1, Slip2000 EWL or even Ballistol for protection purposes.

My step brother just switched to Bollistol for penetrating purposes. I'm looking around for something different than just oil and might try it. Never really had a rust issue and it's been rather dry since it was last cleaned this one. I'm hoping to be in a house in the reasonable future but for now I'm a little limited to how to store everything.

Many manufacturers leave the areas where the barrel and gas block meet bare, as well as the sight block areas. I never quite understood why they wouldn't just parkerize or what not the whole barrel. Some actually coat or treat the gun assembled, so those areas never get treated.
Only had one parkerized gun, and it rusted while out in the field. A WTF moment.

Does anyone here remember Naval Jelly ?

Yep, but since I started using the Corrosion-X I've pretty much stopped using it. Naval Jelly is still good for larger things.
Lots of guys popping up with rust questions, makes me have that "fear of God" glance over my shoulder. Think I better go check the safe again, wipe down all my gear with an oily rag. :eek:
I was looking at my dehumidifiers yesterday, everything looked copacetic.
When I had the safe in the house, the dehumidifier would fill up much faster. It's a lot drier in the garage.

Naval jelly is definitely worth a try. Lately I have been using some left over Amsoil synthetic transmission oil. I like it. Gunsmiths also use a blend of Kroil and I forget what else. The main thing is not to store in a case. These are for transport only!

This time of year, garage certainly will be dryer.

I want a new safe :)
Not really related, just got me thinking, next year perhaps.

Naval jelly is definitely worth a try. Lately I have been using some left over Amsoil synthetic transmission oil. I like it. Gunsmiths also use a blend of Kroil and I forget what else. The main thing is not to store in a case. These are for transport only!
I wish I had my safe back, but for now i don't have much choice.

Whew... I must have been channeling Gunny from "Full Metal Jacket".... "This is My rifle, this is My gun..."

My mind went to "Penicillin?" :rolleyes::eek:

Not to mention prison jokes when "naval jelly" was mentioned!! :D

BTW- leaving firearms in a padded-type case (long term) isn't good for them, as you've seen. The padded lining can absorb moisture over time and retain it for prolonged periods, then transfer it to your firearms JUST when you thought they were safe. ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top