JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
'They deserve jail time': Mom of infant accidentally shot at party wants justice

snippet:

"The shooting happened Saturday night at a party involving six adults, marijuana, ecstasy and alcohol, according to the Thurston County Sheriff's Office. Allen, who was at work, learned that one of those people was her 40-year-old neighbor. He has a concealed weapons permit and was carrying a loaded and holstered 9 mm handgun.

The owner removed his firearm to show a tattoo on his leg. He handed the gun to second man who handed it to a third man.

The sheriff's department says that 21-year-old man took the gun out of its holster and started showing it off to the babysitter.

"He was cocking it and stuff and playing with it and pointing it at them," said Allen.

The gun went off and a bullet went through the infant's leg and hit the babysitter. That man accused of accidentally firing the gun was arrested but then later released."

These are the kind of actions , that lead to further laws , bans and restrictions...which in turn , only affects those gun owners , who would never do anything like what happened in the OP in the first place.

I am happy to have read that the baby and babysitter are going to live...and yeah throw the book at those involved.
Andy

I think the CPL holder will lose his CPL over this. I don't know if the CPL holder was impaired, but handing over one's firearm in a situation like this is foolish.

The CPL holder may also face criminal prosecution or civil litigation, or both. Either will likely cost the individual $25K+ in legal fees alone and a possible stint in crowbar hotel.

Moreover, the CPL holder now has the lifetime burden of knowing that an infant was shot due to their irresponsible actions.

To perhaps paraphrase @AndyinEverson 's comments, THINK about what you're doing when you're carrying a weapon. Be responsible. Don't be a chump.

So let's see 40 YOA man removes gun to display a tattoo, hands it off presumably in its holster to a guy who hands it off to a third guy - the 21 YOA who removes it from the holster and begins to 'play' with it, pointing it at others then the ND?
The abject stupidity of all involved is beyond compare - but Mr. 40 YO is the dumbest of all for not maintaining control of his gun.
Also why was there a party taking place while the babysitter was supposed to be watching the baby?

Yea - I hope the 40 YO understands whatever happens to him is solely because of his one, stupid action of handing off the gun.
His CCP, gun and any of his future 'gun rights' may be gone due to the fact he compromised it all by simply not maintaining control of his gun. Heck he is lucky he wasn't the one shot.

what a bunch of morons. lots of problems here...drugs/alcohol dont mix with guns. period. kid never shoulda EVER been put in that position. period. gun shoulda been put away before engaging in such activity. period.

1st thing i do when i hand someone my weapon to check it out is clear it and leave the slide/bolt open.

cant fix stupid.

Lots of stupidity here:

1) CPL holder associating with drug abusers
2) CPL holder attending a party where drug abuse is occurring
3) Parents allowing their infant to be present at drug party
4) CPL holder relinquishing control of firearm
5) Transferee playing with firearm
6) Nobody stopping transferee from playing with firearm
7). Babysitter not removing baby from location where a person was playing with a gun
I will not feel bad if the prosecutor files charges.

lotta good that I-594 did to prevent this one. :rolleyes: 2 illegal transfers in 1 night!

And why isn't the mother being put up on charges for leaving her baby with a bunch of druggies? She endangered her child!

I'm not dismissing the idiot who passed a loaded gun to a random intoxicated person though...If I ever pass a gun to someone else: I make damn sure I remove the magazine and clear the chamber first.

I think the CPL holder will lose his CPL over this. I don't know if the CPL holder was impaired, but handing over one's firearm in a situation like this is foolish.

The CPL holder may also face criminal prosecution or civil litigation, or both. Either will likely cost the individual $25K+ in legal fees alone and a possible stint in crowbar hotel.

Moreover, the CPL holder now has the lifetime burden of knowing that an infant was shot due to their irresponsible actions.

To perhaps paraphrase @AndyinEverson 's comments, THINK about what you're doing when you're carrying a weapon. Be responsible. Don't be a chump.
Yep he might be in trouble .drugs alcohol and he handed over a gun to someone who handed it to someone else.
WHAT NO BACKGROUND CHECKS.
Sounds like a great group of people to hang around .

There is a old saying, the friend of a friend is not my friend.

I use this all the time.

Gonna watch my place while I am out of town? That doesn't mean your kid, buddy, brother ...

The owner let someone hold the gun, when did that mean it was ok to pass it around?

Smiles Shoot Foot.gif ...... Smiles holysheep.gif What else can I say? :rolleyes:....The, "Darwin Awards" will run overtime this year.:eek:

I saw this on the news this morning and figured I'd overslept; into a parallel universe where stupid rules. Very sad. I hope those unfortunate enough to have been there and wounded survive and thrive.

I saw this on the news this morning and figured I'd overslept; into a parallel universe where stupid rules. Very sad. I hope those unfortunate enough to have been there and wounded survive and thrive.
Just think about the girl with the baby.
Mmmmmm she going to work has some one watch her baby .
Probably paying her to watch the baby.
And she takes baby to a house party where there is drugs alcohol and SOME F$-_@_- .
IDIOT THAT HANDS OVER HIS GUN .
SO HE CAN SHOW OFF HIS F$&-$## TATTOO.
AND BABY AND BABYSITTER GET SHOT.
SERIOUSLY.
You can't make this $#!+ Up

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA