JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been there and moved it along. Ruger wanted a .22 to compete with the Heritage cheapos. Well they delivered and the Heritage revolvers even though they're not always pretty to look at are more accurate than the Wrangler. If you want to spend $199 on a cheap .22 so be it. If you can afford it just get a convertible Single Six and call it a day. I did talk to Ruger a few months ago to see if they were correcting the accuracy issues and if they planned on making convertibles and they said no to the extra cylinder and that they were aware of the poor accuracy issues.
Literally the only report I've read on accuracy issues.

Mine shoots great as has those I know with one.

Not knocking the Heritage ones. I'll likely end up with one of those for reasons!

Not knocking the Heritage ones. I'll likely end up with one of those for reasons!
This is also the first I've heard of any accuracy issues. Both mine, and my buddy's are dead on. They're actually more accurate than I expected for a sub $200 revolver. Maybe it's a certain batch with the accuracy issues?

Mine haven't been that bad as far as accuracy. They're not target gun, but my son and I have fun hitting clay targets off the berm at 15 to 20 yards.

I have a Rough Rider too, and I will say that it can be pretty accurate. Individually they are hit-and-miss though. Before the barrel came loose after only a few hundred rounds, it would have a lot of keyhole fliers: a 2" group of 5 at 25 yards, with one oblong hole out in left field. I've heard of this sort of thing a lot with Rough Riders.

Quality on Rough Riders is generally downright shoddy. If you really know revolvers, check one over closely for things like cylinder gap, endshake, timing, lockup, etc.. when mine got back from the factory with a new barrel, it had negative cylinder gap. The cylinder face was riding on the barrel breech, and there was a gap between the cylinder bearing surface and the frame!

I used an endshake bearing for a S&W and that tightened it up, but it flat out embarrassing that something like that would ever be sent out. When I compare it to the Ruger Wrangler, at least the Wrangler is made more like a real gun. I also wouldn't count on a Rough Rider to hold up. A good friend of mine has one that he's quite a bit over the years, and it's completely worn out, rattling and out of time.

Again, plenty of them work and work well, despite the quality issue. Lots of people love them, and if you've got a good one I can see why. I do like the looks of some of the interesting variations they make.

A little back story. While in danger noodle country during the warm months I always carry my Single Six New Model loaded with shot shells. The smaller Wrangler pistol intrigued me and I decided to give my Single Six a break. My first experience out of the box with CCI Standard Velocity I was hitting 2"+ left at 15 yards. I tried other ammo and then my cousin ran it in his home made machine rest and that only tightened up the group that was still impacting left. I patterned some shot shells at 15' and was satisfied with those results however I ended up sending the Wrangler into to Ruger and they replaced it. At that point I was just over it and sold the new replacement. I'll stick with my trusty Single Six from now on. Glad to see guys here are enjoying their Wranglers. When it comes to the Rough Rider and Wrangler I've been there done that and really don't have any intentions on ever going back now.

Last Edited:
I'd take a Single Six over a Wrangler any day, of course, but the Wrangler has been a fun range gun for my kids and I. We ended up with three of them.

A little back story. While in danger noodle country during the warm months I always carry my Single Six New Model loaded with shot shells. The smaller Wrangler pistol intrigued me and I decided to give my Single Six a break. My first experience out of the box with CCI Standard Velocity I was hitting 2"+ left at 15 yards. I tried other ammo and then my cousin ran it in his home made machine rest and that only tightened up the group that was still impacting left. I patterned some shot shells at 15' and was satisfied with those results however I ended up sending the Wrangler into to Ruger and they replaced it. At this point I was just over it and sold the new replacement. I'll stick with my trusty Single Six from now on. Glad to see guys here are enjoying their Wranglers. When it comes to the Rough Rider and Wrangler I've been there done that and really don't have any intentions on ever going back now.
Single Six is definitely a much more refined pistol. I'd love to have one.

it seems we all agree that the single six is a swankier pistola for sure

it does seem as if that swankiness will cost 2 to 5 times more than a wrangler.

under two hundo? heck, I'll take two. and not feel bad if/when it gets dropped or scratched.

the single six, I'd want to be more careful with. not necessarily my style or ability

and not feel bad if/when it gets dropped or scratched.
the single six, I'd want to be more careful with.
How about treating your firearms equally (no matter the value) and not waste the time on deciding which one of your guns gets the kid gloves. It's like me saying I'm not going to buy the CTS-V because I have a 79 Coupe Deville that can eat wayward shopping carts and take the door dings. Heck I'd still daily the 79 and park it out in no mans land.

see now… you lost me right away.

in my world, the vintage CdV is the sweet ride.

CTS-V…. whatever.

D5F8563C-17F5-4711-8CC7-0C7E002E7E86.jpeg

I took a moment to compare all of the parts between the vaquero (in 357) and the wrangler. More parts are interchangeable than I had originally thought.

But first, the grip frames:

F43A5DAD-6713-44B3-A346-B0CD5C658908.jpeg

Slightly different shapes mean the grip panels are not swappable.

Interestingly, the hammer strut is the same and the hammer springs almost the exact same size. I've been using a Vaq hammer spring in my wrangler for months now and have experienced no negative affect.

1BBE4132-AAED-47FF-9A9E-BD7280A2FBC6.jpeg

90B45607-DDE4-4C0D-B27E-B5394C161954.jpeg

The frames are very similar, though different in size (obviously):

FF386BEE-6107-4876-A51C-54A3D850B8D8.jpeg

All the small parts are near identical:

F0C3CE77-92F2-4D32-A117-C75B660DA884.jpeg

996E87E9-F2C3-46D7-93AB-D3DC4886E705.jpeg

9CA8DC12-21C8-436A-9670-ECBAF72BAE51.jpeg

5FBE901D-609A-4841-A81E-4871C564CCB3.jpeg

46A190C0-A290-47C8-93A9-6819457BFA0F.jpeg

90F3D79B-EB88-4506-A31F-906279AF758C.jpeg

I found that the triggers are swappable and have been running the gold Vaq trigger in my Wrangler.

6DEB6EEF-F30F-4ACF-A753-6F7F4354F1BA.jpeg

Stacked triggers:

40DB9B18-1983-4764-B3BA-7EC3D8251C4F.jpeg

Wrangler trigger and hammer:

EA05AC48-53FB-416A-B53A-2410BA033B55.jpeg

5E84380A-4AF9-4AD2-B337-25D4F3895380.jpeg

Vaq trigger with Wrangler hammer:

9DBDC102-1D77-45B8-9D1C-ED38AB6EF93F.jpeg

A3E4D7EC-B3B8-4F41-84EC-F39121A67EB0.jpeg

Vaq trigger with Vaq hammer:

6F0A86D5-CDF1-402A-AB0C-1361E72790B3.jpeg

Wrangler trigger with Vaq hammer:

8B149BAF-AE2F-4508-8EFC-D753279EF04D.jpeg

Trigger comparing shape:

4B4CC3BA-089D-4828-8959-D88C6A384CBC.jpeg

Most interestingly, the screw holes all line up perfectly so that it would be possible to use the Vaq grip frame on the Wrangler. Polished with edges aligned? Absolutely not. But, workable.

81C00746-1F35-4FE5-BD2C-CFD779466AED.jpeg

The Wrangler clearly isn't for everyone. It's a budget firearm that's very serviceable, a good value for the price. If you like nice things, and can afford them, then you probably won't want or appreciate budget guns. To each their own. Even the Rough Rider is a good value for the money, so long as you get a good one.

There are some pretty cheap budget hunting rifles nowadays. Three hundred bucks will get you a plastic stocked, gritty, bolt action with a cheap scope. It will be a very usable, surprisingly accurate hunting rifle, but certainly won't compare to a nice vintage Model 700, or Winchester 70. I've looked at a few budget rifles like that, that sure look to be a great value for the money, but since I already have several far nicer hunting rifles (and don't even hunt) I really have no interest whatsoever in those guns. I can't fault those who do though.

1640902100559.jpeg 1640902135887.jpeg

Well, I tried fanning the hammer- didn't accomplish anything at all. Then I tried hammering the fan- just broke the fan. To be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing at all.

View attachment 1097758View attachment 1097759

Well, I tried fanning the hammer- didn't accomplish anything at all. Then I tried hammering the fan- just broke the fan. To be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing at all.

I fanned 'em good.

Now what?

View attachment 1097817
Hey…. What sound does poop make when you throw it through a fan?

MARINE!!!

(sorry… little Army humor there)

Ok, OK….. what sound does it make when you throw a wrangler trigger and hammer through a fan?

Rattle-rattle, clunk, sproing, blam, thud, PING!

Thank you, and good night!

:s0108::s0030:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR