JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am saving for my next gun. I have decided on a Ruger sp101 in 3" or 4". I'm leaning towards the 3" cause I could cc it but really I just want a smaller revolver for when I'm working on my dad's farm and when I'm hiking in the woods scouting for deer and elk this summer/fall. So I figured I would ask for y'all's input on which one. With the 4" I'm afraid the FO would come out after shooting 357 mag all day but I like the rear sight.
I got other 6 shot revolvers but K and L frames are in 6". What are your thoughts. Thanks

79104.jpg
70241.jpg

My 329 is 4''. It's what I carry when hunting.
Mostly it's light. But the fact it's short is nice to.

You give up some velocity with a four inch tube. And maybe you plan to shoot something 75-100 yds out?
If so go 6'' and put up with the extra size. But if it's just for close work get the 4''.

Last Edited:
FWIW, I've been carrying the 3" version for a number of years now, mostly in a Ted Blocker IWB holster. Put some Crimson Trace Laser sights on it a few years ago. The fixed sights were set correctly from the factory and hit pretty much spot on at 25 yards with full house 158gr loads. There's a lot of buck and snort but I doubt there's much difference between the two barrel lengths in that regard. If you were going to shoot at longer distances or shoot a variety of different loads I could see the utility of adjustable sights. For sub 30 yard shooting I don't think you need them. Guess you have to decide how big a factor concealment is going to be for you.

FWIW, I've been carrying the 3" version for a number of years now, mostly in a Ted Blocker IWB holster. Put some Crimson Trace Laser sights on it a few years ago. The fixed sights were set correctly from the factory and hit pretty much spot on at 25 yards with full house 158gr loads. There's a lot of buck and snort but I doubt there's much difference between the two barrel lengths in that regard. If you were going to shoot at longer distances or shoot a variety of different loads I could see the utility of adjustable sights. For sub 30 yard shooting I don't think you need them. Guess you have to decide how big a factor concealment is going to be for you.
I regularly carry my m&p9c. But when I started out I had a 2" sp101 that I foolishly let go cause it was 'too heavy' but since then I have learned a lot about holsters and gun belts. I can carry a full size 1911 now with no worry about weight if I wanted to.
So I won't be carrying it all the time but some days I just feel like carrying a revolver.

I think you'll like the 3" SP101. I have a little S&W 640 that rides around in my pocket. Very handy.

For banging around on the farm (though I don't 'bang around' much anymore) I have a 5" GP100. For me, that barrel length gives it great balance. And with the right ammo, it's a good hunting gun.

We've got a 3" SP101, had it for over 20 years. It's a great revolver. I would say though that shooting .357 out of it is something I prefer to do in short spurts. It's certainly doable, but kicks substantially harder than a GP100. I imagine the 4" model would help just a bit, just something to be aware of. Great revolver though.

I've got an SP101 3" in 38 special. It's loud and kicks like hillary after a bean eating contest. Its only redeeming quality (all things being equal) is that if you run through your five rounds (woo-hoo!) and didn't hit anything you can swing the thing around your head with a piece of paracord and still have the same maximum effective range.

I'm sure that this wasn't helpful.
Cheers.

In a heart beat I'd go with a SP 3" inch for CC and woods carry. I would not worry about recoil for woods carry. The 3" is sweet. If you were wanting for woods carry primary then I'd go with 4" for a lite gun, but I have carried a 6" gp 100 in an excellent holster and that is just super and accurate. I have hit milk jugs at 100 years with the 6". For hiking and woods defense the 3" is just perfect. Chances of you encounter a nasty bear are near zero. Also, you could consider a top quality 40 caliber as well. But the sp 101 is super sweet. Also, a swith wesson model 60 will work as well in 357 but I use that as a primary 38 plus p carry gun. It is liter than the sp 101.

A 3" is way easier to carry concealed than a 4".. they are the same in practical accuracy.. either should be about 2" at 25 yards. And 200fps more with another inch?. I think that's stretching it pretty far..

Im most likely going to get the 3" cause I can do more with it. If i got the 4" I wouldn't even try to carry it concealed. And tkdguy im not worried some much about bears as much as cats.

Im most likely going to get the 3" cause I can do more with it. If i got the 4" I wouldn't even try to carry it concealed. And tkdguy im not worried some much about bears as much as cats.

NO problem with cats with the 3" 357. I ran into one that was working out at Gold's gym--lean and ripped world class muscle machine. Maybe 6 feet head to tail. I was sitting on the ground against a tree with my 10 year old son who whispered "kitty". As I reached for my 20 guage shot gun, simply my movement caused him to do an about face in a tornado-like spin and head for the river canyon.

The only other item I would consider with this piece would be 2 footed criminal types--and they are back in the woods--especially grass growers. I do not know where you are hiking or exploring, but that is a consideration. Or, simply carry 2-3 speed loaders--one in 357 for survival issues and the other in 38 plus p as backup for 2 footed felons.