JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

DAO OR Single/Double?

• Total voters
Reactions
Im going to buy a Ruger SP101 2 1/4inch barrel and im undecided if I should get the DAO or Single/Double. Some concerns I have is that my wife enjoys to shoot with me and she likes the single double but claims it really doesnt matter. Now for my needs, this will be my everyday carry gun therefore im getting mine with the CT on it. This will be worn ITW so im thinking DAO might be the way to go. Im also concerned about the legal aspect for concealment carry as if GOD forbid if i had to defend myself with deadly force, will having a single/ double be an issue? The reason I ask about this is I have read stories that people had their hammer cocked in single action and that caused a bunch of legal issues in court. Anybody have any thoughts and or opinions. Thanks for your time.

I like the option of cocking the hammer for better trigger response when a more precise shot is called for.

The main reason for going hammerless is to make sure the hammer doesn't hang up on your cloths during the draw. I think with proper practice you should be able to present without snagging.

I also like the classic look of the hammer.

I like the option of cocking the hammer for better trigger response when a more precise shot is called for.

The main reason for going hammerless is to make sure the hammer doesn't hang up on your cloths during the draw. I think with proper practice you should be able to present without snagging.

I also like the classic look of the hammer.

+1 When I had Gemini Customs work on my SP101 I had them leave the SA/DA hammer even though most of their customers go with the DAO option according to Mark Morganti. I just wanted the option.

The reason I ask about this is I have read stories that people had their hammer cocked in single action and that caused a bunch of legal issues in court.

That's an interesting statement. Care to elaborate?

I've carried the hammerless model for over sixteen years and it's served me well. If I were to do it over again though I would go with the exposed hammer model. The reason I would do so is because the hammer allows me the option to use different styles of holsters for different situations and still keep the revolver securely in place; whether running, jumping or in a fight.

I would prefer double/single action. But its nice to have the hammerless for concealed carry because it has a heavier trigger pull and no hammer to get caught on clothes.

After shooting my brother hammerless airlight revolver I personally hate the double action only revolver it had too heavy of a trigger. If I need precision that single action is nice to have.

The reason I ask about this is I have read stories that people had their hammer cocked in single action and that caused a bunch of legal issues in court.

That's an interesting statement. Care to elaborate?[/QUOTE]

It was an article by Massad Ayoob in the HANDGUNS 2010 ANNUAL, Court issues and armed citizen self-defense. He stated within this article that using a "hair trigger" is not recommended. He goes on writing how two police officers who were involved in fatal shootings using a S&W .38 special. He goes on to explain each of their situation, one being Crown v. Alan Gosset where the gun became unintentionally cocked and accidentally discharged in a high stress moment which killed the escaping prisoner who the officer was holding at gunpoint. He was convicted of manslaughter in the first trial and acquitted in the second trial. The other was Florida v. Luis Alvarez. The court concocted a "cocked-gun accident" it took eight weeks to have the officer acquitted. As a civilian the odds wont be in my favor as if i was an officer. Feel free to read the article I thought it was a very good article that all law abiding citizens who carry should read.

I have a DAO version of this gun, and have shot the DA/SA hammered model.

The DAO has a nicer DA trigger from the factory, but obviously, you can't cock it. I'm happy with my decision, and I figure with a ~2" barrel, you probably aren't going to be squeezing off many long distance single action shots.

It was an article by Massad Ayoob in the HANDGUNS 2010 ANNUAL, Court issues and armed citizen self-defense. He stated within this article that using a "hair trigger" is not recommended. He goes on writing how two police officers who were involved in fatal shootings using a S&W .38 special. He goes on to explain each of their situation, one being Crown v. Alan Gosset where the gun became unintentionally cocked and accidentally discharged in a high stress moment which killed the escaping prisoner who the officer was holding at gunpoint. He was convicted of manslaughter in the first trial and acquitted in the second trial. The other was Florida v. Luis Alvarez. The court concocted a "cocked-gun accident" it took eight weeks to have the officer acquitted. As a civilian the odds wont be in my favor as if i was an officer. Feel free to read the article I thought it was a very good article that all law abiding citizens who carry should read.

So if I get this right. The two officers both accidentally shot their victims? They accidentally cocked, then accidentally fired their weapon's? Sounds to me like they should have gone to jail for manslaughter with a stupidity enhancement charge. I can't tell you how many ways that bothers me that LEO's could be so inept. Maybe you should get a 22 lr with a DOA trigger set at about 20#. No body would be able to say your out looking for a kill!

That being said,I have both ruger sp101's. The DAO is nice because you can stick it in and retrieve from a pocket easily.It is a very good close range weapon, and is not a lot of fun to plink with.The hammer SA/DA is more fun to shoot and more accurate but is not as easy to pull out of your pocket, although from a holster would be better I think. The hammer less SAO can be fired while still in your coat pocket as there are no external parts moving about.
I carry both depending on the conditions but tend to carry the DOA hammer less, more for CC.

:s0155:

I have never seen the point of having an exposed hammer on a 2" snub. Its not a target gun, its a close-range concealed carry weapon with minimal sights. You dont need the hammer to secure the gun in a holster if you use one with a retention screw; and in a gunfight you arent going to have the time or manual dexterity to be able to thumb-cock it anyway. The hammer serves no purpose but to snag on clothing when you are trying to draw.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top