JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought used, cleaned and lubed it and it looked like new inside and out.

Fired 50 PMC Bronze 380 FMJ and had 4 fail to eject fully/stovepipes.
After 1st one I was careful not to limpwrist the little gun and it still happened.

Took it apart and cleaned it and saw nothing wrong. Even accidently had the inner Spring the right way on the guide rod with the wide end pointing towards the muzzle.

Crap Ammo? I'm gonna try some other brand soon. Might take it out tomorrow.

Not broke in?

The gun was dirty but not a scratch on it anywhere. I'm thinking the previous owner fired a box through it and put it away in a safe for a few years.

Hope it's not a lemon because I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was even with the small grip. Was planning on carrying this daily.

Anybody else have problems with their LCP not fully ejecting?

All I have to say that may or may not be useful, is that whenever I aquire a used pistol, replacing the recoil and mag spring is sop.
I'm no gunsmith but wouldn't a weak recoil spring cause feeding issues.
LOL I have been manually ejecting a spent shell over and over again and a bit of my flesh just got caught in the slide! OUCH!

I'm no gunsmith but wouldn't a weak recoil spring cause feeding issues.

Yeah pretty sure, but you already mentioned trying better ammo (not underpowered), and you said everything looks good internally, (I assume including the extractor), and you said you cleaned and lubed it so carbon buildup isn't the issue, so it sounds like you have all the usual suspects covered so yes all I had to add is to replace springs that shouldn't have anything to do with the issue lol. :p:p

The extractor is working well in slow motion manually cycling it. It does hang up in the chamber after release if I don't forcefully pull back the slide though.

Maybe it is weak ammo. Wish I wasn't so cheap/poor at the moment and had picked up a box of something else to test it out with in addition to the PMC but I've had great luck with it in other calibers.

Oh well, now I have an excuse to go out again.

PMC works great in mine.
PMC, Winchester, Remington, hornady, tulammo all worked perfectly in the two that I own.
Only issue ever was with some federal hollow point ammo not loading. To big of a hollow point and would hang up. The hornady critical defence works flawlessly.

PMC works great in mine.
PMC, Winchester, Remington, hornady, tulammo all worked perfectly in the two that I own.
Only issue ever was with some federal hollow point ammo not loading. To big of a hollow point and would hang up. The hornady critical defence works flawlessly.
Were you the 1st owner and did you have to break it/them in or did it function flawlessly from day 1?

Newbie, you've been around a while so I'll assume you are probably a competent shooter. Is there a chance you are limp wristing the pistol due to it's size?
I thought so at first, I was trying one handed when it first occurred so then I put a real effort into a standard two handed grip and it still happened.
If it is prone to failure with limp wristing It's not a gun I want to depend on anyway. In a stressful defense situation I want the gun to work even if I fail with my grip.
Seems to be raining, might pick up some different ammo but won't shoot today.

Anybody know of ammo I should avoid in this gun as funds are low at the moment?

I also have no use of any gun that limp-wristing is an accepted rationalization of why the gun doesn't operate correctly.

My take on your gun...I've had some guns, including plastic Rugers that required a little break-in. When I break them in, I use the heaviest load and/or heaviest bullet I can buy in that cartridge without entering the +P range, unless the gun is rated for +P. I also make sure all traces of the factory KY Jelly is removed from the gun. If after 3 or 4 boxes, I cannot make the gun function, it's no longer acceptable, and I'll return it to the manufacturer. Ruger is very good about providing pre-paid mailing labels if you ask them nicely.

WAYNO.

Is the extractor chipped or worn?
It looks unworn with sharp even edges. It also extracts every time all the way back to the whatever you call it part that pushes it out. That part is also part of the hold open pin.

Can't wait to run another box or two of ammo through her and see if this problem is the ammo or the damned thing needed breaking in that the previous owner never got around to.

If not I may give up on it.

Bought used, cleaned and lubed it and it looked like new inside and out.

Fired 50 PMC Bronze 380 FMJ and had 4 fail to eject fully/stovepipes.
After 1st one I was careful not to limpwrist the little gun and it still happened.

Took it apart and cleaned it and saw nothing wrong. Even accidently had the inner Spring the right way on the guide rod with the wide end pointing towards the muzzle.

Crap Ammo? I'm gonna try some other brand soon. Might take it out tomorrow.

Not broke in?

The gun was dirty but not a scratch on it anywhere. I'm thinking the previous owner fired a box through it and put it away in a safe for a few years.

Hope it's not a lemon because I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was even with the small grip. Was planning on carrying this daily.

Anybody else have problems with their LCP not fully ejecting?
.380 PMC is low powered ammo. Our Glock 42 needs ammo with at least 185ft/bs of muzzle energy to function and does the same thing as yours when we shoot PMC. Try Hornady Critical Defense and I bet you have no problemo.

@OLDNEWBIE

I don't know you so please don't take this personal.

It is a small gun, therefore grip might be the issue.

I suggest some kind of enhancement - like skateboard tape - cheap and can easily be removed.
Even self-stick sandpaper can be used as a test.

2nd - watch your thumbs- riding along the slide can slow it down just enough.
Over accentuate holding them away from the slide.

When you shoot the gun rotates, thumb hits / rides slide, or simply the rotation is just enough to keep it from cycling as required. Limp wristing also leads to the gun rotating too much, the symptoms are similar.

Since you mentioned it is for carry, I use Hornady Critical Defense (but not Critical Duty)
in my carry pistol.

I used to have a small pistol that I just couldn't keep my finger from hitting the magazine release and that click is a very loud sound for a gun you need to bet your life on. I sold that one and bought a different small pistol.

Good luck. Hope you get this dialed in.