JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've found some of these need to have about 600 rounds of very good ammo run thru them before they function 100%..Well lubed during break in!

And any hint of a lightly limp grip and a stovepipe will occur.

Manually cycling the slide to check function is fine. But will not tell you much.
The extractor could be hanging up a tad and slowing it all down. I put blue machinist layout dye on a few cases and all over the extractor and see where it is hitting the case, and inspect the marks its leaving on the brass. And adjust it as needed...

UDATE!
Shot 50 Fiocchi 95 grs FMJ flawlessly through the gun. Recoil was SIGNIFIGANTLY more than the PMC BRONZE. Kinda uncomfortable towards the end of the box.

Next I shot 20 Sig V-Crown JHP Elite Performance Rounds. Maybe not quite the recoil as the Fiocchi but still more than the PMC.

One failure to fully feed and one pesky stovepipe at the end of a mag:mad:
I could blame this stovepipe on me being kinda wet and cold out in the woods today.
I was shaking/ shivering quite a bit and my hand was getting fatigued from shooting the box of Fiocchi. Still I don't trust a gun that you can't limp wrist.

I shot all these rounds as fast as I could load them as I was in a hurry to get somewhere else. Perhaps the gun was heating up and getting dirty as well. These aren't all day range guns I guess and if the problem was powder residue or heat then that's not a deal breaker for what the guns purpose is. Easy carry Self Defense, maybe two mags max. Not all day combat.

Accuracy? o_O I hit the 8" gong every so often at maybe 25 feet Always to the right. I'll get better with that trigger I'm sure.

If the previous owner shot a minimum of 50 and I now have shot 120 that means it has a little more breaking in to go as some guns tend to need.

Anyway I trust the gun with the FMJ FIOCCHI and will look for a defense round that it likes.
I guess I'll polish the feed ramp and try the hollow points first as well.

upload_2015-12-28_16-36-39.png

Good news :)
Does the Fiocchi box show any specs for Ft/Lbs at the muzzle?

Edit...I found it:
Fiocchi 380 ACP 95 Grain Full Metal Jacket Muzzle Energy: 215 ft lbs
Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 380 ACP 90 Grain Flex Tip: 200 ft lbs.
PMC 380 Auto - 90 Grain FMJ Muzzle Energy: 185 ft lbs.

Last Edited:
Good news :)
Does the Fiocchi box show any specs for Ft/Lbs at the muzzle?

Edit...I found it:
Fiocchi 380 ACP 95 Grain Full Metal Jacket Muzzle Energy: 215 ft lbs
Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 380 ACP 90 Grain Flex Tip: 200 ft lbs.
PMC 380 Auto - 90 Grain FMJ Muzzle Energy: 185 ft lbs.

Quite a bit of diff in the hand as well! I'll sleep easier knowing my gun isn't a total dud. Maybe after a few hundred rounds I'll try the PMC again and see if it functions better with the weaker ammo.
I'm wondering now if the previous owner replaced the Springs with stiffer aftermarket Springs?
That might account for weaker PMC stovepiping. I'm used to it now but racking the slide is difficult.

I tell my wife she should keep practicing with the PMC since it's going to FTF/FTE and she'll get used to clearing the thing if it ever happens in an emergency. She carries the Hornady Critical Defense tho.

I looked it up and the Sig V-Crown JHP Elite muzzle energy was only 192 ft lbs.
one out of 20 failed to eject on that one.

I'll try the Hornady Critical Defense next.

In my LCP, I've had Tulammo be a problem. I had one that the bullet was inserted crooked into the case and left a weird ridge on the case. It would not load into the chamber so I showed to my buddy that reloads, and he showed me how it was crooked. I probably wont buy Tulammo again for this one.
Barnes TacXPD has worked flawlessly so far.
Another thought, mine is a Stainless slide, and it weighs less than the standard model. Since it is lighter I wonder if that has some impact on the recoil and the slides ability to use momentum to extract a case and rechamber a round?
Oh, PMC is unimpressive, the kids kept getting it jammed from limp-wrist, the good stuff hurt their hands.
Accuracy: 25-35 feet is dead on, out of the box w/ open sights.

I ran some ( a box of 50 ) Herters

<broken link removed>

Thru my Shield. Got my first double feed. And I had several, failure to lock back the slide when empty.

Don't think I'll buy another.

I have a LCP custom, ( the one with the red trigger) and it has ran like a champ since brand new. I have shot about 400 rounds of all kinds of ammo, and never had an issue. My Glock 42 on the other hand took a couple of hundred rounds through the pipe before it would run at the point that I would feel comfortable carrying it.

My weak little brain must of kind of skipped over this! Yeah, if it's comfortable the round is too weak, for sure!:)
Yeah, the only other .380 I've fired was a Bersa a workmate of mine had. I was surprised by the kick that had. Not sure what brand ammo. When I first tried my LCP I expected some decent recoil at least equal to the Bersa and I didn't get it. Weak bubblegum ammo.

Limp wristing. Shooting one handed, turning the gun on its side. Watch his wrist rotate when he shoots. Like our friend above, I've got two LCP Customs that run like tops. Same goes for my Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle. Then again, the recoil on very light small pistols like the LCP, even with lower powered ammo, can be stiff, so any tendency to limp wrist the pistol only exacerbates the likelihood of a jam. When someone says "All 380s jam" or "All 380s suck", it probably means when he shoots them the wrong way. Every gun has limitations you have to keep in mind when shooting it.​

Of which I have two, a new but no-lock S&W 442 airweight and and a pristine condition 1961-produced all steel Model 36. I have the original grips for the latter but switched the out for an Altamont grip that makes it very pleasant to shoot. Both of them go bang every single time and are a dream to carry and conceal.

61A74D9A-2DB4-4373-9E7C-CDA02C617707_zpscpddvtlb.jpg

Thankfully my LCP has been flawless since day one with all ammo, I bought it new. This is my back-up carry piece when I don't want to strap in my IWB. I put the LCP in a hunter holster in my pocket.

I practice one hand from 20 yards, I don't use the sights - I point and shoot - no real groupings but all 7 in the 9/10 ring.

I even have a couple of boxes of PMC Bronze which have been ran through this without a hickup. WWBD, AE, Fiochi, Remington and Hornady are the brands of ammo I have shot through this thing, no problems.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense - which tends to expand reliability and consistently even with denim to about .55" and penetrates about 13.5" of ballistic gel.

Perhaps the tolerances on your LCP are a bit tight so you need the velocity. I would be a little dismayed if I had the stovepipes you have described - I know you are not the original purchaser but call Ruger and see what they say.

Let them know the issues you are having and if they have any recommendations?