JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so a couple weeks ago I took delivery on my Ruger P95 9mm, was so excited to get it out to the range and get some rounds through it.
Bought it brand new from cabelas in Idaho where it was inspected before I payed for it and was also inspected in Spokane where I actually Picked it up
from since I was not a Idaho resident.

Get it home clean it get all the packing grease out of it and then properly lube the pistol get to the range and right from the git-go I start having issues, the extractor was extra stiff or something because it would not let me load a round without some difficulty with the first round. get two rounds through it then I have a failure to extract, clear the gun check to make sure I didn't have any damage, rack another round into the chamber get three more rounds through it then a failure to feed... long story short I put 4 mags through it (60 rounds) with 13 failure to feeds or extracts.

Im completely dumbfounded as what the issue is, am I using to light of a load and that's not allowing the slide to fully slide back extracting the round or pushing the new round into the chamber or would there be a possibility that the extractor is way to stiff and that's causing issues. the ammo I was using was some off the shelf rounds nothing special but not reloads. I made sure I was using proper technique so I know I was not limp wristing it. Should I get some heavier loads and see if it is the fact I was using some lighter loads or do you recommend I send it to ruger to be inspected???

It's difficult to diagnose a problem without actually seeing and experiencing the gun, but...

I've experienced many times, new guns that had difficulties. When these newer guns would not function with 115 grain ball ammo, when I switched to 124 grain or even 147 grain, they would operate successfully. Then, after a box or two of this heavier stuff, it loosened things up enough to correctly function with lighter loads. Give it a try before you throw in the towel.

In the unlikely event that your gun does not correct itself after a break-in period, Ruger is very good about making things right, including paying shipping both ways.

WAYNO.

Make sure you have a solid grip. I've seen a lot of P series Ruger's returned that were simply being limp wristed. For some reason, it seems easier to do with brand new Rugers. Just a thought, no insult meant to your shooting abilities...

None taken at all, I appreciate all the feedback I'm gunna try to get out this weekend get some heavier loads maybe take a friend out and let someone else shoot it to see if it is something simple like shooter error

Ok so I had some time this weekend and was able to get some more rounds through my ruger, as advised above I got some heavier loads and put tem through it and I was having the same issues again.. Between 4 mags (60rounds) I had 9 failure to feeds and 7 failure to eject... I had gone through and cleaned the gun extensively before shooting so it wasn't gunked up at all... One thing I noticed was some times the slide was not fully loading the next round into the chamber like there wasn't enough pressure pushing forward my thoughts are that the spring might be to stiff and the pressure of the rounds aren't allowing the slide to go through a full cycle, could this cause the issues I'm having?? Any feed back would be great

I doubt limpwristing alone would cause as many malfunctions as you've had in so few rounds, so I suspect an issue with the gun itself. Ruger has a really good customer service policy so you might want to send it back to the factory and have them work on it. Being new it should be no cost to you.

Keith

have not contacted ruger, I'm in the middle of studying for finals and just not found the time to call them... I'll be contacting them either this weekend or Monday before class and I'll let you know what I find out.

Saw this thread and read it with interest. The P95 is the only weapon I've ever experienced that functioned and/or failed depending upon my grip and posture.

My buddy with the gun found it 100% reliable. I did too - as long as I fired it from an aggressive isosceles stance. When I tried weaver and weak-hand, it consistently failed to cycle new rounds. Back to strong stance and it was 100% again. We both repeated several times with identical results. He knows how to hold that particular pistol if he doesn't want it to fail.

I cannot speculate on what might happen under similar circumstances with with different types of ammo. Sorry, I don't remember what we were shooting.

This prompted me to evaluate my own semi-auto pistols in various calibers for "limp-wristing" vs. "strong arming." I'm relieved that they all function 100% no matter how I shoot them.

The first pistol I bought was P95 as well,the problems I had were double feed's,and that was with winchester white box.For some reason it didn't like it so I switched to umc and problem solved.That is my experience with the p95.Good luck to ya.

I've had a P89 for 17 years with approximately 12,000 through it. I can't think of any failure I've had. The 95 is slightly different. Maybe Ruger has had some QC issues?

Saw this thread and read it with interest. The P95 is the only weapon I've ever experienced that functioned and/or failed depending upon my grip and posture.

My buddy with the gun found it 100% reliable. I did too - as long as I fired it from an aggressive isosceles stance. When I tried weaver and weak-hand, it consistently failed to cycle new rounds. Back to strong stance and it was 100% again. We both repeated several times with identical results. He knows how to hold that particular pistol if he doesn't want it to fail.

I cannot speculate on what might happen under similar circumstances with with different types of ammo. Sorry, I don't remember what we were shooting.

This prompted me to evaluate my own semi-auto pistols in various calibers for "limp-wristing" vs. "strong arming." I'm relieved that they all function 100% no matter how I shoot them.

I tried switching up my grip and posture as you are stating and nothing has seemed to work, I've switched ammo, gone to a heavier grain and everything and cant get the kinks worked out.

Make sure you have a solid grip. I've seen a lot of P series Ruger's returned that were simply being limp wristed. For some reason, it seems easier to do with brand new Rugers. Just a thought, no insult meant to your shooting abilities...

KelTec had a problems with their P-40. when fired at the factory they functioned fine, the only explanation was "limp wristing". I've never had a problem with my P-40 even with the .357 SIG barrel in it.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews