JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not exactly a build, but this is the most customization I've ever done to a bolt gun, so I figured I'd show it off.

Picked up a RAP in 6.5 CM
Boyds Platinum stock w cheek riser in pepper
Warne steel 20 MOA base
Put a Harris notch leg swivel bipod
Topped with Vortex pro rings and Vortex Viper PST 4-16

I also bedded the V blocks in Devcon

20170929_133646.jpg

Kind of alot of scratch in to it for a RAP, but I enjoy it.

Also curious if anyone has tried to inlet their own stocks for the PTG Ruger American bottom metal?

Ruger American Short Action (SA) Detach Mag Bottom Metal - Pacific Tool and Gauge

Should be a shooter:)

How was the stock fit to the action? I'm thinking seriously of doing my own "build" using a Boyd's stock, but around a Howa 1500 barreled action, and I'm curious as to how much final fitting was needed. Thanks.

Dave

How was the stock fit to the action? I'm thinking seriously of doing my own "build" using a Boyd's stock, but around a Howa 1500 barreled action, and I'm curious as to how much final fitting was needed. Thanks.

Dave

The only issue was a slight amount of warping of the forend to the right so the edge of the barrel channel contacted the left side of the barrel. I considered straightening it in a clamp, then epoxying in a steel rod to hold it straight but ended up just sanding off a few thousands of the left side.

Other than that, good to go.

The only issue was a slight amount of warping of the forend to the right so the edge of the barrel channel contacted the left side of the barrel. I considered straightening it in a clamp, then epoxying in a steel rod to hold it straight but ended up just sanding off a few thousands of the left side.

Other than that, good to go.

Thanks for the info, nice looking rifle BTW. Later.

Dave

Yeah the notches are pre cut out and Boyds sends new blocks with the stock. They just slip right in the notches, so they recommend bedding them.

I used black Devcon, which worked great. I didn't really know what I was doing, so I just spread it all over the blocks as thick as I could, filling all the dead spaces. I used Vaseline as a release agent on the bottom of the receiver and the mounting screws. I ended up having to sand a couple spots where it oozed where it wasn't supposed to. All in all, it was pretty straightforward and turned out good.

I'm not sure what it weighs in at, I can throw it on a scale tomorrow.

I sighted it in with some factory ELDs. Im looking to do some load development, hopefully this weekend. I bought a few hundred 143 grn ELDXs. I just need to pick up some RL17 or maybe some H4350. I haven't decided.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top