JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The last, newest Ruger rifle I had wore the matte blued finish. I didn't try to test it for corrosion and treated it like a gloss blued rifle. After dealing with a couple of wet hunting seasons, I believe if I had neglected it there would have been rust issues. As it was I had small spots of rust pop up in the corners.
I'd say to not be shy with the gun oil.

Mine looked like it was parkerized, but....
It's can't be. It's way too thin and rubs off like a paint.

That barrel will be my first cerakote project.

I generally dislike barrel nut installed rifles (i.e. savage, Ruger American). They work, but are ugly as sin. That being said, it takes very little effort for a properly equipped gunsmith to spin that barrel off, mount it between centers on their lathe and turn that diameter down a bit. And then all that is needed for reinstallation is headspace gauges.

It's less of a job than it would be doing the same thing on a rem700 or the like.

I generally dislike barrel nut installed rifles (i.e. savage, Ruger American). They work, but are ugly as sin. That being said, it takes very little effort for a properly equipped gunsmith to spin that barrel off, mount it between centers on their lathe and turn that diameter down a bit. And then all that is needed for reinstallation is headspace gauges.

It's less of a job than it would be doing the same thing on a rem700 or the like.

The RAR looks okay, not beautiful but functional, and it is light and compact, so...

I agree, it would not take much to turn it down, and if I want it treated with something more corrosion resistant, it might be best to take the barrel off the receiver anyway. Plus the fact that I want a front sight on it (preferably one with a barrel band, fiber optic and some kind of protection for the sight itself).

The goal is a light compact reasonably accurate Scout rifle in 5.56.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top