JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This post is more me just barking at the wind, but a couple months back I bought a plain Ruger 10/22 carbine with black stock, because I really just wanted a good old fashion cheap plinking rifle and I thought it was a travesty I didn't own a .22 gun of some sort.
One time out with it and I already decided I needed to do something about the bolt catch. Fast forward to last week and began to order parts. First I went with a Volquartsen buffer pin, extractor and auto bolt release. Everything went in fine except the trigger housing fell apart like a Lego set under my foot, so I had to learn to put that back together. Thank God for YouTube. I also bought a Magpul X-22 stock for it which I really like so far.
I also put in paperwork for a suppressor, so now I needed a threaded barrel. I thought about just getting the stock barrel threaded, but I couldn't help myself. After some looking, I went with a Kidd ultra lightweight fluted bull barrel. I also threw in Kidd charging handle and firing pin while I was at it. Kind of spent my wad for now, so most other improvements, will have to wait. I bought a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 power scope to put on it too.
Anyways, I guess I'm venturing beyond a plinking rifle now. Just like with the AR, once I started I just got that itch.
Anyone have any thoughts, experiences or reccomendations?

Last Edited:
Dont buy busily ....wait for sales and try out what you already have....sounds like a fun build :)
Thanks for the advice, so far it has been. Definitely ready to take it out for a spin before I do much else. The barrel and Magpul stock are the only thing that I've spent any real money on and I feel I got a decent value. Magpul doesn't usually go on sale much in my experience and I don't count the suppressor because I can use that on future .22s I may purchase. I have held off on other things like a new bolt, partly because I already have replaced parts.

Last Edited:
Get the kidd trigger. They are bonkers at 1.5#.

I'd say the volquartsen bolt, but you already upgraded the stock a bit.

You already bought a barrel, but you should have looked at the tactical solutions SBX, especially since your going to be adding a can in time.

10-22 modification are addicting.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

I did some upgrades,

Bolt buffer
Weigand Combat Integramount (one piece scope mount)
Hawke 2-7 scope with adjustable objective (excellent for me 75 yards or less)
Extended Magazine Release
Volquartsen extractor
Sent trigger group to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their Tier 2 treatment.

Had but removed the below listed items and went back to stock barrel and wood stock:
Hogue overmold rubber stock
Green Mountain 16", fluted bull barrel

So far I'm still happy with my barrel purchase, but I'll reserve final judgment until I install it and get some trigger time behind it. As for other upgrades, it started out as just wanting to upgrade the the bolt release and get it suppressor ready, but of course it wasn't in my nature to leave it at that. I think I would have gone with a upgraded trigger and bolt in hindsight. In any case, I still can and probably will, it just won't be at the moment. "Rabbit hole" indeed. So many options and thanks for the reccomendations so far. I've already learned a ton on the 10/22 in the last few days.

Last Edited:
So far I'm still happy with my barrel purchase, but I'll reserve final judgment until I install it and get some trigger time behind it. As for other upgrades, it started out as just wanting to upgrade the the bolt release and get it suppressor ready, but of course it wasn't in my nature to leave it at that. I think I would have gone with a upgraded trigger and bolt in hindsight. In any case, I still can and probably will, it just won't be at the moment. "Rabbit hole" indeed. So many options and thanks for the reccomendations so far. I've already learned a ton on the 10/22 in the last few days.
You can easily turn this hindsight into another 10-22.

Still resisting major mods on mine but I did have to put some volquartsen trigger parts in to make it tolerable. Barrel was factory threaded and does fine for my purposes. Now when I purchase any new firearm I try to get it with a threaded barrel of it is an option. Saves money in the long run. Have fun!

Trigger is a must. Unless its changed in last 5 years since ive bought one, Its one of the worst stock ones. You can give it a free trigger job till ya drop the coin for a drop in.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews