JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a pair of Danners (older equivalent of what they call Rainforest now), bought in 1987 that have been to Alaska five times since, and are still eminently serviceable and waterproof and as bedroom-slipper comfortable as the first day I put them on. These are all leather, and that is what is necessary (along with regular application of Huberd's) for waterproof boots. The only contender would be a rubber-lower boot (Schnee's or similar).

As I viewed the pictures here of the failed Rockys, I am reminded that I prefer boots of leather or fabric construction around my foot, as they conform with time to the individual characteristics of the foot for added comfort. Boots with rubber in the lower (even the rubber toed ones) never forgive where contact with the foot is concerned.

I have another pair of Danners that is even older, but they are the ones partially constructed of Cordura nylon (makes for a lighter boot), otherwise identical shape and design as the all-leather pair. They are still serviceable, on their third set of soles, and I cannot say they ever were totally waterproof.

I will also honestly add that these boots are not ALWAYS employed on every hunting trip. The all-leather Danners are my Sherman Tank boots, in that they are utilized for the worst of the worst of conditions. For lighter hunts, I wear a lighter boot. I actually had GOOD experience with Rockys, particularly the Outback: a light duty all-leather and reliably waterproof boot ideal for bird hunting bowhunting or chasing Pronghorn. I bought two pairs of these, with the expectation to get 3-5 hard hunting seasons out of each pair, and was not disappointed. My "goat-chasing" boots now are Danner Jackals. Second pair of these, and with similar (fully expected) longevity as the Outbacks.

The Jackals are a Cordura boot, lined with Gore-Tex, advertised as "waterproof", but I knew better when I bought them. Even with a liberal application of "Camp Dry" (silicone spray), the Jackals will resist the constant attack of dew-laden grass for only so long. The compensation is a boot that is tennis-shoe light in weight.

My brother in Alaska has a favorite saying: "Gore-Tex is nice. Rubber is waterproof." I would add, "So are leather Danners partnered regularly and liberally with Huberd's"

I have a set of Montrail Gore-Tex boots I've been using for maybe close to 6 years. They are great, fit me extremely well and still keep the water out. When I hunt i take those and some insulated Gore-Tex boots made by Columbia. Regardless of weather my feet always come back nice and dry. Even last year standing in showers trying to deer hunt locally, my boots were solid.

EDIT: Huh....just checked and it looks like Montrail is no longer making hiking boots.

Do they still make Westcoast boots? I wore them for years on construction jobs. Heat them with a hair dryer and put some sno seal on and you have dry feet for all day.

Crud, I have a new pair of Rockys that are barely worn. Shorter version with steel toes. BTW I once had a pair of new Timberlands literally disintegrate (the soles)

I had the same experience with some Browning boots. I took them back to Coastal and got some Wolverines for just a bit more. I recently also bought a pair of Danners. No issues with either the Wolverines or the Danners. I do a lot of walking in the lava flows while deer hunting. That's really hard on boots.

I had a pair of Wolverines quickly split right across the center of the sole.. both of them. Unfortunately this happened while I was out in the woods trying to work in the rain. Too bad, they were comfortable, lightweight and carried me through one actual personal fight out in the woods

In contrast my rubberized German surplus poncho has never let me down @ 15 bucks

I used to buy Wolverines. When they were "assembled" in the USA, I would get years out of them, wearing them daily. Once the tag changed to show they were made elsewhere, that changed. To go from 3 or so years of life to 6 months? Nope, not goin down that road again... I found some Wolverines that I really liked before I bought the Red wings mentioned above. But, then I remembered how unhappy I was with the last set and decided against that.

Brutus, the set that took a crap on me sound like the ones you describe. I certainly hope you're getting better life out of them than I did. I really liked them before they died.

Agreed Wolverines used to be a respectable brand. I am still using the one i bought 8 years ago when they were made in the USA. I bought another pair a year ago and it was crap feel apart in a matter of months. Just goes to show the difference in made in china vs made in the good olde usa.

I have been saving up for a pair of Danners(ouch on the prices). My brother who is a logger uses the danner Loggers and he has nothing but praise for them. His were made in Portland..... have they since changed to made in china??

And sorry to hear about the Rocky boots usually Rocky is pretty dependable I use them for my waterfowl gear and have held up nicely. Maybe you should try calling rocky and telling them the soles were defective and tore apart they made offer a replacement.

Just my 2cents

JP

Do they still make Westcoast boots? I wore them for years on construction jobs. Heat them with a hair dryer and put some sno seal on and you have dry feet for all day.
You mean Wesco in Scapoose? Yea, they are still there.. since 1918.. have a new fancy building at the same place, too.
My favorite.. I have a pair and they'll never wear out.

http://www.wescoboots.com/wesco/home.asp

...Maybe you should try calling rocky and telling them the soles were defective and tore apart they made offer a replacement.

Just my 2cents

JP

Tried this JP, Rocky customer service told me they would not repair or replace or credit. I got all the way to a VP who told me that Rocky didn't need my business and if I was not satisfied then don't buy their boots.

I will NEVER buy a Rocky product again.

Tried this JP, Rocky customer service told me they would not repair or replace or credit. I got all the way to a VP who told me that Rocky didn't need my business and if I was not satisfied then don't buy their boots.

Holy cow! Really?!?!?!?

I used to deal in customer service. I would have offered replacement just to keep a customer happy. (I dealt with manual transmissions, not something as inexpensive as a pair of boots)

With a response like that from a VP, I think I'd file a case in small claims court. Either they don't show and lose, or you force them to pay out a bunch more than a pair of boots fighting you. Even if you lost, it would cost them plenty.

Holy cow! Really?!?!?!?

I used to deal in customer service. I would have offered replacement just to keep a customer happy. (I dealt with manual transmissions, not something as inexpensive as a pair of boots)

With a response like that from a VP, I think I'd file a case in small claims court. Either they don't show and lose, or you force them to pay out a bunch more than a pair of boots fighting you. Even if you lost, it would cost them plenty.

Personally never liked walking in a dish. I would never give that company a dime. Justin and Danner make some good stuff, although Justin is my personal favorite with their Double Comfort system.

I have had over 5 pairs in the last 9 years. The Double Comfort system alleviated the need for Orthopedic Insoles which are around 400 bucks a pair. And the Justin product I use usually competes or beats the foreign brands hands down when on sale.

I highly recommend JUSTIN BOOTS!

I bought a pair of Salomen boots a few years ago, I've been extremely pleased with their durability, comfort etc. Even though I like Danner boots, I don't think I'd go back to Danners anytime soon.

Danner. The caveat is that they have at least three grades of boots in terms of construction: boots made in house, boots made in house from imported materials, and imported boots. I would say you get what you pay for except when there's a sale and you get a $330 boot for $60 out the door :) That said, I bought a pair of Garmont full-grain leather backpacking boots in 2001 and they're still going strong after using them as work boots and for mountain climbing. That's at least partly because I take care of the leather.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top