JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone,
As the title states, What are the most quiet boots for hunting? I like to walk about the area I am hunting and the hardest element for me to quiet is my boots. I am not great at walking slow or taking my time. :/ It's something I do try to do, but fail at misserably. So I am asking this wonderful and most knowledgeable community what are the foot wear options or what do I need to look for in my hunting boots? I primarily hunt the Ochoco National forest for deer in October. I'm half tempted to just wear my work boots (thorogood 8" mock toe with wedge sole) this year instead of hunting boots, but I know I will have limited traction in mud, grass that's layed down, and climbing up hills. That being said they seem quiet to my ear at least.

Hi everyone,
As the title states, What are the most quiet boots for hunting? I like to walk about the area I am hunting and the hardest element for me to quiet is my boots. I am not great at walking slow or taking my time. :/ It's something I do try to do, but fail at misserably. So I am asking this wonderful and most knowledgeable community what are the foot wear options or what do I need to look for in my hunting boots? I primarily hunt the Ochoco National forest for deer in October. I'm half tempted to just wear my work boots (thorogood 8" mock toe with wedge sole) this year instead of hunting boots, but I know I will have limited traction in mud, grass that's layed down, and climbing up hills. That being said they seem quiet to my ear at least.
Most boots are quiet but wearing work boots may not be so great as you do not want the scent they may have........

The scent is more important to me so you wouldnt want boots that may have chemicals or such soaked in them.

I hunted for decades and walked many a mile doing it, I love the outdoors. Boots that are comfortable on the feet are the most quiet to walk with. Now days I like a certain model of soul in a Danner boot that rolls while you walk. It's a short boot but supports the ankle well. :s0093:

Something to consider here is also , just how you walk...

Lift your feet , watch where you step , walk in short spurts , not long distance strides or as in continuous movement...
Avoid pushing brush out of the way...and if you do...hold on to the brush as you pass and don't let it spring back into place....things like that.

As far as boots go...Hmmm
I usually hunt in moccasins...So I'd second the notion of having a pair of boots that fit well and are solely
( pun intended) used for hunting.
Andy

No experience with less loud boots, but the softshell waterproof pants do make less noise I've found.

A large part of my hunting is done in quality, well fitting athletic shoes.

Even in cool weather good socks will keep your feet warm.

Most people are 'overkill' when it comes to footwear when hunting - and with hunting your movement should be kept to a minimum as much as possible. Hunting should not be an 'extended' hiking event but that sometimes happens. Regardless lighter, well fitting footwear with good soles are much more practical than massive leather boots I often see.

A large part of my hunting is done in quality, well fitting athletic shoes.

Even in cool weather good socks will keep your feet warm.

Most people are 'overkill' when it comes to footwear when hunting - and with hunting your movement should be kept to a minimum as much as possible. Hunting should not be an 'extended' hiking event but that sometimes happens. Regardless lighter, well fitting footwear with good soles are much more practical than massive leather boots I often see.
Most people go way overboard on hunting gear entirely, to simply drive around in a bright arse red dodge diesel that can be heard from a mile or two away.

I rarely wear camo hunting. Most of the time I want to be as bright as F.

I agree though, shoes you wear hiking, will likely be just as good for hunting. Even if they aren't leather and are bright neon green.

All the boots specific to hunting I have bought were foreign made, and turned out to be crap. Anything with "Gore Tex" is immediately off my list due to they don't breathe, and I sweat in my boots, a lot. One year, wore my Red Wing work boots out hunting. They worked better than the hunting junk I had been using, and have used work or work style boots since.
I have found that walking in grass, leaves, boggy wood and gravel all make different sounds. In the coastal range, I'll encounter all four.
Here are observations over the years:
Danner Viscious : probably the quietest in leaves, wood, loud as phuck on gravel. I mean, obnoxious.
Danner Loggers : quietest in grass, quiet in leaves and wood, acceptable on gravel.
Keen (don't know the specific model). They suck, ruined the brand for me.
NoName Boots : bought at Goodwill, wish I would have recorded the brand. Super hard sole, would have thought loud on gravel. Very quiet on *all* surfaces, not too good for steep slopes. They'd be the best all around boot 'cept for the steel toe and they're not a good 10 mile hiker.

Going to go pick up a pair of Danner Mocs. After getting them worn-in well and oiled, will see how they do.

Part of the noise generated by walking is how you walk, big flat feet like mine make alot of noise because they hit the ground all at once (fap, fap, fap). If I remember to do a heel to toe roll it's a much more quiet walk.

Part of the noise generated by walking is how you walk, big flat feet like mine make alot of noise because they hit the ground all at once (fap, fap, fap). If I remember to do a heel to toe roll it's a much more quiet walk.
Agreed. I change my gait for the surface. Can't help on dry leaves but to avoid, and have found, gravel is one of those things that the sole of the boot makes all the difference.
Edit to add: have snuck up on elk cows. Never knew how loud they were. Deer, on the other hand, are silent - amazed me at how quiet they are.
@Andy54Hawken - I'll bet your Mocs are super quiet. Do you make your own, or where do you buy?

@Andy54Hawken - I'll bet your Mocs are super quiet. Do you make your own, or where do you buy?
They are custom made copies of either eastern center seam...or a high top...as in ankle high..."pucker toe" plains style...not sure who made 'em...they are historically correct.

I have made my own...and that works...but it is time consuming.

Dyer Mocs are the best over the counter mocs I have seen...they are spendy but worth every penny.
Andy

Any boot is going to make noise walking. I know some hunters will switch to moccasins or even double or triple up on socks when then truly want to put the stalk on an animal.

I like comfy boots:

1627764101470.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top