Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rocket Launcher at Seattle Gun Buyback

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mattdomes, Jan 29, 2013.

1. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

2. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Looks like a game of "how many cops will look down the barrel of a rocket launcher" to me.

Vex, FourTeeFive, titsonritz and 3 others like this.
  3. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

4. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I liked the "please airsoft responsibly" part! :thumbup:

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

:lolbeat::lolbeat:

Looks like there's no need to send them in

:lolbeat::lolbeat:

6. davemata

davemata Spokane, WA Well-Known Member

So the cops stole it from him, then stuck a giftcard in his hand.

Lame.

7. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

I got to shoot one once at White Sands, back in 1979. They are freakin awesome! We were told to drive over them after firing.

But yeah, minus battery, that's nothing more than a fiberglass tube, a plastic flip out sight and some plumbing to get the coolant from the battery to the seeker head.

8. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Seems like anything that shows gun owners in a bad light makes the national new, but nothing about the good uses of firearms does!

9. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

Big deal. I have one hanging in my reloading room.

10. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

That would be a cool novelty item for a man cave.

Leave it to the lying media and scumbags to portray it as a huge public service to take that out of public hands. My lava lamp is more dangerous.

11. PiratePast40

Those sound like some very basic sights. There were some models with much more complex sighting systems and running over them is definately not recommended. Radioactive material cleanup isn't cheap!

12. mancat

If what you're saying is that you don't believe the link, note that the description even says "once fired." It's not a fake launcher. They are out of stock now, though.

13. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

That was 'war time' disposal, any other time you'd have to account for every last nut and bolt. IIRC, they claimed you could make a make shift mortor tube out of it. Considering the area would probably be littered with depleted urianium rounds, a glow in the dark sight would be inconsequential.

The Stinger was much more complex, it had the IFF transponder system built into it. The Air Force wasn't thrilled with the Redeye, a nervous quick fingered private could make junk out of a multi-million dollar jet fighter.

14. PiratePast40

No, not that at all. I have no doubt that they can be purchased on the open market. If you click through the pictures, you'll see the airsoft stamp on several of them. Just struck me as funny to see an airsoft warning on a rocket launcher!

15. boarder4life81

boarder4life81 Eugene, Oregon Active Member

So I was curious if this person had actually broken any laws by purchasing this thing on a street corner? I checked the ATF website (ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Firearms) and it appears he was still suppose to file paperwork with them. If someone has better knowledge (I don't doubt many do) I would love to know. If the device was unserviceable he could have had it transferred "tax free". Is that (the transfer) something that would have had to be done at a FFL or could he have completed the paperwork with the person selling? Personally I think that's a little excessive for a paperweight.

16. soulrider

soulrider Aloha/Beaverton Member

There is always a launcher at a gun buyback... lol... ever notice that?

17. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Could never be communist propaganda.. naw

18. SCARed

SCARed Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Theres a thread about it in Arf.com. The guy who bought the launcher has posted what happened. Sounds like hes lawyering up.

19. mancat

Yeah he pretty much will have to lawyer up. I can almost guarantee you that if SPD traces back that launcher, they'll find that it was sold as surplus by the US Army. At that point, since it is not a destructive device, they are bound by law to return it to the man who is now its lawful owner.

20. Fiorina

Fiorina Federal Way, WA Member

Did anyone go down there to try and buy any of the weapons people were turning in?