JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Riton Optics (pronounced "right on") is a relatively new rifle scope manufacturer based out of Tucson, Arizona. Their web page indicates they started in 2013, but I've only heard of them recently; I think their scopes have been in stores just since 2017 or so. Based on a friend's recommendation, I recently acquired their Conqueror X7 in 3-24X56. Since they're still relatively new I figured a review here on NWFA might be at least somewhat beneficial. I'll start with a first impressions review, followed at a later date by range results. Just to be clear, I have no affiliation with Riton Optics, or with any shooting sports company for that matter. Just a hunter/shooter here in PNW.

Riton's Conqueror series of scopes runs in odd numbers from 1 to 3 to 5 to 7. The Conqueror X7 that I bought is a 3-24X56 front focal plane scope manufactured in Japan. Riton's website shows a suggested retail price of $2099.99, but you should be able to get it around $1200 like I did. This scope will be used mostly for hunting, but I do enjoy long-distance target practice around 1000 yards, so this is mounted on a CA MPR 300 PRC to serve both of those missions.

This model has a red illuminated reticle, what Riton calls an ODEN reticle with MRAD (milliradian) increments, powered by a standard CR2032 wafer battery. I expect ODEN stands for something, but I have no idea what. A pic of the reticle is shown at the bottom of this post. It's designed for long-range use and so a bit on the busy side for my taste, but certainly not as bad as some. There are six stops between low and high illumination, and each stop is the most positive I've felt on any scope, while still silent. The turrets adjust in 1/10th MRAD increments for fine tuning; since 1 MRAD is equivalent to 36" at 1000 yards, each adjustment click is equivalent to a 3.6 inch change in point of impact at a thousand. Clicks on the windage and elevation turrets are very positive, both in terms of what you hear and what you feel. They're also plenty large, 1.5 inches in diameter, which of course helps when you're wearing gloves on a cold elk hunt. The milliradian laser etchings are clear, though a bit more silvery than white, so may not stand out super well in low-light conditions. This scope doesn't have removable turret covers, but instead uses a zero stop with a set screw near the outside edge.

A couple of nice throw-ins that came with the Riton are flip covers for both the objective and ocular ends of the scope, as well as a built-in throw lever for the magnification ring; again, that helps when wearing gloves. Riton has opted to do without yardage markings on the parallax adjustment knob, which is logical when you think about it, but still a bit of a departure from other scopes. Lenses are multi-coated, low-light enhanced, fog proof, waterproof, and argon purged, pretty much what we've come to expect from any decent scope.

Dimensionally, this scope is 14 7/8 inches from lens cap to lens cap and the "aircraft" aluminum tube is 34mm diameter, which was one of the attractions I liked about it. Riton rings for attachment to a picatinny rail are available on their website; the 34mm hardened steel version costs $135, so around the cost of equivalent Leupold rings, maybe a bit less. You can upgrade to rings with a horizontal level built into the base, but those cost more than $200 and I just didn't see myself using that feature. The Riton website says the scope weights 35 ounces, so a bit over two pounds on top of a rifle. There are probably lighter scopes out there, but with a 34mm tube and 56-inch objective, not much lighter. The additional couple pounds might actually help with recoil on a light rifle when shooting a fairly stout cartridge like 300 PRC (that, my friends, is what we call rationalization).

The Riton's lenses are really nice. Virtually no distortion at the edges, uber clear, and great light gathering. I was impressed by the clarity, even on one of those dreary January days like we get in PNW. The Japanese do know how to make a very fine lens. Same as Leupold and other scope manufacturers, Riton offers a lifetime guarantee, but I like how they phrase it: "Not repair, just replace. Flat out. That simple. No proof of purchase or registration required." In other words, it doesn't matter if you're the original purchaser, you're still covered by the Riton lifetime replacement warranty. Sweet.

On balance it looks like this scope will be a good new hunting partner. I expect the day will come when I'm dragging poundage up a mountainside and wishing it weighed less than two pounds, but on the other hand a two-pound scope is in the ballpark for my other rigs so not complaining. There are a wide variety of quality scopes you can buy in the $1200 range, and I expect few if any of them would be a "bad" purchase, so it should come as no surprise that this Riton Conqueror X7 impresses me positively. I'll leave it to others to opine as to which scope represents the best bang for the buck in that price range. Here is the ODEN redicle:
1642209387221.png

Love my Ritons!

Seems this is a golden age for optics. There are all kinds of options we didn't see when I was getting into firearms, and even then some were pretty iffy. Today it seems all are great options at their price points.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top