JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Rex Tibor of Sniper 101 fame reviews PA's micro prism. This scope is the same size as a micro dot, but has all the advantages of a prism and PA's ACSS reticle. I have the larger previous generation version and like it a lot. The smaller size and weight as well as improved eye relief should make this a solid choice for CQB to medium ranges.
1627741711591.png

I've got the GLX on a few, which I think has slightly better glass. They are very nice options. Side by side with an older Acog, very comparable. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of these SLX models to compare the two.

Am I right in thinking the advantage that the 1x prism has over a traditional reflex/red dot is the ability to employ more advanced reticles?

Is a lens still prismatic if it's not magnified? (1x is not magnified, correct?)

Am I right in thinking the advantage that the 1x prism has over a traditional reflex/red dot is the ability to employ more advanced reticles?

Is a lens still prismatic if it's not magnified? (1x is not magnified, correct?)
1X is not magnified, but you can get prismatics in 2x, 2.5x, 3x, 5x and I;m certain other magnifications.

Advantages of a prismatic over a red dot are:
  • They have an etched reticle so if the battery fails you still have a usable sight

• The etched reticle also allows it to be something other than a simple dot. ACSS allows for a very fast target acquisition but also gives bullet drop and lateral speed (walking/running compensation) and ranging.

In my Vortex prisms there are concentric circle around the center dot that puts my eye on target MUCH faster than a single got.

• People with astigmatism can see through them without blurring.
The main advantages of a red dot over a prism are:
  • The dot is always on target even if your eye is way off center
  • Red dots are very forgiving on eye relief
  • Red dots are lighter since they don't have a prism.
Vortex Spitfire
1627749672544.png

Cyclops ACSS - can be used quickly in CQB, but at distance has the tools for an accurate shot
1627749801453.png
1627749872498.png

Ranging is based on a typical shoulder width
1627749952047.png

I've got the GLX on a few, which I think has slightly better glass. They are very nice options. Side by side with an older Acog, very comparable. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of these SLX models to compare the two.
GLX is a tier above SLX for glass quality. The 1x Cyclops scopes I bought last summer are SLX and to me are as clear as though there was no glass. Might be difference in harsh or low light for these?

Advantages of a prismatic over a red dot are:
  • The etched reticle also allows it to be something other than a simple dot. ACSS allows for a very fast target acquisition but also gives bullet drop and lateral speed (walking/running compensation) and ranging.
No longer true, you can have complex reticles in red dots and not only etched prismatics.

PA's MD-25 is a red dot with the ACSS-QCB reticle https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-rotary-knob-25mm-microdot-with-acss-5.56-reticle

I have both the Slx 1x Micro Prism and the MD-25 ACSS, and I only prefer the Slx Micro Prism because of my astigmatism. Highly recommend both, the 1x Micro Prism has surprisingly clear glass and great eye relief for a prism optic.

Last Edited:
Per primary arms, the 3x micro should be available for preorder in December. Kind of holding out for one of those over the 1x.

No longer true, you can have complex reticles in red dots and not only etched prismatics.

PA's MD-25 is a red dot with the ACSS-QCB reticle https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-rotary-knob-25mm-microdot-with-acss-5.56-reticle

I have both Slx 1x Micro Prism and the MD-25 ACSS, and I only prefer the Slx Micro Prism because of my astigmatism. Highly recommend both, the 1x Micro Prism has surprisingly clear glass and great eye relief for a prism optic.
Seriously makes me wish I didn't have astigmatism because of the excellent eye relief latitude that red dots have. Unfortunately for me all I've ever seen through a red dot was a large red blur.

I received mine a week or so ago and it is good. Similar to earlier 1x PA prism that I like, but very compact.

I do think that the chevron reticle is quite small, such that there is no practical use of top point of chevron versus base of chevron, but I am using it on a PCC at 50 yds or so, so not an issue. Also kind of surprised that it doesn't have turret caps.

I am pleased with it, as it effectively offers a micro-sized alternative to red dots for folks with astigmatism.

I have a 5x, but it just doesn't do much for me. I wanted it for the AR, but the 5x just doesn't seem like a 5x magnification rate. I'll give it a couple more tries, but most likely sell it and move on to something different.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top